Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tarp rubbing question

Hello,

I have seen a number of folks talk about their tarp rubbing on their suspension systems as a pitfall. I am not sure I understand what folks are talking about on this one. What is rubbing against what? Can someone briefly explain the scenario under which this happens and why this is a problem?

Thanks.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I have been here for a while and I still don't get this as a concern either.

What most folks are referring to is the tarp ridgeline being hung under the tarp...that way the tarp is in contact with the RL and they feel it might rub and cause wear and tear on the tarp. But if the RL is tight and the tarp is tight then neither should be moving agains each other enough to matter. Wear comes from friction and without moment there should not be any friction created. Some folks use this train of though to explain why they hang the tarp below the RL. Personally I don't get it...but to each their own.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Or they could be referring to when their hammock suspension contacts the tarp? This usually occurs when the trees are closer together than optimal. There can be some tension on the ends/edges of the tarp from the hammock suspension, which could be cause for concern. While I try to avoid this when possible, it's happened to me a few times with no damage I could find.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Sometimes I think they can mean that their hammock straps can be rubbing against their tarp ridgeline. This is why a longer tarp is not always better. I tried to demonstrate this scenario in a picture by raising my hammock straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Yes, some people will say they can "hear" the whoopies or straps rubbing against the tarp ridgeline and it bothers them. Derek at The Ultimate Hang even came up with a V tarp suspension for people who are afflicted with this rare disorder. Personally, if I ever "hear" my hammock suspension rubbing against my tarp suspension, I will seek the help of a mental health professional.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I really appreciate the responses so far. My apologies for the somewhat nebulous nature of my question... I think I am starting to see what people mean.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Personally, if I ever "hear" my hammock suspension rubbing against my tarp suspension, I will seek the help of a mental health professional.
    They will probably just refer you to "The Ultimate Hang"

Images
    If your hammock suspension is hitting or rubbing the edge of your tarp you just need to raise the tarp enough until it no longer touches. In most cases this will be 3-6 inches.
    One of the main reasons to own a longer larger tarp is you do not have to lay it on your hammocks RL hennessee hammock style.

Raise it up an ((( be free ))) . Walk under your tarp without hunching over.

My best example of hammock suspension hitting tarp edge. The fix raise the tarp.

This hammock kit is a WBBB 10' with an OES Delux tarp RL length is 10.5' x8'

Here is the same two trees this time sporting an 11' Dream hammock and a TtoTTG 12x10 tarp with one set of doors.
    Note hammock suspension does not touch tarp.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 06-27-2016 at 19:06.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    It's not so much hearing it as feeling it, in my experience. Before my current setup adapted from Derek Hanson's "double V", when I had my tarp hung low in storm mode and it rubbed against my hammock suspension, the rubbing created vibrations that transmitted through the hammock. Not necessarily troublesome, but easily avoidable.

Hammock
    WBBXL
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    Yeti/Diamond
    Suspension
    whoopies/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Yes, some people will say they can "hear" the whoopies or straps rubbing against the tarp ridgeline and it bothers them. Derek at The Ultimate Hang even came up with a V tarp suspension for people who are afflicted with this rare disorder. Personally, if I ever "hear" my hammock suspension rubbing against my tarp suspension, I will seek the help of a mental health professional.
    SilvrSurfr-
    I see your posts fairly regularly. We think alike in many ways, but I do not own a hammock yet. I think I want a WB XLE in 1.7 single, probably with a CF Standard tarp from HG, and a Phoenix 20 or 40 degree UQ. The folks at WB thought the XLE would be better than a single 1.1 regular BB. I am right at 6' and weigh 150. Do you have a tarp that will work for both hammock and ground? Is there such a beast? I would appreciate your input.
    Bruce Johnson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast