HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

NC>Halloween Hunger Hang>Merchants Mill Pond SP>October 2016

Halloween Hang AKA 3rd Annual Hunger Hang Planning Thread

Someone beat me to getting the sites for halloween weekend so I have reserved them for the weekend before:

Thursday 20 October thru Sunday 23 October 2016

Who: Hammock Hangers and or hammock hanger wantabes who just want to learn about hammock camping. Spend one or two or three nights or just come by for the day to visit. This will be our 7th group hang at the park ( if I counted correctly ).

What: Hammocking in the woods at beautiful Merchants Mill Pond State Park

When: 12 noon Thursday to 1 PM Sunday. Group sites 1 and 2 have been reserved.

Where:Merchants Mill Pond State Park
    176 Millpond Road, Gatesville,NC 27938-9440
    GPS: 36.437105, -76.701585
    http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/memi/main.php

How: Sign up sheet is Here

The sign up sheet has a sheet for those attending, a meal planning sheet and a “need to borrow some gear” sheet. Look at the bottom of the page to view the various sheets.

There will be a check in sheet at the hang, so when you arrive, please check in so we will know who has shown up ( name tags will be available or bring your own )

Raffle........... I am not planning on doing a raffle this year. As much as I like raffles...its alot of work. If someone is willing to do the work contacting the vendors ect then let me know.

Vendors are welcome to attend the hang to show off their toys ( and we always like to see new toys )

Note..This is a family friendly event. No alcohol is allowed per Park rules

Link to Google park map..https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...51!3d36.433127

This park is located in the North East Corner of eastern North Carolina.This is very convenient to hangers living in Eastern NC and South East VA

At the drive in Group Camp Grounds
    Site# 1 is reserved for Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
    Site # 2 is reserved for Friday and Saturday night

Site # 1 can handle apporx 25+ hangers
    Site # 2 can handle aprrox 15 +hangers
    ( plus stands and tents )

• Each site has 2 fire rings and 3 picnic tables
    • Water is available at Site # 1 and the Bathhouse
    • Parking is available next to Site # 1
    • There are rest rooms ( hot and cold water ) and a shower ( the shower stall is huge, larger than most home showers). Hopefully we will not have any scouts fixing BBQ Pig in the shower this time.

Bear Fortune Cookies ( tents ) are welcomed. Come on down and learn about hammocks. I usually bring my extra gear to share.

If you need to borrow gear and or want to try camping in a hammock then let us know. Many of us have extra gear and are happy to lend it out.

If you have hammock stands ( Turtle Dog Stands, Hammeck Stands ect, please bring them to share in case we get more hangers than the trees will support).

I am planning on bring 5 stands and will share at least 3 of them.

Getting there .....The group campgrounds are located in the South West corner of the park. The entrance to the Group Sites is located on the Left if heading North or on the Right if going South on Mill Pond Rd. The group site is South of the turn to the Rangers Station. I will post a large yellow sign again to mark the turn off. Even knowing where it is, I have driven by the turn off several times ( it kind of sneaks up on you ).

GPS for gate to group sites... N 36 25.542 W 07641.928
    drive down the dirt road about 500 ft.... parking to the Left.

How much.. Recommend at least a $15 donation per person for the weekend to cover cost of campgrounds. I have already paid for the sites up front. It will cost about $320 for the camp sites for the weekend ( the price of the sites has gone up by $60.00 ). If we collect more that that then we can use the excess for firewood, food and or as a deposit towards the next hang.You can pay via Paypay to gswheat@ gmail.com. Please make a note that you are paying for the hang and use the “Send money to friends and family”.

Activities...

• Canoeing and Kayaking ( the park rents canoes and kayaks if you do not have one )
    • Fishing (you must have a NC fresh water fishing license,they are not sold at park)
    • Hiking.. several trails with the longest being 7 miles.
    • Photography opportunities
    • Spot the alligators( yes there are gators here )
    • Afternoon hammock studies (taking a nap in your hammock)
    • Check out other hangers setups (please ask the owner's permission before getting into their hammock)
    • Telling tall tales and or out right lies ( not sure if there is a difference) and bad jokes
    • Games...The Terminator has some games she plans to bring.

This is an isolated State Park...
    - There is a stop and rob ( convenience store about 1/2 mile north of the park office.
    - The nearest town of Sunbury,is about 5 miles east of the park and the one grocery store was closed earlier this year ( I don't know if it has reopened), Dollar General, and a couple of gas stations.
    - The town of Gates is about 9 miles north west and has a small grocery store and gas station. I have not been there so I have no idea what they sell.
    - The closest towns, Ahoskie, Murfreesboro, Edenton, Elizebeth City NC, Franklin and Suffolk VA are about a 35+ minute drive. There is a Walmart located at Ahoskie, Franklin and Suffolk.

Group Meals.....
    A chance to break out those trusty Dutch Ovens and make your favorite... (Open to discussion, ideas ect...Halloween Theme...). I am sure Hotlips will plan some good eats for us.

FireWood …..If anyone can bring fire wood it would be a help.

If you are new to hammock hanging and are bringing some new DIY gear and have not tested it before attending the hang then please let us know so a more experience hanger can check out your gear and make sure you will be ok. We had a new hanger bring a DIY UQ to a hang that was not warm enough for the temperatures at night and ended up sleeping in their car the first night. It's no fun being wet and or cold at night and we want you to have a good time.

This Park does have lots of poisonous snakes and ticks so be aware. Hopefully it will be cool enough that it not be an issue. We have spotted snakes but they have not been a problem. There have been several ticks getting friendly with some of the hangers. At one hang we did have a raccoon getting into one of the trash cans at night after everyone went to sleep.

Drive Times to park (approximate )
    From Norfolk VA.................1hr
    From Morehead City NC....3 hrs
    From Raleigh NC..................2.5 hrs

I will be placing the large yellow “Hammock Hang” sign on the Hwy across from the turn off to the group site. You will drive down a dirt road a few hundred feet and come to a big sign. Group Site 1 will be on your right.
    Last edited by gunner76; 06-25-2016 at 16:36.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    On the sign up sheet and on the calendar. Yippee!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Will see you there

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    I'm in. Thanks for setting this up.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    A lot of hangs to attend in the fall. Will try to be there again. Maybe we can get some kayaking in.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While I do not last long in a canoe or kayak these days, I would not getting out for a few minutes

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    While I do not last long in a canoe or kayak these days, I would not getting out for a few minutes
    Or we can do that 7 mile trail that is there.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Images
    Last year this was my (and the wife) fist hang... loved it. I (we) will be there depending on the work schedule.
    As soon as I can get the travel schedule I will add my name to the list.
    Thanks Gunner for setting this up again.

On the sheet! Merchant's is still unchecked on Operation Visit Every State Park, so this is a great opportunity. Only question is whether one or two daughters comes, which depends on how much DIY'ing I can squeeze in this summer.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    On the sheet. Will have 2 stands with me, so in addition to Gunner's forest of stands we'll have extras to share if needed of if anyone just wants to try one out.

Tacoma - I'll bring my kayak if you bring yours... (wait - that strangely sounded weird like "I'll show you mine if you show me yours"...)
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast