WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex 11ft
    Insulation
    EE 30 deg 950 down
    Suspension
    Amsteel

Why I sold my caternary cut hammock

I recently sold my SLD streamliner hammock. After doing so, I received a PM from someone asking me why because they were trying to make a decision between it and a WBBB. In case any one else is interested, I have pasted my response below.

The streamliner is comfortable when laying in it but the edges are taught when getting out of it. This puts pressure on the back of my thigh when I sit sideways to get out. I found that very annoying. I have a WBBB, WBBB XLC, WBRR, Dutchware 11ft hexon wide, SLD treerunner 12 foot, 72" wide. I am only 5'9" 180 pounds but I find the wide ones much more comfortable. The calf ridge in the WBBB and XLC annoyed me. They are 63" wide. In the two wide hammocks I own, the ridge goes right behind my knee so I do not feel it. I really cannot tell much difference between the 11 foot Dutch and the 12 foot SLD. As for the WBRR, I could not sleep on my side as well as the WBBB so I do not find it as comfortable. My 5' 4" daughter likes the WBRR better so that is why I still have it. I will probably be selling the WBBB and XLC at some point unless my daughter decides she likes them better after our next trip.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I had mine made with cat cuts on one long edge and Knotty Mod on the other side so I'd have one side that I could sit on comfortably and get in and out of.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Same for me. I tried the streamliner and wanted to like it. But every time I got in/out of it, I'd feel that pressure behind/under my knees. So there is nothing wrong with the hammock per say. And it is lighter and there is a touch more visibility. And maybe if I were taller (only 5'5") or at least had longer legs, I wouldn't feel it so much. But I have so many others to choose from, I either sent it back or sold it on the forum.

I've had a 10' streamliner for about 3 years and like it. Yes, it does take some getting used to getting in and out and it helps if it's hung low. I don't use it as a lounge around camp type hammock. My use is for winter group camping trips where it's only for sleeping and the remainder of my time is spent around camp. One thing I really like about the design is that all that bulky winter insulation and other gear that ends up in the hammock stays put. I'm planning on having Jared make me an 11' out of hexon 2.4 in the fall.

Here's some info on the design from the SLD website:

"The benefits of this are two fold. It helps to lessen calf ridge and at the same time minimizes the walled in effect from the side material. The width of the hammock is 10 inches narrower in the center, than the width of the fabric. Due to the nature of the Cat Curve, the edges of the hammock do become more taut under load than a regular hammock. "

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    +1 on hanging a streamliner low, I love mine, it's light, has good visibility and never had calf ridge when I've used it. No it's not the choice for using it as a chair, but it's a great sleeping hammock. Mine is a 10' which pairs well with my 10'6" Edge tarp. I also find the Streamliner to be free from shoulder squeeze, I'm 5'11". The idea of a one side cat cut has merit imo. But I have other hammocks for times when I plan to lollygag and not pack a chair. HYOH.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I noticed that with my first SL but it also has grosgrain edging, which Jared no longer does. Interesting that that's reason enough to get rid of it. I've never been bothered by it, as it's up and out for this guy. Maybe I've just gotten used to it over the years?? Can't say I notice a difference the few times I use a different hammock.

• + New Posts