Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge

Desolation Wilderness Hammock Sites

Hey Guys,

I'm planning a 4 day / 3 night trip out to Desolation Wilderness in July. My buddy and I are planning on camping at Middle Velma Lake, Lake Aloha, and then Lake Schmidell.

He's a ground dweller, but I want to use my hammock. I know campsites will be limited with a hammock, but is it doable?

Cheers!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Interested to hear the responses as well. I'm planning a trip there in the fall. There are a number of YouTube vids on the Desolation Wilderness area and it looks good.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    There is guy on YouTube, SacWildlife that hikes quite a bit in Desolation Wilderness, albeit on the ground, but will give you an idea of the terrain. There are plenty of trees although some areas may have more granite but a little searching will pay off. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex 11ft
    Insulation
    EE 30 deg 950 down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Finding which parts of the high sierras that have adequate sites for hanging is not as easy as I would like. I will be going on a trip up part of the PCT in late August from Horseshoe meadow to Onion Valley with a summit of Whitney. When back I will post pictures and locations of everywhere I hang. When you do go on your trip, it would be nice if you posted photos of where you hung as well.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I’m headed to Desolation Wilderness in September and will be base camping in Lake Aloha (section 33). Would love to hear how you made out on your trips. I’ll be the only one in my group with a hammock and am trying to find as much info on site/tree availability as I can. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I backpack and hammock camp in Desolation Wilderness a ton and have done the Tahoe Rim Trail. You can hang every night there and the trees are plentiful.

Hammock
    DW Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Daisy/Strap combo
    There are plenty of trees to hang in at Lake Aloha. I haven't been to the other lakes, but the forest is dense enough. Have fun!

Lake Aloha on the east side is full of trees. Be ready to hang your food or bring a bear can. Also, tons of mosquito spray.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and confirmation of adequate tree cover. Looking forward to my trip next month and being able to utilize my hammock instead of my tent is a bonus. Caught a few videos of the area on YouTube and it looks amazing.

Any recommendations on a couple day hikes in the area? Coming from the east coast and we usually do a couple day hikes then 4 days in the backcountry.

I assume you'll be around the South Lake Tahoe area and since you're a backpacker, elevation and ruggedness probably won't be an issue.
    Some great destinations for day hikes are starting at the Twin Bridges TH and hiking up to Horseshoe Falls and exploring the many small lakes up there, Mt. Tallac (9784'), Pyramid Peak (9980'), Ralston Peak (9209), Eagle Falls (very short hike), Dardanelle or Round Lake (start from Big Meadow TH), start at Carson Pass and go south towards Elephant's Back (9580') and Winnemucca Lake. If you're basecamping at Lake Aloha, you can hit the peaks I just mentioned from there (Mt. Tallac, Pyramid, Ralston), but there are all in different directions. Do you guys have an itinerary for your 4 days in the back country?

Honestly, if I had 4 days to backpack and a couple days to hike in the area, I'd combine them all into one back country trip. With a basecamp at Lake Aloha, you can even go back to Echo Lake chalet and stock up on food if needed!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast