Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Father's Day Gifts

My son and wife gave me a roll of zing it and two Dutch Flyz for Father's Day (I texted my wife the links ). Today was my first attempt at splicing and I thought it went pretty well. I made two soft shackles and two locked brummels to attach the zing it to my tarp for the ridgeline. I was very excited to show my wife and son what I had made, however, they didn't share my enthusiasm. My wife is amused by the simple things that make me happy . So, any other useful pieces of equipment I should learn to make with the zing it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    You could make a ridgeline easy enough too.

My wife shares your wife's enthusiasm I see. The other night I was practicing tying some knots on the couch, and spliced a few continuous loops. She wasn't nearly as excited as I was about showing off my Zeppelin bend knot.

Happy Father's day to you.

Every day is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    You could make a ridgeline easy enough too.

My wife shares your wife's enthusiasm I see. The other night I was practicing tying some knots on the couch, and spliced a few continuous loops. She wasn't nearly as excited as I was about showing off my Zeppelin bend knot.

Happy Father's day to you.
    Thank you. I recently took up sewing as well, and plan on making a new hammock. After the hammock is made, I may indeed try to make a ridgeline. Is it essentially a really long dogbone? Out of curiosity, as I am VERY new to hammocking, what would one use continuous loops for?

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    You can make the ridgeline adjustable, and then it's basically a whoopie sling that's used as a ridgeline.

If you make it fixed, then yes it's just a long dog bone.

You'd use continuous loops to gather the end of a hammock. Zing it is too light for this use, you should use something like amsteel, which is what I used.

I just took up sewing myself, plan to make a hammock soon.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.7 oz ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex 12, Silpol
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I totally feel you. This is a new hobby for me as well. I was sitting on the couch one night with a roll of amsteel making soft shackles and she asked what I was doing. She just shook her head. But now that I offered to make her a hammock for the porch...she is all for it. I had to borrow a sewing machine to make my tarp....and now I know how to sew and she doesn't.

I joked one night, she had a outing with other coworkers and they went to a minor league baseball game while I stayed home and sewed. lol

My father's day gift is still in the mail, so we shall see. I had sent her some ideas though

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IL_Bow_Man View Post
    I joked one night, she had a outing with other coworkers and they went to a minor league baseball game while I stayed home and sewed. lol
    Now, where's a "LIKE" button on here when I need one?!!! LOL
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Quote Originally Posted by IL_Bow_Man View Post
    I totally feel you. This is a new hobby for me as well. I was sitting on the couch one night with a roll of amsteel making soft shackles and she asked what I was doing. She just shook her head. But now that I offered to make her a hammock for the porch...she is all for it. I had to borrow a sewing machine to make my tarp....and now I know how to sew and she doesn't.

My wife has been impressed with my new found sewing skills. She says I sew much better than her. She thought it funny I wanted to sew, but quickly realized she could put me to work making curtains and a big body pillow. I could be doing much worse things to keep myself amused.

Quote Originally Posted by Irregularpulse View Post
    My father's day gift is still in the mail, so we shall see. I had sent her some ideas though
    Any ideas what it might be?

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.7 oz ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex 12, Silpol
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have also taken up making bags for cornhole for is and friends...lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast