Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Big man wants to Hammock Camp, Suggestions?

Hi everyone,

I have recently been introduced to the concept of hammock camping. I played around and made two hammocks from crinkle taffeta tablecloths, played with them in the backyard and they held very well. Decided to try an overnight with them for the heck of it. Turns out I ripped them both. Let me explain. I am not tiny. I am 6'5" tall and 350lbs. The first one I hung I think I caught something on it off my shorts or perhapd the leather case my leather man was in. ...Ok my mistake. So hung the next one and made it through the night al nice and comfy. Come the morning I decided to sit back down for a bit. Well for some dumb reason I thought to lower it one notch when I sat I t just brushed thr ground over a small rack and Rippppppppp. So I am a little fun shy, I am not sure is it a weight issue or is it the fact I hit the ground?

So I am wondering what is out there or will I run into this problem regardless of what I buy. I don't want to spent $300 on a setup and end up ripping it right fast. I even wondered if say the zipper on a sleeping bag could cause this problem with my weight?

So any advice from big guys out there. Should I just stick with the tent?

Thanks all

Ross

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    There are hammocks made out there that will support 350 no problem. Hennessy Hammocks has 3 models rated for 7ft tall/350lbs. just for starters, including one model with a double bottom. I'm sure there are more out there that others will chime in with.

DO NOT go back to a tent!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    You need to consult with "El que Sabe todos" (he who knows all). That would be Dutch at Dutchware. He can fix you up with a double layer that will be perfect. A dl 1.6 wide would hold two of you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    What kind of suspension are you using? How is the suspension connected? I've had great luck with tablecloth hammocks, but there have been reports of dubious quality the last couple of years.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossr View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have recently been introduced to the concept of hammock camping. I played around and made two hammocks from crinkle taffeta tablecloths, played with them in the backyard and they held very well. Decided to try an overnight with them for the heck of it. Turns out I ripped them both. Let me explain. I am not tiny. I am 6'5" tall and 350lbs. The first one I hung I think I caught something on it off my shorts or perhapd the leather case my leather man was in. ...Ok my mistake. So hung the next one and made it through the night al nice and comfy. Come the morning I decided to sit back down for a bit. Well for some dumb reason I thought to lower it one notch when I sat I t just brushed thr ground over a small rack and Rippppppppp. So I am a little fun shy, I am not sure is it a weight issue or is it the fact I hit the ground?

So I am wondering what is out there or will I run into this problem regardless of what I buy. I don't want to spent $300 on a setup and end up ripping it right fast. I even wondered if say the zipper on a sleeping bag could cause this problem with my weight?

So any advice from big guys out there. Should I just stick with the tent?

Thanks all

Ross

First , throw the tent away !!
    I will tell you what i ended up going with after trying the diy route and shopping around i found the PERFECT hammock for me.
    I am 6 ft 1 and wieght 450.00 lbs.
    I had Papa Smurf from Dream hammocks make me a double layer Hammock using 1.6 Hyper D fabric and i can bounce around in it all night long, it is a nice soft yet very strong fabric that i trust completly and feel safe in.!!
    Sure, there may be other options out there but this is what gave me
    ''PIECE OF MIND;
    All i can say is shoot Papa Smurf a message thru his website at Dreamhammocks,com and i'm sure he will help you out.
    In my opinion if you are intent on hammock camping then you cannot go wrong with a set up like mine. I hope this helps big guy!

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    350... I think that is about the average weight on this forum... No worries we have your solution. Call Dutch or Papa Smurf and you will be set.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Images
    As you are happy with a bit of DIY, get some of Dutch's Hexon fabric
    Hexon 2.4 is rated to 400lbs
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/hexon-2.4.html
    or Hexon 1.6 is rated to 350lb
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/hexon-w-1.6.html
    do a double layer in that and it will be bombproof!
    That wide Hexon 1.6 might be a bonus for a big boy like you.

Remember, no sharp stuff in the silky stuff!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    350... I think that is about the average weight on this forum... No worries we have your solution. Call Dutch or Papa Smurf and you will be set.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Agreed,, either way you cannot go wrong!

I made a gathered end for a 375lbs friend from hexon 2.2 single layer. 3000 lb 1" tree straps and cinch buckles. Everything came from dutch. The wife and I were in it for a while that surpassed 500 lbs. The hammock was so comfortable that I had a hard time letting it go. Lol

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    See...all kind of alternatives are available. DO NOT GO BACK TO THE TENT! Tents are evil. As Gunner would say...tents are bear fortune cookies!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast