Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie. COLD night on second trip. Help with UQ/TQ Arrowhead vs EE. Setup. Decisions!

New to Hammock Camping. Not new to hammocks. Have been sleeping in Mayan style hammocks since the early 90's and finally got back to backpacking now that kids are older and getting off the ground to hang.

My new Camping set up:
    Hammock: Dutch Hexon Wide- 18oz (with Snake Skins and Continuous Loops)
    Bug Net: Bottom Entry Bugnet - 6.09
    Tarp: Tad pole tarp - 18oz (Ridgeline, DIY no see um snake skins)
    Suspension: Whoopies, Continuos Loops and Soft Shackles - 8.72 oz (tree straps guy lines and stakes included)
    Total Weight: 51 oz or 3.1 lbs

I spliced my own whoopies, continuous loops and soft shackles from Amsteel. Although I am still struggling with the concept. I still think I just might go to long tree straps and a simple sheet bend knot. Just seems so much easier, faster to set up and probably just as light.

Anyway. Just got back from a second trip with set up. This last go around I got so cold at night I had to bail into tent with kids. I don't have an under quilt yet. I was just using an old synthetic bag (maybe 30 degree I don't know) and Nano puff jacket. Not sure what temp it dropped to but I assume it was in the mid 40's. Couldn't stay warm and had to resort to jumping in tent with kids.

So here I am now searching for the best UQ/TQ setup. Do I splurge and get the lighter, more compressible down options or go the cheaper route and go synthetic?? Looking for guidance on price per weight and just getting it done for comfort.

Here is the deal. I rock older gear. I am slowly upgrading my equipment to get lighter. Started with cookware and stove. Just upgraded my shelter. So its slowly but shirley happening. I am currently at a 20 lb base weight.

So. I am happy with the Dutch Hammock and set up. Now I just need insulation. Looking at the following:

For UQ:
    Down Enlightened Equipment Revolt http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revolt/
    vs
    Synthetic Jarbridge
    http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...nderQuilt.html

For TQ:
    Down Enlightened Equipment Revelation:
    http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/
    vs
    Synthetic Owyhee Top Quilt
    http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...uilt_Long.html

If I go Arrowhead:
    Top Quilt: 31oz
    Bottom Quilt: 20oz
    Total: 51oz or 3.18lbs
    Cost: $290

If I go Enlightened:
    TQ: 22.19oz
    UQ: 18.74oz
    Total: 40.93oz or 2.56 lbs
    Cost: $495

I really want down for weight and space savings. but $200 more bucks is a lot. Especially since I am still rocking a 6 lb pack. But I am slowly working on upgrades.

Can someone who has been through this decision just make it for me so I don't have to go back in forth in my head for months?!?!?!?

Should I just go arrowhead and save the money? I have read the good reviews, but I just don't want to spend $290 now only to spend $495 next year. You all know the dilemma.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by jjmac1235; 06-18-2016 at 21:20.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB/WBSF
    Insulation
    LYNX/WOOKIE
    Suspension
    Dutch strap/buckle
    To me, the size that down compresses down to is the bigger appeal. The price is what has kept me with synthetic.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    The Jarbidge is the best bang for your buck out there. It was to be my first UQ until I fell into a smokin deal on a HG Incubator. My teenage son has one and loves it, and it got me through The Frozen But Hang this Jan as a supplement to the Incubator. The Jarbidge's only down side is it's compressed size, and it's not much of a downside. There's really no reason to look at anything else.

If you're SLOWLY working on upgrades, save the money now for other gear and get down in a few years. The Jarbidge could always get "passed down" to one of the kids if you upgrade to down in the future.

You could also get a CCF pad to use with your bag and delay big expense and decision for a bit

Can't help you much on the TQ, I only have a 20* down. My understanding is synthetics are vapor barriers, to a degree, and down is a better option in TQ's. But I could be wrong on that. For my money though, I'd go with down up top.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Some synthetic types of insulation might be considered a vapor barrier but not Climashield...not even a little bit. It works great for a TQ and will not hold moisture even as much as most down will.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Always learnin from ya Mr Gibson. Thanks for the clarification

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Always learnin from ya Mr Gibson. Thanks for the clarification
    hat_tip.gif
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    You could always get just a nice UQ and use your existing sleeping bag as a TQ for a while as you save up some more $$. When I was still a ground dweller I rocked synthetic and a ILBE pack my pack, sleeping system weight was about 23lb. I had just bought a mountain hardwear phantom 32 sleeping bag right before I got into hammocks. That was over three years ago and I still us it as my TQ, anyway I liked it so much I decided on a down UQ, just one problem they cost a lot. So that was my first ever DIY hammock project, I hadn't sewn sense high school. The thread lines were horred but it functions just fine cost about 90$ and I still use it. After that I had to get a backpack that was less then ten pounds :-) now my pack sleeping system weight is 11lb My suggestion is go down.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    It really depends on how much you want to spend. Set a budget and stick to it.

Personally I like a full length quilt.

If you have a sewing machine you can make a decent top quilt and under quilt for about $120 of materials.

You could also save a bunch by using your sleeping bag as a TQ, and buy an underquilt. Very few people regret their Jarbidge purchase. I doubt you would either.

Every day is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    The Jarbidge is the best bang for your buck out there. It was to be my first UQ until I fell into a smokin deal on a HG Incubator. My teenage son has one and loves it, and it got me through The Frozen But Hang this Jan as a supplement to the Incubator. The Jarbidge's only down side is it's compressed size, and it's not much of a downside. There's really no reason to look at anything else.

If you're SLOWLY working on upgrades, save the money now for other gear and get down in a few years. The Jarbidge could always get "passed down" to one of the kids if you upgrade to down in the future.

You could also get a CCF pad to use with your bag and delay big expense and decision for a bit

Can't help you much on the TQ, I only have a 20* down. My understanding is synthetics are vapor barriers, to a degree, and down is a better option in TQ's. But I could be wrong on that. For my money though, I'd go with down up top.

Good advice. I slept on it and agree that Arrowhead will be the best deal. I can save the 200 and start looking at new packs and get the big three below 10lbs and be done! ( hopefully)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes...use your sleeping bag as a TQ.
    You could use a pad too but a UQ is way more comfortable.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast