Sharing a Hammock with a child: my experience + some questions

Hi,
    I've been camping and bikepacking with a hammock for over a year now, and prefer that whenever I can find an anchor points. I decided to try and have a bikepacking trip with my 4 yr old daughter, and sleeping in a hammock - lighter than a tent, safer than sleeping on the ground with just mosquito net around us (a few weeks ago a friend woke up and found a 4ft VIPER *under* his sleeping pad! I was safe in my hammock, the following weekend I had to answer so many questions about hammocks. one poisonous snake can do a lot for ones perspective...).

Long story short: we went for our Bikepacking adventurer, the night went o.k. but it wasn't perfect, she spent most of the night cuddling with me... the bonding itself worth a lot! but maybe there is a better way for sharing a hammock? My main problem: nature called, but i couldn't answer... had to hold it because I couldn't think of a way I'm getting out and then back in without waking her up. was hoping that she would wake up at some point during the night, but she didn't.

We used Grand-trunk Skeeter-beeter (I have a few more hammocks, but went with this one, dew to the fully closed netting), with a half-size MYOG UQ, and a thin closed cell sleeping pad. the temps where ~70, so a sleeping bag as a TQ for both of us was all we needed.

Next weekend - another night out, this time I'll try with no sleeping pad. maybe a wider hammock would be better for two? and when a child is old enough for his own hammock?
    Thanks!

IMG_20160616_193518.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    My two year old loves to hike with me, but I have not taken him on an overnight in a hammock. Test naps have proven unsuccessful, as well as, sharing a bag in the tent. He is a squirmer, plus I've had that same concern you experienced -- having to disturb his sleep to answer the call of nature. Once I've decided on my next hammock, I'm passing mine down to him, and I plan on stacking our hammocks with me underneath.

I've read blogs of people letting their two and three year olds in their own hammock. If they sleep in their own bed at home, they should be fine in their own hammock, I assume.

Hammock
    Dutch wide 11'
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like a great trip! Well, mostly. I'm not brave enough to put a child in my hammock, they are too hot and wiggly. I've always put mine in a separate hammock, but close enough to reach out and touch them. How old do they have to be? Depends on the child. My oldest was good by 4. My second isn't good yet and she's now 6.

If you aren't comfortable with a separate hammock, you could look to the SCUBA world for answers. I default to this as its been a big part of my life for the last decade and a half. Divers have been looking for solutions to relief without contamination for as long as there have been drysuits. The simplest option is a big diaper. Sounds silly but it's a solution. There are other options which involve tubes and valves, think "jettison the liquid overboard", the specifics of those options vary for men and women.

Good luck! Have fun with your daughter!

Thanks! I think that I'll try stacking our hammocks, the full netting is a good way to make sure she stays inside

• + New Posts