DIY bridge or BB Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Polysil gen 2
    Insulation
    CS UQ/ 20* bag TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

The Grizz Bridge Ariel

I'm sure there are many DIY'ers out there making the Ariel hammock. I just finished my second one after watching the "Engineering of the Grizz Bridge Ariel" and the "Trickin Out the Ariel" videos over and over again. A few thing I did a little differently were: Extending the 7 in edging pieces 6 inches past the body piece so there was 2 inches of scrap on each end. I also excluded the 1 1/2 inch edge taper from the foot end of the body. The suspension triangles are 32 inches. I made the end caps in the shape of a trapezoid. The bottom of the head and foot ends are 10" and 14" respectively. The top edges are both 27 1/2" These measurements are without 1/2 seam allowance which was added. For the edging I made the button holes 2" long centered 68" apart. Grizz, I estimated this width from your thumbs (not implying you have fat thumbs). After sewing on the edging I found I should have move the button holes 1 inch further apart probably due to inadvertently stretching the body as I pinned on the edging or other operator error. On my 1st Ariel I sewed the edging on to within 3 or 4 inches of where I though the button holes should go and then I marked their position before adding them. By the way, ironing the edge fabric and adding the bias tape worked so much better than when I sewed my first Ariel. I love this hammock. It is so comfortable.

Grizz, Thanks for your excellent instructional videos. I enjoy watching them and making and using bridge hammocks.

Here are a few pictures of the completed body.

IMG_3108.jpgIMG_3106.jpg

I then took a stab at added the detachable bug net. For this I most have watched the "Trickin out the Ariel" video 20 times. I started with 2 yards of left over 54" netting and attaching it to the ridge line and hammock body with binder clips to get rough measurements. I used left over Argon 90 for the edging. I cut this 9 inches wide and folded like this. The center valley is 1/2" deep. IMG_3124.jpg.

Found the magnets at Hobby Lobby and used their 40% off coupons. Grizz you'll have to share your secret for sewing the magnet pockets and sewing the pockets to the bug net edging. It was a real pain with them sticking to the sewing machine presser foot, base plate and each other. I think my netting is longer than shown in the video. It comes down past my knees. I was lazy and did not finish the bug net edge past the last side magnet.

I'm still deciding on the suspension. I've attached Spyder line loops to the suspension triangles and will probably use mule tape from there to a my 1inch tree straps.

Here is the finished product. Sorry for all of the sideway pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    great job! Thanks for posting.
    One trick for dealing with the magnets when sewing is to slip a strap of vinyl (I cut out a piece of a stiff vinyl divider from a notebook)
    and put it under the magnet but not under the needle! That significantly lessens the attraction between magnet and base.

I've got an order in for kevlar mule tape and will do pretty much exactly what you describe. Be on the lookahead for the spyderline loop fraying the muletape though with repeated use, at least I will.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Just wanted to tell you that is one fine looking bridge Mr. Overland! Well done!
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    DIY bridge or BB Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Polysil gen 2
    Insulation
    CS UQ/ 20* bag TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thank you both for your comments

Images
    Wow! Great job.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty Stretchside
    Tarp
    OES Standard, DIY
    Insulation
    Synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Overland View Post
    I'm sure there are many DIY'ers out there making the Ariel hammock. I just finished my second one after watching the "Engineering of the Grizz Bridge Ariel" and the "Trickin Out the Ariel" videos over and over again. A few thing I did a little differently were: Extending the 7 in edging pieces 6 inches past the body piece so there was 2 inches of scrap on each end. I also excluded the 1 1/2 inch edge taper from the foot end of the body. The suspension triangles are 32 inches. I made the end caps in the shape of a trapezoid. The bottom of the head and foot ends are 10" and 14" respectively. The top edges are both 27 1/2" These measurements are without 1/2 seam allowance which was added. For the edging I made the button holes 2" long centered 68" apart. Grizz, I estimated this width from your thumbs (not implying you have fat thumbs). After sewing on the edging I found I should have move the button holes 1 inch further apart probably due to inadvertently stretching the body as I pinned on the edging or other operator error. On my 1st Ariel I sewed the edging on to within 3 or 4 inches of where I though the button holes should go and then I marked their position before adding them. By the way, ironing the edge fabric and adding the bias tape worked so much better than when I sewed my first Ariel. I love this hammock. It is so comfortable.

Grizz, Thanks for your excellent instructional videos. I enjoy watching them and making and using bridge hammocks.

Here are a few pictures of the completed body.

IMG_3108.jpgIMG_3106.jpg

I then took a stab at added the detachable bug net. For this I most have watched the "Trickin out the Ariel" video 20 times. I started with 2 yards of left over 54" netting and attaching it to the ridge line and hammock body with binder clips to get rough measurements. I used left over Argon 90 for the edging. I cut this 9 inches wide and folded like this. The center valley is 1/2" deep. IMG_3124.jpg.

Found the magnets at Hobby Lobby and used their 40% off coupons. Grizz you'll have to share your secret for sewing the magnet pockets and sewing the pockets to the bug net edging. It was a real pain with them sticking to the sewing machine presser foot, base plate and each other. I think my netting is longer than shown in the video. It comes down past my knees. I was lazy and did not finish the bug net edge past the last side magnet.

I'm still deciding on the suspension. I've attached Spyder line loops to the suspension triangles and will probably use mule tape from there to a my 1inch tree straps.

Here is the finished product. Sorry for all of the sideway pictures.
    What trekking poles are you using? How are they adapted to fit into the and feel loops?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY bridge or BB Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Polysil gen 2
    Insulation
    CS UQ/ 20* bag TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    This is the tracking pole.
    http://mountainsmith.com/products/tr...x-monopod.html

I ordered a set of Warbonnet Outdoors pole tips for both ends.
    I also inserted wood dowels into the trekking poles for additional support.

• + New Posts