Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTekk View Post
    Is there any advice you guys can give me regarding my back problems? I have four degenerated discs in the lumbar region of my spine and weigh around 340 pounds. I'm also 6ft 1. I have all but decided to get a Circle Beard from the Bearded Hammock at 11ft, but I'm wondering if there are any special considerations I need to make, such as double layer as opposed to a 2.2oz single layer. I don't have all that much money to spend, but I think I can scrounge up around $200 for hammock and bugnet by September or October. As far as an underquilt goes, I'll be modifying a GI poncho liner for a half-to-three-quarter length underquilt. In regard to the suggestion to make my own gathered-end hammock, unfortunately I don't own a sewing machine and that's probably for the best. With my luck, I'd end up sewing my hands together(and send you the medical bills).
    I truly don't mean this at all to be offensive, but one solution to help your back is to lose weight.

I know that sounds kind of like I'm just being a jerk, but I really just want to help you out. Your back carries a significant amount of your weight, the lower back especially. There's constant strain on it when laying, or standing. Starting a very light exercise program and a simple diet can be harder than it sounds, but it really can help. Every 10 lbs you lose is 10 less lbs of stress on your spine.

My job puts a lot of stress on my back, so I know how you feel some times. Back problems aren't easy to figure out sometimes.

Also try and see a surgeon if you haven't already, there are procedures that can be done.

As for hammocks, you'd have to try a few and see what you like.

Funny thing is, hammock camping and losing weight can go hand in hand. If you take a few days trip, that includes a hike, you can get exercise, and since you have to plan your meals, you can pack food to suit a lighter diet. It's not inconceivable that you could lose 10lbs in just a week if you included a few nights camping, and a few days of eating well.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Howdy,
    I spent a few weeks in Montgomery about 3 years ago. The commute up/back took me around/through Dothan but I don't think that was more than a stop for gas. Lucky for you, there's IT folks everywhere. I'm going to school now trying to get my certs for DoD8570. I'm hoping that plus my former military experience will land me a better job. Unless you're absolutely tied to an area then maybe hit the road.

As for hammocks, they're just like everything else. Good, fast, cheap (pick 2). You can make yourself a single layer tablecloth hammock for under $20 if you're a scrounger. If you're a bit handy then you can put together a simple double-layer setup with no sewing for about double that. I know you're itching to get into the woods but the summer in the south is pretty miserable, even for us hangers. Save your pennies for a few months and do plenty of reading the forums and watching Shug's videos. I'd bet there's a group of hangers in your area doing a group hang in early fall. That would be your best chance to see and try out some various options before plunking down your hard-earned cash. It's even likely you can find someone with some loaner gear to try.

I keep hearing rumors of Dutch coming out with some new design but for now I've been looking hard at one of his "half-wit" hammocks. He makes them in fabric to handle your size and the bugnet is integrated. It might be worth a look http://www.dutchwaregear.com/half-wit-hammock.html

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Got some good news! As luck would have it, I now have the money for a new hammock. After a couple phone conversations with BeardedHanger, I'm going to get the Circle Beard just as soon as I receive the 2.2oz Hex70XL color samples. Still on the fence about the knotty mod, but I'll be getting the straps and buckles and a beard net with it.
    When pixie dust fails, LowTekk will get you home.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums from Marietta, GA. Enjoy your Circle Beard and Happy hanging!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome from SC. I was once one of those who couldn't sleep in the woods because tent camping destroyed my back. I've now seen the light.
    "All alone in the night, I had my own thoughts..." ~Kerouac, On the Road

"Help me mamma, for I have grinned..."

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome guys. I can't wait to get elevated! All I'm waiting for are the color samples from BeardedHanger, and the Circle Beard shall be MINE! Heck, I've even got a hanging spot staked out in my back yard! Yup, even in the July heat, I'll be sawin' a log after eatin' an evening meal fresh off the grill.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to more! Actually getting a good hammock, or the thought of meeting some of you at the Little Chattahoochee hang I've got planned for October! If you're interested, it's in the outings subsection under 'Testing the waters for a southeast Alabama hang'.

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Just pulled the trigger on the Circle Beard! 11ft, 2.2oz Hex70 XL, cinch buckles and 10ft tree straps, head-left knotty mod, fixed ridgeline with organizer, custom stuff sack, and the Beard Net. If anyone's in the market for an entry-level custom 11 footer, better head over to beardedhanger.com while the 'HAPPY4th' coupon code is available, you'll get 17.76% off. If ya get the same setup I've got, it'll cost $141.23

Hammock
    Beard 5 O'clock shadow XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy
    Insulation
    Working on this...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Congrats LowTekk. I ordered my 5 O'Clock Shadow from Beard last week. Just need it to get here. Let me know how yours works out.

Happy Hanging!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dshoemaker View Post
    Congrats LowTekk. I ordered my 5 O'Clock Shadow from Beard last week. Just need it to get here. Let me know how yours works out.

Happy Hanging!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's always the worst part about ordering something you really want/need. I'm 36 years old, but I'm still bouncing off the walls because five hours after I ordered the Circle Beard, the temperature dropped below 80 degrees and I had a steady breeze! Man oh man, if I had that hammock, I'd be sawin' a log in my back yard right now. Believe me buddy, I'll be hanging as soon as the Circle Beard gets here--and when I finally wake up again, I'll be right here writing up a review! By the way, let me know about the 5 'O Clock Shadow too! My best friend may end up wanting a hammock, and that one sounds like a perfect fit.

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Looks like a Charlie Foxtrot over at Bearded Hanger. Anything that could've gone wrong apparently has, and it's dang near made every day a Tuesday. For the moment, they're backed up on a bunch of orders including my own, but they're trying to catch up again. Here's to hoping the Tuesdays have come to an end... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast