Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buying a new hammock

I am about to buy my first backpacking hammock. I know I want a double layer 11' hammock. I am looking at Dutch netless, SLD Tree Runner, and a SLD Trail Lair. I am having a hard time deciding what would be best. Here is a post about my first hammock backcountry trip: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...he-backcountry

I am leaning towards a netless. I currently usually sleep on the ground with no bugnet. I figure if I need a bugnet, I can get a Fronkey type.

What is making me pause is that SLD has a Trail Lair 1.3 DL in the Gear up and Go section for $160 with suspension. It has the retractable bugnet.

The netless from Dutch and SLD are about the same at $120-130. Is the Trail Lair worth the extra $30? If not, then the decision becomes Dutch or SLD?

I am 5'9" 185lb, with broad shoulders. Weight is not a huge concern as I am not a gram counter.

Color me confused.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think netted/netless really depends a lot on your relationship with flying and biting insects. For me, I'd pay well over $30 for some resistance to mosquitoes.

Hammock
    WBBB, SLD TL
    Tarp
    HG, WB, SLD
    Insulation
    Leighlo, HG
    Suspension
    dutch, slitline
    Yes, it's worth the extra $30. Now, is it worth the weight?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    I think you're actually a bit ahead of the game as far as your narrowed down choices go, and I think you'll be happy with any of these choices. I was in the same position about three months ago, and the options and choices had my head spinning a bit. I opted for a 11 ft Netless by Dutch in the 1.6 Hexon and added a separate bottom entry bug net by SLD. I'm very happy with my decisions, and the quality from both vendors is exceptional. You'll probably receive a lot recommendations based on preference much like choosing a Ford or Chevy truck. It seems to come down to your preference of an integrated bug net vs. a separate one. Good luck!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    You can't go wrong with any of the hammocks you've selected; I think you just need to decide on your priorities and preferences.

I own the SLD Trail Lair, and I love it. It's a beautiful, durable, feature-filled hammock with attention paid to every detail. I got a DL 1.9/1.1. I ordered the retractable bug net (i.e., a dual-slider zipper all the way around), which really doesn't add much weight and stows neatly into its own head-end peak bag if you want to go topless, so I feel it represents the best of both worlds.

If you decide to go netless for now, I would say it's a toss up between the intellegently designed cat-cut SLD Tree Runner DL and the extremely popular Dutch Netless. The Dutch hammock fearures a dual Knotty Mod to dial it in an manage excess side fabric; the SLD is contoured so you don't have to -- your choice! I would gladly own either one. It may come down to fabric selection or some other small detail that tips you one way or the other.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    You could always add a Fronkey bug net, or a Hug Bug net from Arrowhead Equipment to your Dutch hammock.

I think I have decided to go netless double layer and I am leaning towards sld.

I now need to decide the weight (and width) of fabric. I am 5'9" 185 lbs. I want some extra weight capacity for my kids jumping in with me and my 75 lbs German Shepherd Dog jumping in with me.

SLD says the 1.1 comes in 64-68" wide, 1.3oz comes in at 60", and 1.6 and 1.9oz are 60" wide (all before hemming).

Any advice?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I am in your same weight category and somewhat taller, and I find that my 11-foot 60" Trail Lair lets me get plenty diagonal for a flat, comfortable lay.

One of the nice things about having Jared make you a Tree Runner DL from scratch is that he can construct it with different weights of fabric for the inner and outer layers. I was looking for durability and abrasion resistance while still having a relatively light weight, so my hammock is built with 1.9 outside and 1.1 inside.

If you order a Tree Runner DL with a light 1.1 inner layer and either 1.3 or 1.6 outside, you should have a hammock that safely holds around 300 pounds (educated guess -- check with Jared) and should probably come in at around 20 ounces or less in weight, which is not too shabby for a hammock that's got to hold its occupant plus a big dog, IMHO..

(FWIW, in theory you could go for a Tree Runner SL with a single layer of 1.9 and get your hammock weight down around 1 lb, but your total load capacity would be redlining in the 250- to 275-pound range with you, your dog, and any gear stowed inside the hammock with you, so I'd advise against it. Those extra 4 ounces of fabric are security, safety, and peace of mind that would be worth it to me if I were in your position, even at a little added cost...)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 06-17-2016 at 19:57.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Suspension
    My own
    Quote Originally Posted by punkisdead View Post
    You could always add a Fronkey bug net, or a Hug Bug net from Arrowhead Equipment to your Dutch hammock.
    Fronkey all the way!!

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have the Trail Lair and it is an excellent hammock. Worth buying!
    I keep learning and will never know enough.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast