Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Well, it's not like you're only going to buy one hammock, pick one and see. My 1st hammock had a net, but I'd moved from tent to tarp previously and in the time/place I camp, bugs aren't a factor. I do have a full bug net that I've never used and generally don't carry and I now have 5 hammocks.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey von View Post
    I think I have decided to go netless double layer and I am leaning towards sld.

I now need to decide the weight (and width) of fabric. I am 5'9" 185 lbs. I want some extra weight capacity for my kids jumping in with me and my 75 lbs German Shepherd Dog jumping in with me.

SLD says the 1.1 comes in 64-68" wide, 1.3oz comes in at 60", and 1.6 and 1.9oz are 60" wide (all before hemming).

Any advice?

Since you're going netless you owe it to yourself to try one of these http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/133
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/230

Why a DL? At your weight there are plenty of materials to comfortably support you with a single layer. Argon 1.6 is a good one I've been very happy with at 210#, it's rated for under 275#.

At 5' 9" an 11'x60" will be fine for you, that's what mine are and we're close in size. Before all the wide fabrics came out we managed just fine at 60" width.

SLD and Dutch both go out of their way to make you a GREAT piece of gear. I order from those two almost exclusively. I don't have a SLD hammock but, if I didn't have a 11 footer from Dutch, I would. I went netless. I have had it for a little over a week and have slept in it three times now. I LOVE it. Heagon D is awesome.

If you are hanging in the summer, you get a bug net.

Either choice for your hammock will serve you well. And, know that width of the hammock isn't nearly as important as length for getting that perfect lay. I have hammocks as wide as 72 inches. It can and does operate on the "give and take" scale but, if you have the length, you can get diagonal easily. I much prefer a 58 to 60 inch wide, 11 foot hammock. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Since you're going netless you owe it to yourself to try one of these http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/133
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/230

Why a DL? At your weight there are plenty of materials to comfortably support you with a single layer. Argon 1.6 is a good one I've been very happy with at 210#, it's rated for under 275#.

At 5' 9" an 11'x60" will be fine for you, that's what mine are and we're close in size. Before all the wide fabrics came out we managed just fine at 60" width.
    Thanks for throwing a wrench into the things with the streamliner. I have been talking with Jared (probably buggin him) about a 11' Treerunner DL with 1.3 black on the outside and 1.1 blue on the inside. No ties-outs, pad opening, no knotty mods, permanent continuous loops, and I am still unsure about suspension. That Streamliner looks nice though. So I sent him another email about that just a few ago.

DL because I will be using my pad, at least to start. We have camped in a few places without trees, so having my pad gives me options. I will eventually check out an UQ.

I am going to stick with the Tree Runner.

Here is what I think I will be ordering:

11' Treerunner DL with 1.3 black on the outside and 1.1 blue on the inside. No ties-outs, pad opening, no knotty mods, permanent continuous loops.

I am unsure of the permanent continuous loops. I know what they are I just don't know if I want them?

I am also unsure of suspension. I think I want a whoopie sling, but unsure about whoopie hooks? This is a backpacking rig. Cinch buckles seem easy and adaptable to many different hanging options. Opinions wanted!

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Thanks for throwing a wrench into the things with the streamliner. I have been talking with Jared (probably buggin him) about a 11' Treerunner DL with 1.3 black on the outside and 1.1 blue on the inside. No ties-outs, pad opening, no knotty mods, permanent continuous loops, and I am still unsure about suspension. That Streamliner looks nice though. So I sent him another email about that just a few ago.

DL because I will be using my pad, at least to start. We have camped in a few places without trees, so having my pad gives me options. I will eventually check out an UQ.
    I am going to stick with the Tree Runner.

Here is what I think I will be ordering:

11' Treerunner DL with 1.3 black on the outside and 1.1 blue on the inside. No ties-outs, pad opening, no knotty mods, permanent continuous loops.

I am unsure of the permanent continuous loops. I know what they are I just don't know if I want them?

I am also unsure of suspension. I think I want a whoopie sling, but unsure about whoopie hooks? This is a backpacking rig. Cinch buckles seem easy and adaptable to many different hanging options. Opinions wanted!
    Didn't intend to throw a wrench in the works, the Streamliner really is a great hammock. Never had a complaint from anyone I put in one of mine, the unobstructed view out is what hooks em! No "wall of fabric" getting in the way.

I found no benefit to a DL when I used a pad, if anything it made it more difficult to adjust the placement of the pad.......at least for me, in my limited experience with a pad. If you plan on an UQ soonish, I'd go single layer in an appropriate fabric.

With a traditional gathered end I'd definitely go with knotty mods, there really isn't a downside to them. All pluses in my book, and I'm not buying any weight penalty argument.

I would go whoopies through the end channels and be done. No need to overcomplicate things

Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post

With a traditional gathered end I'd definitely go with knotty mods, there really isn't a downside to them. All pluses in my book, and I'm not buying any weight penalty argument.

I would go whoopies through the end channels and be done. No need to overcomplicate things
    After speaking with Jared, I am forgoing the knotty ends. If I feel I need them I will add myself.

Whoopies through the end channels? On SLD's site, that would be just adding the 6' whoopie slings for $12 (no whoopie hooks?)

You don't need whoopie hooks if you just use the whoopie slings through the end channels by larks heading them after passing the loop through the channels. However, if you get the continuous loops sewed in or spliced in, you are going to be obligated to go the whoopie hook route if you want whoopie sling suspension.

Personally, I'd go no permanent continuous loops through the ends if you want whoopie suspension. If you change your mind later, you can always larks head them through the channel like you did your whoopie slings. I like whoopies. Use them exclusively on some of my hammocks. However, they are tough on shorter hanging gaps. Which is why I'd eliminate the loops. It just increases the hanging gap needed between trees. Making short gaps tough due to lack of being able to draw the hammock up tight enough. They are great on longer distances but, when you are short, it makes it tough to get your suspension high enough after about 15 feet. So keep that in your mind. Personally, if you are shorter, the continuous loops and a biner, along with the eno atlas straps work well. Cinch buckles do too.

Not tryng to tell you what you buy. Just trying to give you some things to consider. God Bless
    Last edited by WV Mountaineer; 06-19-2016 at 19:54. Reason: I spell like a 3rd grader

I ordered up my hammock from sld. Jared finished it last night and sent it on its way this morning. I will give it a trial run when I get it. My next backcountry adventure will be early next week when I am taking my boys and 3 of my sisters kids. This will be her kids 1st backcountry trip (city kids).

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I ordered up my hammock from sld. Jared finished it last night and sent it on its way this morning. I will give it a trial run when I get it. My next backcountry adventure will be early next week when I am taking my boys and 3 of my sisters kids. This will be her kids 1st backcountry trip (city kids).
    Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing your report.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast