Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Hammock
    They're all good!
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow 0*
    Mother nature has not cooperated this summer! I'm still hopeful we can make this happen. There's still time to change venues if we need to? I like most of the others, am open to any alternate sites, as long as we don't change to date. I'm watching the thread for changes/updates. A big thanks to all those who have done their research. Planning is a big part of these events and I apreciate the time they've invested.
    "Getting lost is not a waste of time"-Jack Johnson

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG WB
    Images
    I wish I could go, but the last weekend of Aug. I have a family trip planned. I have to miss yet another hang

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swung View Post
    Mother nature has not cooperated this summer! I'm still hopeful we can make this happen. There's still time to change venues if we need to? I like most of the others, am open to any alternate sites, as long as we don't change to date. I'm watching the thread for changes/updates. A big thanks to all those who have done their research. Planning is a big part of these events and I apreciate the time they've invested.
    Oh, it's gonna happen!! One way or another..... No need to worry, the date won't change.

Where is the shelter we discussed at Da Shack in relation to where we had been planning to go?? Maybe that's still an option, on the NCT??

Quote Originally Posted by BeechGirl View Post
    I wish I could go, but the last weekend of Aug. I have a family trip planned. I have to miss yet another hang
    I guess we'll have to plan a Newport SP hang around your schedule then??...........or, you could post up some dates for it that work for you......

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Honestly the safe bet would be to do the BRSF and save this trip for either later in the fall or next season. I just can't get a clear answer on what the list of priorities are for the USFS in terms of roads/recreation areas. As far as some are willing to drive to get up here I'd rather things be more stable so everyone's assured the best time possible.
    That's what I was thinking, best bang for the buck so to speak. Too many variables right now........

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Just point me in the direction of the hang.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I'm workin on it......go North, my friend!! Since the NCT appears to be out, I'm looking into BRSF further and will post a new thread in a day or two.....honest, I really will this time!!

Thinking about heading out from the Smrekar Lot, as shown on this map http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/StateForests...BRSFTrails.pdf
    Water available at the trail head, should help a little. Maybe do evening meals at the shelter, then everyone can head out to their hang spot after that??

If anyone has "boots on the ground" knowledge of the area, I'd love to hear about it.
    Last edited by goobie; 07-26-2016 at 21:33.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Goobie:

Last fall I was with a meetup.com group and we camped at the Outdoor Group Camp site at Black River State Forest. We drove down to the Smrekar Lot and did an 8 mile hike and headed back to camp.

Here's a link to my facebook photo album from that weekend. The pictures of the hike might help give a better sense of the area.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=829d4810c4
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    The small group that's being most actively involved has suggested base camping, an idea I thought would be a great option as well. Not much interest from other WI members, no idea why??

Thank you very much for all your help, I really appreciate it!
    I like the base camp idea, I love getting out and hiking but not sure if I could do 10+ miles. I probably can but I'm a slow hiker and love just putzing along to enjoy nature. But if I'm hooked up to Doc he can pull me along lol

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Thumbs up

Great pics K with a K!! Will see if I can dig up some of mine. Spent a week in BRSF near the Pigeon Creek campground back in March of 2012. Basecamped with a group of guys from another forum the first weekend (most of us hammocked), then backpacked a figure 8 around the Smrekar Rd/N Settlement Rd intersection. While most of the areas I saw had a lot of undergrowth, there were some where we could get at least a dozen hammocks up in. Will scratch my noggin and search my photos until I come up with some options for us to consider.

Worst case is that almost all of the sites in Pigeon Creek campground are hangable. I say worst case since it is $18/person/night to hang there, versus FREE for EVERYONE if we get a permit and camp in the woods. (Can still go to the campground for toilets and water if people want to by the way.) Easy enough to shuttle people, so the walk from the vehicle to your hammock can be anywhere from a couple hundred yards to as many miles as you care to hike!

In the areas I visited, there were tons of porcupines, deer... and ticks!! Ruffed grouse, beaver and many other species were present. Wide variety of trees, with white pines, maple and oak being the most numerous in most of those areas. Fairly numerous paper birch, red pines, etc as well.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    I'm OK with this location.
    While $18.00 per night seems excessive given our limited impact, I can live with the cost. After all, without the DNR, all neat recreational lands and waters would be privately owned, and not by middle class folks like us. Let's not sell our heritage "down the river".

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast