Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Depends on what kind of mileage people are comfortable with during the day and aye what time we get started on Friday. There is always the option of ending the hike at my house (I have a trail that leads down to where the NCT crosses a forest road near the Cty A trailhead so no road walk) and I could easily shuttle everyone back to the trailhead they parked at. Would make multiple start points easy if that came up for those getting in early/late. It can make for a longer last day though if camping in the middle of the Rainbow Wilderness. The best camp site is Bufo Lake which is eleven miles from my place. There is camping on Tower or Rainbow Lakes (not the best especially for a group but you could spread out in the bush). Well now that I think about it, probably would be better for me just to park my truck at the north boundary of the Rainbow Wilderness and cut off that last seven miles to my house. That would be 19 miles to get from Porcupine Lake to Bufo Lake on Saturday which is a bit much. I don't know I'd like to somehow include both wilderness areas so everyone could experience them, amazing spots, but it will greatly depend on mileage desired and start time as I mentioned. May not be feasible. I'm roughly a 10 to 14 mile a day backpacker depending on terrain. I can go as high as 20 but I generally don't push that far anymore as recovery time is getting longer Anyway this will take some discussion. If only one wilderness was achievable I would highly suggest the Porcupine Wilderness, its the more magical of the two. It would also have the advantage of being an easy start point for everyone to gather. It is a short 1/2 mile walk in to the campsite on Porcupine Lake, which the first large campsite everyone is gathering at on Shug's 1st video (thanks Shug). It is the most spectacular campsite on the Chequamegon section. It is huge, open and provides a spectacular view of the lake below. A gem of a spot. Only downside is it's quite popular with the locals and can get overrun through the summer on the weekends, sometimes as a bit of a party spot. Though at least by the last weekend in August most "party folk" will be back in school. Anyway then plan a route to the east of there. I can plant my truck at our takeout and shuttle back. I have a F150 with a topper so I can pack numerous hikers in there. Unless we get a horde I can most likely get everyone back.

Just off the top of my head random thoughts. Please discuss.
    Last edited by alifeoutdoors; 07-01-2016 at 07:17.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Oh and here's a link to our chapters pocket map. Not the greatest but at least has mileage.

NCT Chequamegon Pocket Map
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    A big thank you, gentlemen, for all the info.

Alifeoutdoors, I would think around 10 miles, give or take, depending on the variables you mentioned would be doable by the relatively small group we have interested.

Perhaps with a little creative vehicle placement we could get to see both wilderness areas? Might not be doable with the back and forth drive time though.

Have to see what the group has in mind.........I'm off to watch some videos

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Well I hate to break the immersion on a hike but if it worked out that way I wouldn't complain too much.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    you won't hear me complaining either

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Well I hate to break the immersion on a hike but if it worked out that way I wouldn't complain too much.
    I might be able to make it up there late Thursday night. So, I would be available for an early Friday morning shuttle.

Isn't there also a nice little campsite on the shore of Esox Lake?

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin'Yankee View Post
    Isn't there also a nice little campsite on the shore of Esox Lake?
    Not that I'm aware of though it is in the works. I haven't been down to check out the site they selected. We're working on adding seven new campsites to the Chequamegon section as soon as the NFS gives us approval. However I may have overlooked something, I'm generally breezing through that section. There is an informal campsite where the trail crosses the Long Lake Branch creek and one is also being proposed on Cisco Lake.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    When I was there a few years back there was an un-official site. There was a firepit and it was very obvious that people had camped there. It was a nice little spot on the lake with a nice pine forest up above the trail.

I forgot that you guys are adding some "official" sites up there.

Thanks,

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    All sounds like fun, I'm game, can't wait

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    Hammockgear cuban
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I would be up for this but I will be finishing a week long hike on the NCT in the U.P. that weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast