DIY Netless (11'2'')
    Tarp
    Winter12 silpoly
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/Biner

ENO JungleLink?

Found the ENO JungleLink for $150 shipped. ENO JungleNest, ENO Atlas Straps, and the ENO ProFly. For a first hammock set up is this a good choice? The price is definitely right for all 3 parts...

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    For what it's worth...I would get a Dutch single with cinch buckles and a Fronkey bug net. That will run you around $120. Then look on Woot or Amazon for a deal on a Yukon or Noah's tarp. You can often get a Yukon for around $30 or a Noah's for $50 or less.

The Dutch is longer and likely much more comfortable plus you'll have a choice of materials and colors. The cinch buckles are easy to use. The Fronkey bug net gives great coverage and really keeps the skeeters out.

As for tarps, the Yukon is not exactly huge and if you get a Noah's 12 it is huge but not super light.

All told, I feel that would be a far superior choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you're not a hiker, go for it. ENO gear is beginner gear, and usually about as heavy as can be found on the market. The ProFly tarp is 22 ounces, but only 6 ft. 4 inches wide, so it's strictly a fair-weather tarp. If you're in Syracuse, you better think about some insulation. Tarp and insulation are the most important part of any hammock kit.

I'd pass on that Yukon tarp - while cheap, it is even less robust than the ProFly, and even more of a fair-weather tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    If you're not a hiker, go for it. ENO gear is beginner gear, and usually about as heavy as can be found on the market. The ProFly tarp is 22 ounces, but only 6 ft. 4 inches wide, so it's strictly a fair-weather tarp. If you're in Syracuse, you better think about some insulation. Tarp and insulation are the most important part of any hammock kit.

I'd pass on that Yukon tarp - while cheap, it is even less robust than the ProFly, and even more of a fair-weather tarp.
    Yeah the Yukon is not great but I was trying to keep him around the same budget. I've used one successfully on a number of occasions but if it indeed looks like foul weather, I break out the full coverage gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Netless (11'2'')
    Tarp
    Winter12 silpoly
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

I am up in 'Cuse. Definitely planning on an UQ/OQ before fall, but for now I've determined a sleeping bag is good enough for summer. I will be hiking in all my gear but currently my tent, pad, and bag weighs in at around 9 pounds, with 4.5 of it dedicated to the tent alone.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have that exact setup as my first and have no real complaints. Definitely get rid of the straps and rope loops on the hammock, switch to Whoopie slings it'll lighten things up a bit . I use mine upside down when bug net isn't needed. I'm 6'1 and 230# and have had some super nice naps in mine, it will take awhile to find your sweet spot. Good luck and enjoy!

• + New Posts