Length of a DD Frontline Hammock - what's comfortable?

I've been searching for a while and just couldn't find the answer to my specific question. Please forgive me if it's there and I missed it.

The DD Hammocks website list the Frontline model as being "2.7m x 1.4m (comfortable for people up to 6ft 5in and 125kg)". That's 106" or just under 9 feet long. All the threads I've read suggest that someone of my size (6') should be in a 10' or 11' hammock. Where do they get their info that someone 6'5" will be comfortable in a sub 9' hammock and how accurate is it really?

I'm mostly interested in it due to the price and having a distributor here in Canada.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DD Hammocks Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    DD UQ, WL XXL TQ
    Suspension
    L&L Cinch Buckle
    I have a Frontline. The thing is everything about hammocks are so subjective. I'm short and love my DD. My son who is taller than me at 5'9" doesn't like it; he prefers a longer hammock. I loaned it to a buddy who is 6'1" and he was very happy with it; but, he ended up buying a different and longer hammock anyway.

Thanks for the info superslow. I guess I'll have to study the hammock spreadsheet for something longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    I'm 5'10" and my only hammock-night so far was a DD Frontline. I felt it was long enough for me, but a longer hammock would be able to provide a much better lay and more room. To fit in decently, especially with the pad, I had to lay nearly along the ridgeline instead of diagonal...

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    My Yukon outfitters mosquito hammock is just shy of 9ft and I am 6ft. It was comfortable enough, better than sleeping on the ground. Spent some restful nights outdoors in it.
    My diy hammock is almost 10 1/2 ft and it is much more comfortable though. A shorter hammock will work, some folks love them, but a longer one is going to be better.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The rules for hammocks change with the length. In order to be able to lie diagonally and fairly straight, you need a longer hammock. For most people, 11' works best. Shorter hammocks need to be hung much shallower, because you need to lie almost inline. They're often a lot more narrow, because you can't use the width. Due to the position, shoulder squeeze can be an issue. Both styles have their fans, but most people prefer to lie more diagonal and therefore use longer hammocks.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The rules for hammocks change with the length. In order to be able to lie diagonally and fairly straight, you need a longer hammock. For most people, 11' works best. Shorter hammocks need to be hung much shallower, because you need to lie almost inline. They're often a lot more narrow, because you can't use the width. Due to the position, shoulder squeeze can be an issue. Both styles have their fans, but most people prefer to lie more diagonal and therefore use longer hammocks.
    right. these are basically tight-line hammocks. serious diagonal isn't the plan. i had one of these years ago. the preferred method then [don't know about now] was to string it very tight with straps. i bought it on a whim and never used it. still have it somewhere.......

• + New Posts