MMG Insulated Sock

Hello to all,
    I wanted to share with you pictures and a short review of my MMG Insulated Sock. For starters, this is my version of a camping hammock and my current favorite.
    It starts off as a double layer 12' gathered end hammock, in 72" Wide Hyper D XL.
    I added a bottom entry bug net as in Northern Wisconsin, you don't leave home without it !

Now for the Insulated sock which is what this review is all about. It was a sub frezzing Wisconsin April and I was thinking about ways to keep warmer in my hammock. I searched the internet and also HF for options. I came across the hammock socks. I read about every post I could find and watched a bunch of videos. I discounted the pull over type socks. I just didn't like the idea of having to try to pull the sock over the head end and then cinch it down; T-Rex arms ! Then I found a couple guys that made them with a zipper entry. Looked good to me, but they didn't make one in the size I needed for the longer, wider hammock I have. Hum.......I knew I wanted a hammock sock, but where could I find one ???

Well a video turned me on to Molly Mac Gear. It looked like it would work, it was kind of like an Under Quilt Protector with a flap that goes over the ridgeline and completely covers you. I sent some emails back and forth with "McEntyre". He answered all my questions and more importantly, agreed to make it to fit my custom sized Camping Hammock !

It didn't end there as the more I looked at MMG's website and looked at the "not so" warm Wisconsin weather, I decided I needed the "Insulated" MMG Sock. This was basically the same as his regular socks, but the inside has a layer of Climashield Apex 3/8″ loft insulation. Mac calls it the Pod option. http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/feat...-hammock-sock/

The only real problem we had was that Mac was out of the camo material I wanted. He eventually found some, but it was going to be a couple months before it was available ! Oh well, I placed my order and waited.

The order finally came in and the package looked kind of small for being insulated. I opened it up and it was indeed uninsulated! I emailed McEntyre and he agreed that I ordered the insulated sock. Mac told me to keep the un-insulated sock and he would be working on the new sock and it would be done soon. I wasn't expecting this at all and would have been happy to send it back if he wanted ! Now that is what I call customer service !!! just awesome.

The insulated sock came in and it was all that and more ! The workmanship is outstanding and it was just plain awesome ! The climashield was covered in a nice black nylon fabric. Since it was insulated, I figured I'd try it without an underquilt. I was in the back yard so if I got cold, I could bail inside. Well no underquilt needed, at least down to 40* which was the coldest it got down to. I was warm and happy. I can't imagine how cold I could go when teamed up with my 20* quilt set. We shall see.

There are a couple neat features there. First, like I said, it's called the "Pod" option which is insulated and will keep you very warm. Second is what Mac calls the "SEEP", which is basically the flap that goes over you to enclose the sock which enables you to easily get in and out. It has a pocket sewn into the bottom where you can store small items or keep a water bottle. The weight helps keep the flap down and wind out. I put it on with my bug net over everything, just to make sure the wind couldn't get in. Mac said it would work either way. Another nice thing is that you don't have to keep the sock enclosed. You can flip the "SEEP" over the ridgeline to expose one side, or flip it all the way over and now you have just the insulated pod !

To say I'm pleased would be an understatement ! I don't think you could go wrong with this set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clarke Vertex with Z liners, Hammeck Envy S with Incubator 20*
    Custom Dutch Hammock 12' x 6' Double Hyper D ! My current daily sleep system !
    Custom SLD Tree Runner Double Hexon 12' x 6' Loco Libre 20* set
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Wow! That looks really nice! I like the way you can use the Fronkey net over it. And I really like the way you can easily leave one side open or completely open both sides and just use it as an underquilt. I like this design better than other pods I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Wow! That looks really nice! I like the way you can use the Fronkey net over it. And I really like the way you can easily leave one side open or completely open both sides and just use it as an underquilt. I like this design better than other pods I've seen.
    It's very comfy and since the pictures, I've tried it with the Fronkey under it. It works either way. There is also plenty of room between for an underquilt,
    Thanks, J
    Clarke Vertex with Z liners, Hammeck Envy S with Incubator 20*
    Custom Dutch Hammock 12' x 6' Double Hyper D ! My current daily sleep system !
    Custom SLD Tree Runner Double Hexon 12' x 6' Loco Libre 20* set
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

• + New Posts