Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My first hammock, costs, mods, impressions and "I used to do that in a tent, how in a hammock?"

Hi,
    Just bought my first hammock after extensive reading on the Internet. Posting here my costs so far, first impressions and some questions.

Costs so far $375 CAD. For $USD equivalent $1CAD = $0.72 USD at this time so take 72% of my figures or $270USD. I bought a Hennessy Expedition Asymmetric Zip. I bought what was recommended by others: Hennessy Hex fly, carabiniers, and descending rings. I added cordage to sling the underquilt, webbing, tent pegs, and a cheap sleeping bag to test as an underquilt. So advice to those budgeting on just the hammock tent alone, there are other costs so figure close to double by the time you are finished.

Underquilt. My first week long trip will be in night time temps forecast for 7C/45F. Re: Celcius, water freezes at 0C and 20C is a nice room temp. Temps above 20C is not an issue for camping. I bought a cheap Canadian Tire (it's a big box household/auto/sporting good/hardware/gardening store) $27 rectangular sleeping bag rated for 6C. Hah. More like 15C it's so thin. So I unzipped it and laid it out. Then folded it by bringing the head end down to the feet end. This gave me a quilt with proportions wider than when the bag is folded its normal way one side to the other.

Underquilt suspension. I like the triangular suspension. One variant is an all string suspension. However people suggest the point load of the string on the netting over the ridgeline can wear a hole in the netting. So using the idea that the triangular piece of cloth spreads the load and reduces chafing, I made a pad to spread the load holding up the underquilt. I had an exercise ball that had a hole it it. The material is tough, pliant, and smooth. See photos. The red string keeps the suspension from sliding down the ridgeline. The red string is tied like a prussic knot to the main tent cord so adjustable. See photos of the suspension and underquilt. I get pretty good contact of the underquilt with the bottom of the tent. I'll try adding some shockcord to draw the underquilt up tighter to the bottom of the tent with some give.

Impressions and observations
    1. Wow, it's small. See photo #1 with the sleeping bag laid out diagonally as I would sleep. It's really meant just for sleeping once inside. I'm used to 2 man tents. In a tent I like lay out and sort my gear for the next day, sit up and change my clothes, etc. Guess with a hammock you do all this outside on the ground under the fly?

2. It's easy to forget and leave the straps in the trees when packing up. Need a way to remember to take them off the trees when packing up.

3. Lots of guy lines to setup. My 2 man tent is free standing and the contents inside weigh it down and keep it from blowing away. The only time I guy it down is if it's really windy. The hammock tent and fly has lots of guylines.

4. The webbing that comes with the Hennessy tent is really short and not really useful. I bought two pieces of webbing each 4 metres long to go around the trees I'll likely encounter. That will handle a tree almost 4 feet diam. I'll bring rope for any trees bigger. People suggest tying a water knot in webbing. I would use a bowline in a bight which is faster to tie, can do it in the dark, is easy to untie, and spreads load out on the webbing like the water knot.

Questions.
    1. Once you are in the tent, legs drawn up and fly zipped up, can you sit up in the hammock tent to change etc.? I see the pictures where people us the hammock like sitting in a swing. I don't mean that, I mean once you've laid down, swung up your legs and zipped the fly. Can you still sit up?

2. Anybody use both flys at the same time? The one that comes with the tent and the optional Hex fly? I can see using the Hex fly to get out of the rain and keep gear on the ground dry, and the smaller original fly in tighter to block heat loss from wind.

3. How do you handle sorting out and getting gear ready, what I used to do inside a tent out of the rain and leave lying there until I need something.

Thanks. I'll get to hang for a week.

2. Setup.jpg3. Adaptation of triangular UQ suspension.jpg4. UQ head end.jpg5. UQ foot end.jpg1. Interior size Hennessy Asym-Zip.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm confused. Why do you call it a tent? The HH Exped Asym Zip doesn't remotely resemble a tent. You seem to be hung very low to the ground, lower than I've ever been. Are you seriously carrying two tarps? That's a lot of weight.

What webbing comes with a Hennessy tent? I'm not following (maybe because you keep calling it a tent). Are you talking about the tree straps for the hammock? Four ft. straps are all I need for my hammock - used to carry 8 ft. straps but that was ridiculous since every tree in the Northeast was clear cut a century ago. Maybe it's different around Vancouver. Don't use rope around the trees - you'll get in trouble with forum members and rangers will frown upon it.

I guess one of the advantages of a tent is being able to set up for the next day, but it's not something I miss. If the weather is fair, I toss all my stuff under my tarp. If it's raining, I keep stuff in my backpack and hang it on the hammock ridgeline. I've never tried to do anything in a zipped up hammock other than sleep. Forget about changing clothes or anything else, unless you're a contortionist.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Use the Hammock strictly for napping or sleeping. Standing under the Hex tarp (strung high and in porch mode) allows ample room to change and freely do what one needs to do with out being hemmed in by walls. Bring a camp chair if you need to sit. Bring a ground sheet if you need something under your feet other than dirt. Google Hammock Hang Calculator to get the basic idea of how to hang your hammock but only use it as a base and adjust to personal preference. Guy lines...2 to hang the Hex and 4 to spread it out..easy peasy. Do not bother with the pull outs on the Hammock...unless compelled to do so.

I would seriously look at investing into a 20f* down Underquilt...yes the dollar sucks but it will save your butt and the cursin when the sleeping bag lets the chill in ....which will happen as temps drop. Anything below 10c is sketchy with your set up IMO

Next TEST TEST TEST TEST in your backyard to gain a understanding of how it all works/limits/etc before venturing off without a bail out point

...again oogle hammock Hang Calculator....
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

SilverSurfer, bkrgi.
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn't have supports in the backyard strong enough to support me in the hammock. You can't see the other support, it was just a bush for the test setup to try out the descender rings, try sliding the snake skins over the hammock, see what this business is about "lying diagonally", etc. Yes, by webbing I mean the tree straps.

I have a bailout on this trip, it's a work trip. Weight isn't an issue on this particular trip as we're getting dropped off by boat. I'm bringing a tent and bringing the hammock to test. I'm hoping to have time in the evenings to play around with the hammock and getting a chance to actually sleep in it. I'm trying to understand how it would work if I commit to bringing only a hammock on future trips.

The el cheapo sleeping bag-underquilt is for the first test. I'm afraid though getting a good underquilt is pushing the entire hammock setup into the $700 CAD range and I have to rethink the concept. I like the idea of a hammock as it has the advantage of light weight on those trips we pack in, not worrying about uneven ground, and a promise of a more comfortable sleep than on the ground.

Thanks for the pointer to the hang calculator, that's interesting.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD Ripstop
    Tarp
    Silpoly 12' Hex
    Insulation
    LLG 30 Deg PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Next TEST TEST TEST TEST in your backyard to gain a understanding of how it all works/limits/etc before venturing off without a bail out point
    Yep! It'll take some getting used to the nuances of hammock camping, but a few trips to the backyard or local park should have you feeling much more comfortable.

Hennessy doesn't make it easy to sit up fully in their shelters since the tarp is designed to attach directly to the hammock ridgeline. You can get more headroom by using a separate RL for the tarp and hanging it a little higher up, this way you can unzip the bug net and flip it off to the side when you need some room. You won't want to go too much higher though since those diamond tarps will have minimal coverage to begin with. I eventually opted for a larger size so I had some wiggle room with my setup.

The ridgeline organizer is great for sorting your small gear, I would recommend getting a small groundsheet for everything else (tyvek works great and can be found pretty cheap). My quilts and clothes get tossed in the hammock as soon as it's setup and everything else stays underneath while I cook dinner. At the end of the night, everything that isn't in the hammock with me ends up in my pack which I'll hang under the tarp (or off a tree with its raincover on).

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

My first hammock, costs, mods, impressions and "I used to do that in a tent, how in a hammock?"

I would consider upgrading to whoopie slings or cinch buckles if you're having a hard time remembering your tree straps. with these systems, the tree straps are tied to the suspension. They're pretty inexpensive upgrades, and they make hanging and adjusting your hammock much easier. I recently put whoopie slings on my hennessy expedition, and I love it. I absolutely hated untying and retying the suspension when making adjustments.

Hammock camping certainly has a learning curve. you'll learn what works best for you the more you fiddle with it.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    CanadaCamper - First, I'm sure many of us have left gear on a tree during the (forever) learning phase. I left $20 USD worth of carabiners, rings and webbing on some trees at Pirate's Cove in the Gulf Island - it happens; you cry a little and move on. Non-earth/tree colors help. Also making rules - "Nobody talk to me while I'm putting the hammock away." Or assign someone tree checking duties (second pair of eyes).

I understand your idea to bring rope for larger trees and I understand the tree size you are dealing with. I have posted photos here (sort of as a joke) showing the trees in the NW (cheated a little and showed a monster from Cathedral Grove). But please don't use rope around the tree. I'm not saying the bark on the tree can't handle it. But there's a perception about tree damage and hammocks. We have a responsibility to our fellow/sister hangers to keep on the good side of any park official. So please use 1 to 2 inch webbing of some sort.

However, if you need to lean towards lighter gear, the webbing just needs to go around the back and sides of the tree. So you could make a webbing + Amsteel harness if necessary.

In the photos (#3) I noticed a big scoop at the end of your under quilt sleeping bag. I think you will benefit from spending a little more money (about $30 USD) and getting an under cover protector from 2QZQ. The UCP (or UQP) is another sheet of nylon that hangs with bungee cord under your hammock. It creates the necessary wind block and will sandwich in your under quilt or camping sleeping pad if you use that.

If you are using a sleeping bag as top quilt, it might work best unzipping it, leaving about 2 to 3 feet zipped at the end for a foot box, and using the rest as a blanket. If you want to get "into" your sleeping bag, it is easier to do that standing outside your hammock. Get into the bag standing up, then sit in your hammock and bring your feet in.

I hesitate to tell you that because I'm taking away all the fun your friends would have watching you try to get into the sleeping bag when you are already in the hammock..

As you've discovered, there is (paradoxically) no "hanging out" in a hammock like there is in a tent. So I'm glad you got the larger Hex Tarp to cover an area larger than your hammock. Yes, your friends can crawl around in their tent - but they will be crawling. You, on the other hand, can sit in your hammock and stand up under the tarp.

There is the privacy issue and one way to handle it is to bring the sides of your tarp down. That blocks the sides and the trees at each end somewhat cover that area. I've found that if you make a show of wanting privacy - lowering the sides of your tarp - others will respect that.

My tarp setup usually has one side down and the other side held up (called porch mode) with either one or two poles. In the evening or when weather threatens, I lower the "porch" side.

I usually tell people that unless they get really specialized, the combination of tarp, suspension, hammock is about the same as a single person tent. So the benefit is comfort.

Granted, you do loose the option, on a rainy day, of messing around, inside, a tent with a friend. Or as you mentioned, going through your gear. But your tent friends, when it rains, will have to be out in the rain, putting their tent away while you can get everything packed while dry under the tarp; then pack up the tarp last.

Speaking of "friends", no matter what you see in advertising photos, hammocks are made for ONE. Other options are outside the realm of this tread (and forum )
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-13-2016 at 14:45.

Hammock
    Hammeck
    1- Yes you can sit up, at least i have never had a problem doing so, and I am 6'2".
    2- I bought a different set up, that didn't have a tarp that came with it. However, I tend to camp with people who don't bring enough supplies - so I bring extra materials such as a bigger tarp to help around the fire pit in case of rain
    3- it depends on what type of gear your are talking about, but its not uncommong for me to bring my packback into the hammock with me.... boots not so much. changing is definitely going to be easier outside of the hammock, but switching socks or something would be fine.

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    I use a completely different set up from the ENO line and a myriad of DIY stuff, but I have no problems sitting up or changing clothes with my hammock setup. Heck, my hiking buddy and I have hung our hammocks close and then rigged our tarps overlapping like a big tent, rolled up a stump, and played cards in the evening. It just takes a ton of backyard or car campground test runs. Always test where you have the option of baling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Incubator, TeWa
    Suspension
    Constant change
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    I would consider upgrading to whoopie slings or cinch buckles
    I second that. Great cheap upgrade. Then again, I waited forever to change it, so maybe it just seems like the ropes were worse than they really were in retrospect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast