Question newbie question - what is the loop material & type Antigravity gear uses to set on the muletape

Hello,

Sorry for a likely redundant question.

However, I'm lost in the terminology. I'm dipping my toe into gear modification by trying mimic Antigravity gear's hammock suspension. I'm trying to lighten the suspension that came with my ENO hammock. I will be purchasing muletape for lengths to trees and 1" tree huggers. But I can't tell by looking at Antigravity Gear website what the bundled end of the hammock looks like. What is the material? What is the type of loop that is used? How is it passed through // attached to the hammock nylon?

Any direction on terms or links would be helpful so I might search this forum and youtube for the changes I'm hoping to execute.

next step after suspension upgrade, I think it is called a ridgeline to build bug sock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I took a look at the website and in my opinion, their suspension is not efficient enough to mimic. I think you'd be better off going the whoopee sling route instead of mule tape. Doing and undoing the Becket hitch as their website suggests is not a bad thing but whoopie slings are easier to adjust and probably a little lighter and less bulky than mule tape.

I would guess that Antigravity Gear hammocks use a continuous loop girth hitched into the end channel of the hammock. If this is so, it's something easily done on your hammock. If you changed to a whoopie sling, you simply feed the fixed loop into the end channel of your hammock and then feed the other end of the whoopie sling through that fixed loop. This is a girth hitch or larkshead. If you wanted a continuous loop with mule tape, you do a girth hitch with the continuous loop and then becket hitch the mule tape to the continuous loop.

It also seems to me that the way they have the tree huggers attached to the mule tape necessitates the multiple wraps of the tree huggers around the tree. Adjusting the height of the hammock after set up would be very difficult. You only need to go around a tree once and later on if you need to raise of lower the straps on the tree, it's not a problem.

There are a lot of different preferences in terms of suspension around here so I'd suggest looking into other options before buying anything. If reducing weight and bulk is your goal, look into whoopie sling or UCR suspensions. An all strap suspension with cinch buckles is a little bit heavier and bulkier but super simple to set up. Those would be my recommendations to look up. Should be some videos around to illustrate them.
    Last edited by Bubba; 06-14-2016 at 00:37.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Yep, watch some videos. The continuous loop is 7/64" Amsteel Blue. There are plenty of lightweight suspensions. Check out Dutchwaregear. Watch Shug's videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you wanna go lighter, dump the ENO hammock. The Anti-Gravity Gear suspension seems a bit unorthodox - you don't hear much about it on HF. Frankly, I don't see the advantage of their system - it's pretty kludgy, and looks like there's no weight savings.

I've been using the Dutch Whoopie Hook system for several years. It's a convenient system, and it's hard to get much lighter, without going stupid light.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    My first hammock was an ENO. As soon as I started reading things here on the forum I swapped out to a whoopie/CL suspension, and it was a great improvement... Lighter, worked well, easier to hang quickly.
    However, after a couple of more weeks of reading more on here, I used the 30 day exchange/return to get my money back and buy an entry-level hammock from one of our cottage vendors... NO regrets!
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Suspension
    My own
    Nothing easier than a set of whoopie slings with Dutch whoopie hooks and continuous loops on your hammock. Super light and fast to setup. Go to Dutchware website for all your needs

thanks everyone

They use a continuous loop of amsteel. You can find tutorials on how to make it in the DIY section and YouTube. It is girth hitched on to the hammock through your end channel like this:
    https://youtu.be/J8efnNIw33Y

You could probably use your stock eno ropes if you didn't want to spring for the amsteel right now.

A lot of people are moving away from whoopies. One big advantage for me of the AGG suspension over whoopies is no minimum hang distance from the tree. It's super simple and fast to adjust. Just as fast as whoopies if you know what you're doing. And it's cheaper than amsteel.

There is no weight/bulk penalty. Amsteel is lighter per foot but to make a whoopie you have to use almost double the length of amsteel for a usable length of suspension. Both end up being close to 3g/foot.

• + New Posts