Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Insulation
    Diy oq, uq, apex
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Not in that area. But last year it was warm (I had my underquilt haunt but off to side ) about 5:00 am I pulled that sucker under me and was laughing to myself because camping buddy was breaking my balls about bothering to hang it before we went to bed. We woke up about 9am first thing he says is "bit it got a lil chilly this morning" my answer I didn't notice cause I had my quilt you were teasing me about .we both laughed. Point is what's it weight a pound pound and a half ..... Just bring it with you good insurance.

Images
    I am a warm sleeper, a under pad in my double dutch hammock and a light fleece blanket and I am good, used it down to 50 degrees and was warm.

Hammock
    Hammeck
    I have actually only hung without insulation thus far. I even have a dual layer hammock. But I am new, and have only camped in my hammock for about 6 nights total, and about to go on 5 day trip in less than 2 weeks. Those trips are during warm weather so i wasn't as worried about it. I will lounge and nap in my hammock all the time, but I havent pulled the trigger yet on fully transforming my coleman sleeping bag in some type of a make shift DIY UQ. I have some fo those tarp clips, and some paracord I think i can fashion something together.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think it may matter how far South, and which month. I have made several treks over the years where the high was about 98 F. Before bed, we take a dip in a spring-fed creek to lower our core temperature, because it is still above 85 F near midnight.

Underquilt? Nope... We hope it will get at least a bit chilly when it is like that... In reality, we avoid backpacking when it is that hot. It is better to go float down the river or head to cooler climes.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Only time I've slept without an UQ, other than naps, was when I was working a music festival in July in MA. it was during a heat wave and daytime temps were hovering around 100, no idea what night temps were. I haven't been out in temps that high in a long time, and I'm usually hiking in the whites so I'm at elevation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    It only took one night of sleeping without an UQ or pad for me to realize that I never want to risk having to spend a night without one again. Plus, if the temps are warm enough to sleep without an UQ the mosquitoes will be in full force anyway and since I don't use a bug dome the mosquitoes would just bite through my hammock if I didn't have my UQ or pad in place.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The great thing about under quilts that I don't think has been mentioned as of yet in this thread is the ability with most hammocks to slide the entire quilt out from under at the start of the night. Get the cooling effect that hammocks are perfect for when it's hot and muggy but then should you become chilled to cool at some point in the night you can pull it back over in place under you and boom warmth when needed. Not that it really saves your pack weight any but a reasonable compromise for warm summer nights.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters MG-10501e
    Tarp
    DD3x3, GoOutfitter
    Insulation
    SnugPack
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    I do not use UQ, but use fleece blankets or 3-season bag. I also have a bug net hammock so the bugs don't bother me.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Slept for 2 weekends in a row with a 20* TQ and nothing underneath Memorial Day weekend and the weekend after in Southeast MO. Stayed plenty warm and comfy even though overnight temps got down to the mid 50s. It wasn't generally hot during the day, but pants weren't especially comfortable in the late afternoon. I think the heavy top and vented bottom did a fantastic job of regulating our temperatures. I will be making some 45-50* quilt sets for the family soon, anyhow though and I think a lighter top would require a bottom layer in those climes. If it's above 70, though I think a 50*TQ would be sufficient

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

I dont bust out a pad until 50s. Im good to 60 with just a bag or bag liner. Never use under insulation in the summer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast