differents in double an single layer hammocks

what is the big differents between double an single layer hammocks as of anything cold, hot weather, weight

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm no expert, but here's my view of things-

I'm 5'11"/200lbs. I have both a Hexon W 1.6 Single Layer Dutchware and a Hexon W 1.6 Double Layer Dutchware.
    I Bought my Single Layer first and absolutely love it. The Double came a month later because I wanted a 2 color hammock from dutch, no other reason. Things I've noticed:
    -Obviously, the double is twice the weight. Still fits inside of the same sized stuff sack.
    -Single breathes a bit more. This can be good or bad depending on the weather and your insulation.
    -Double is slightly more wind resistant, but not enough to warrant less insulation, just a tad less "Cutting" wind.
    -Single stretches slightly more for obvious reasons.
    -Double is more "Firm", but not uncomfortably so. (think mattresses)
    -Both are Hexon 1.6 and 72" wide.
    -Both are equally roomy
    -Double seems to mitigate "Calf ridge" a bit better as the load is spread more evenly
    -I've never felt the single was too stretchy or spongy or unsupportive of my weight
    -Trying to stuff a pad between the layers of the double is almost more trouble than it's worth to me. I'm also an Underquilt guy, so I really don't care, but I thought I'd give it a shot just for kicks.
    -Get Knotty Mods if you're going with Wide fabric. Single or double, your gear and top insulation will want to waterfall off the edge otherwise, though it's "roomier" if you're not using them.
    Sometimes, my dog likes to jump in the hammock with me. I'm less afraid of nails ripping my double, though the single has held up just fine to multiple puppy-piles.
    That having been said, I want a Hexon 2.4, and a Hexon 1.0 to round out the set. I simply like to have options and extra hammocks in case one get's dirty from camping (I'm a full time hammocker at home too, so both Hammocks see high frequency use) or a friend needs one. I'm fully confident in Hexon 1.0's ability to hold 200lbs when I go to get one.
    The short and long of it all is, I say get a single first and save your money unless you need a double, or just really want a double. My Charcoal/Burnt Orange Double w/ Orange stitching looks pretty **** nice, and the hexon fabric as a whole is very pleasant to lay on.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    One item I like about my DL, I take off my sweaty shirt, socks, pants and put them into the double layer, under my legs. They don't really dry out much, well merino wool does. But in the AM.....I can be siting in the hammock, with the TQ over my torso....and my body is keeping those hiking clothes warm. Makes changing into the hiking clothes nicer as they are at least warmish (still damp with sweat)
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrogen View Post
    -Trying to stuff a pad between the layers of the double is almost more trouble than it's worth to me. I'm also an Underquilt guy, so I really don't care, but I thought I'd give it a shot just for kicks.
    Well, that depends entirely on the design of the double layer. I love the way Warbonnet does the opening for pad. It's huge. The layers are connected in the middle for only maybe 8". But I found that many hammock makers tend to sew the layers almost shut. With my WL Owls it's a PITA to put the pad between the layers. I don't know what the reasoning behind that decision is.

• + New Posts