Hammock
    DH Sparrow and DH Free Bird
    Tarp
    HG Hex and UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 and 40
    Suspension
    Clinch Buckle
    I live in bear country and I have never had any problems in the backcountry. Even though I cook some yummy food, no dehydrated stuff I also dont hike more then 8 miles at a time. That said I dont cook under my tarp and I hang my food at night. My friend and I usually bring a light crappy tarp from Walmart if its raining and hang it over the fire. I have a titanium toaks 2 liter pot with a bail handle that I love. Cut a few sticks and make something to hang it over the fire. I have brought a stove maybe once into the woods and I didnt like it at all.

I would not risk my tarps. Have a UGQ Winter dream 13 foot and a HG 12 foot cuban tarp. Maybe one day when all my gear is old and I don't care but sparks freak me out. Not sure its worth putting a hammock, uq, and tarp at risk. Espeically with wet wood.. that stuff sparks like no other.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Robinson View Post
    Oh and being in uk smell of cooking under the tarp isn't likely to attract anything higher up the food chain

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    I agree. Squirrels are not much of a threat. Barely a need for a bear bag either. I would not use a wood stove under my tarp. Alcohol or gas canister stoves are not a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    If its windy...rainy...very cold...or very uneven, I will boil my water while I sit in my hammock. That was the reason I got a jetboil...I can hold it in my hand while I boil my water for coffee or my dehydrated meals.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhagan View Post
    If its windy...rainy...very cold...or very uneven, I will boil my water while I sit in my hammock. That was the reason I got a jetboil...I can hold it in my hand while I boil my water for coffee or my dehydrated meals.
    Man, you NAILED it. I mean any stove except a wood burner is totally fine under the tarp IMO. But the Jetboil is nice for that reason. Plus, holding the canister keeps it warm and really improves the time and efficiency. Cold hands, but only for a bit. Of course, you don't have too. I once woke up around 2am with frozen feet. I heated up 800ml of water in literally 1 minute with my jetboil and had a nice hot water bottle ready...all without even sitting up in my hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Same as others - boil water with alky. I will eat breakfast under tarp if I am breaking camp and leaving. We do not eat, even with rain, prior to bunking down when in bear country. Two places we camp we do not even eat in campsite - wander off to where there is a view. One of these places, Massasauga Provincial Park Ontario Canada we are 2 for 2 with bears in campsite. No harm, no foul. They stop by, look for easy pickings and go on their way. These are fixed back country sites. Rangers recommend daytime hanging of bear bags.

Now, with that said I know plenty of people that sleep in lean tos in Adirondacks (bear country) and you just know someone was cooking there the night before and since it is a fixed location it is on Mr. Bear's shopping route.

Also, I am newer to hammocks. Really loving it. But also am interested in the Smokehouse II hot tent hammock tarp and similar set ups. Small wood stove with chimney. Not sure about that just yet.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I NEVER EVER cook or eat under my tarp nor near my hammock. Critters can smell food from miles away, I am very careful to eat away from my sleeping site. I never wear clothes I cooked in inside of my hammock. I guess I am a worry wort, these thin filmy fabrics and combustible insulation make me very nervous around any sort of fire. Maybe it is just my background, I don't know. I do know how fast our comfy sleep quilts, tarps and hammocks will burst into flames or burn.

I have looked and considered owning a Goat Stove, but I think I would want a canvas tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Images
    I don't cook or eat in the hammock.

I do have a separate tarp that I've brought along in case of rain, but so far, haven't had to use it as the kitchen tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567