DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdu View Post
    I just joined this forum, so hi! I'm a newb at camping and hammocks. We've been camping several times and one of the things I hate is sleeping on the mats in the tent. While I've never slept in a hammock, they sure feel comfortable while I'm resting in one and I'm guessing sleeping in one would be better, for me at least, than sleeping on those mats. We did have collapsible cots at one point, I can't remember why we're not using those anymore. At any rate, I was wondering whether there exists a portable, which I'll equate to light weight and collapsible, hammock which could be used inside a tent? I've read a few of the threads and did some initial searching but nothing jumped out as addressing this. Not sure if it's a dumb idea or not.

Thanks,
    Nick
    There is a portable hammock and frame in New Zealand for sale in the large hardware chain stores.

It is fairly compact for what it is and fairly cheap
    BUT it is bulky and large.
    Car camping only
    2 of them take up half an average car boot.

I would stick to hammocks like members here use.

More comfortable and recommendations galore about brands and accessories

in-tent hammock?

I suppose any existing tents out there would prove difficult to hang from. I would suggest you try a hammock since they are relatively cheap these days. You might not go back to tents... ever!

Quote Originally Posted by MeAndMyBeans View Post
    Sorry for trying to give a solution, which the OP approved of, to an uncommon request...I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on, instead of trying to assist...
    You provided a solution and other members chimed in as to why it's not a viable/responsible solution for the OP's situation. You don't have to take it as a personal attack, everyone is just trying to help the OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

in-tent hammock?

if you're worried about being close to your family, I'd recommend looking at the add a porch mod from wildernesslogics.

http://wildernesslogics.com/ADD-A-PORCH-AAP.htm

you could hang your hammock near your family's tent, and you could connect the porch to the tent somehow. It'd be like a little corridor between your hammock and your family's tent.

Quote Originally Posted by MeAndMyBeans View Post
    Sorry for trying to give a solution, which the OP approved of, to an uncommon request...I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on, instead of trying to assist...
    Please don't keep your mouth shut. I thought the tentsile was an interesting solution. I too thought that everyone might end up rolling to the center, but I did watch one video where the presenter specifically talked about this and it seems that's not the case. Not sure I would listen to a ranger if he/she asked me to take it down as I'm not sure he/she would have any way to back up that request. If you could hang a hammock between two trees why can't you hang the tentsile between three trees? I doubt they have some rules which specifically disallow that.

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You've come up with a fairly unique request, a tent in a hammock. A few questions:

1. Are you a car camper where weight is no object? Stands, tentsiles, Smokehouse hot tents, etc., are far from lightweight. And they're probably not going to be cheap either.
    2. How many people are going to be in this tent that has a hammock in it?
    3. Are you trying to sleep with the people in the tent, or would they be okay in the tent while you slept outside in a hammock? Things would be a lot easier if you just went with a basic hammock, tarp, and insulation for one person and skipped the more difficult (by a factor of 10, probably) hammock inside a tent idea. If you like it, then you can look into hammocks for the other tent dwellers.
    4. Is money no object?

I'd suggest you start with a hammock outside the tent for lounging, then get a tarp, then get some insulation.
    I think I'll take the suggestion about reading a bunch more on this forum about hammocks before I make any decisions. I just hate sleeping on those mats, however I do want to be with the rest of the family, at least while we're doing stuff together. For instance, we were camping just this past weekend and all at the picnic table playing a board game. The mosquitoes came out so we moved the game into the tent. So it would be nice to have a "bug free" zone which can house everyone while we're doing stuff together. Then I'm fine with sleeping separately, each in their own hammock.

If our entire family went camping it would be six. Last weekend it was just myself, my wife and two of the kids. I wouldn't say money is no object, but I don't mind paying for quality stuff which I expect to last for a long time.

Looks like I have a lot to learn about hammock camping. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by moseng View Post
    in-tent hammock?

I suppose any existing tents out there would prove difficult to hang from. I would suggest you try a hammock since they are relatively cheap these days. You might not go back to tents... ever!
    Just curious, do you say I might not go back to tents ever because hammocks are so much more comfortable to sleep in, or are there many other benefits? As I mentioned, I have not slept in a hammock yet but have to believe it's more comfortable than sleeping on the ground (even with the mats).

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    tentsile

I'd keep looking my friend and hide you CC's for a bit.
    I must not be up on my two letter acronyms. CC? I can think of closed caption or carbon copy. Nothing else comes to mind.

Thanks,
    Nick

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdu View Post
    I must not be up on my two letter acronyms. CC? I can think of closed caption or carbon copy. Nothing else comes to mind.

Thanks,
    Nick
    CC= Credit Card

Outfitting a family of 6 will be expensive you might want to checkout the DIY section of this forum.
    Making gathered end hammocks and bug nets is quite easy and alot cheaper than buying ready mades.
    12x10 blue tarps sold at Walmart or Targets will work fine for now.
    The DIY summer top quilts and under quilts are also very easy to make with basic sewing skills.
    Converting inexpensive down throws or the GI wobbie is a very popular option.

Making all this gear can be a fun and rewarding family event.

@MeandMyBean, I am sorry you took my comments on the tentsile personnal I did not mean it that way.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Nick,
    I don't know of any off the shelf hammock tents but if you are into DIY you could make one.
    You could also contact one of our many hammock/hammock accessory vendors and talk to them about a custom design.
    That is what I did and I could not be happier. This is a 12'RLx14' sylnylon tarp with doors, no catcuts, and I've added custom Al supports for snow loads in winter.

O&B this is the first I have seen this. I am wowed.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast