Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    SLD Simp. Asym.
    Insulation
    EE Rev / Revolt
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Whoopi

Simple Indoor Brazilian hammock setup - TV corner

I saw the ENO hammock anchors at REI, and decided it was time to get a hammock indoors again (since it was 118 degrees outside here in Gilbert last week...)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I used to have this hammock stand, but after a year of abuse by myself and my kids, one of the legs slowly tore off.

http://www.amazon.com/Vivere-Double-...rch_detailpage

I kept the hammock, though, I've been pretty happy with it.

The carabiners barely fit the tied up loops (with metal reinforcement). This means it's very difficult to take the hammock down. We want to be able to take off one end and clip it against the other end, so the hammock just sits against the wall out of the way. I thought about getting some shackles, but my wife wanted it to be even easier than that, also so that the youngest kids could easily take it down and up again, so I'm planning on replacing the biners with these oval biners that fit better. (Trying to determine if they can be load bearing for a big guy like me.)

http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Rock-Oval-...A3DO0TG4NXJT24

The thing I'm happiest with is finding studs exactly 10ft apart in the corner. I think this hammock came 130 inches long, but that hammock stand stretched it out a lot - now it's more like 145 now. This means no straps, no dangly bits, it doesn't look like I've hung a travel hammock up in the living room, etc etc.

Two things I learned.

1.) I was following the instructions exactly for the anchors. When I was done, I realized I had two unused washers. The picture showed the washers, but the written text forgot to mention them! I didn't want to unscrew anything since I was afraid I'd weaken the wood or have the screws pull out if I used the same hole, but the hole was exactly where I wanted it. Which leads to...

2.) without the washer, it the anchor turned on me with my first trepidatious sit. The side pictured above stayed fine, but the one pictured below ended doing a tiny bit of damage to the dry wall. I decided to keep it as is, since that was the natural angle of least resistance for the anchor, but I think if I'd used the washer and kept it vertical it wouldn't have damaged the dry wall. A little paint will fix most of it, but there may be a small dent should we ever remove the anchors.

image.jpg

Thanks to hammock forums for teaching and inspiring me!
    Last edited by Dusey; 06-07-2016 at 12:56.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    That looks great and so much cooler inside. Well done.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* quilts
    Suspension
    beetles
    That biner is a rock climbing biner. Theyre usually rated to about 20 kilonewtons (about 4500 lbs of force). They'll work just fine for hanging.
    There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    SLD Simp. Asym.
    Insulation
    EE Rev / Revolt
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Whoopi
    Thanks AsaHanger! I thought that was the case, but since I'm not into rock climbing I wasn't sure (I got dissuaded by reviewers saying there going to buy it just to hang various climbing gear from.). Ordering now...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* quilts
    Suspension
    beetles
    Glad to help, Dusey. They may be hanging gear from it due to its weight. Climbers can be just as compulsive over grams as backpackers can be.
    There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

• + New Posts