Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    After almost nine years of hanging in a DEC campground, North South Lake in the Catskills, last week we were told by a young ranger that next time we could not sleep the night in our hammocks : it is a privacy issue.

Spoke to the superintendent of the park today.
    She and her staff have always been very considerate with us AND we want the mutual respect to continue.

There was a directive given during the pre-season meetings at the state DEC level.
    Hammocks are not considered camping equipment. They were called tent-hammocks, with attached tarps. ? ? ? a privacy issue ? ? ?

I explained that most people use much larger tarps, tied low. Particularly in the Catskills with all the rain.

She could not give exact reasons why this is an issue now.

I 'supposed' an example : perhaps some few vigorous young souls had used insufficient judgement and had sex in a crowed family camping situation, too open to others nearby. And someone complained.

She thought that may be; but could not say.
    Because it is understandable AND we want the mutual respect to continue, did not press her for more.

She gave me a name and number of the Recreational manger of the DEC. (I will publish it here.)
    But I neglected to get an email address.
    I have not been able to find one on the DEC website. Still looking.

I suggested this, simple, argument :
    This limited use of hammocks eliminated the camping possibilities of many seniors and others who could no longer sleep on the ground.
    ( And of course many, many others also. Just using that point for it's obvious power. )

She understood this and suggested that logical, rational arguments, calmly sent to the powers that be would be a good forward course.

G
    Last edited by G...Hawk; 06-07-2016 at 14:47.
    trailname : Distracted By Stone

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yes, please post up that phone number. I plan on calling. We should get every forum member to call. Maybe then they will see the lack of logic in this insane rule.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Privacy issue - that is bizarre. Of course, this seems to be a verbal interpretation of Part 190 Title 6NYCRR which governs the use of DEC campgrounds. I can't find anything in writing saying that hammocks are banned at Forked Lake or any other campground. I suspect this is a knee-jerk reaction by some bureaucrat.

Reminds me of the time my daughter had chapped lips and I gave her some lip balm to take to school. The teachers took it away because of NJ State Law banning self-administration of medication by students. "Chapstick is medication?" I asked, and they insisted it was. I asked to see the NJ State Law banning lip balm but it didn't exist. Finally, they gave me the name of the doctor in charge of NJ schools. I called him and asked why anyone would ban lip balm.

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard," he said. "Why would anyone ban lip balm or chapstick?" He sent a letter to my daughter's school, and they left her alone about the chapstick.

Five years later, my son had chapped lips, and I gave him some lip balm to take to school. They took it away. I went down to school, and there was a new school nurse who didn't know any better. The principal told her to leave my son and his chapstick alone. They continued to ban all other kids from using lip balm/chapstick, but they left my son alone.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I sent an e-mail to [email protected] to find out what is going on. Since it doesn't seem to be part of the rules, I want the name of the person who issued this edict.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Privacy issue - that is bizarre. Of course, this seems to be a verbal interpretation of Part 190 Title 6NYCRR which governs the use of DEC campgrounds. I can't find anything in writing saying that hammocks are banned at Forked Lake or any other campground. I suspect this is a knee-jerk reaction by some bureaucrat.

Reminds me of the time my daughter had chapped lips and I gave her some lip balm to take to school. The teachers took it away because of NJ State Law banning self-administration of medication by students. "Chapstick is medication?" I asked, and they insisted it was. I asked to see the NJ State Law banning lip balm but it didn't exist. Finally, they gave me the name of the doctor in charge of NJ schools. I called him and asked why anyone would ban lip balm.

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard," he said. "Why would anyone ban lip balm or chapstick?" He sent a letter to my daughter's school, and they left her alone about the chapstick.

Five years later, my son had chapped lips, and I gave him some lip balm to take to school. They took it away. I went down to school, and there was a new school nurse who didn't know any better. The principal told her to leave my son and his chapstick alone. They continued to ban all other kids from using lip balm/chapstick, but they left my son alone.
    Oh your THAT dad!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Oh your THAT dad!

Yup. Nothing bothers me more than administrators who verbally communicate new rules. Why would you verbally communicate that hammocks are now banned? Probably, because if you put it in writing, it would look ludicrous, be made fun of, and generally make you look like an idiot. We'll find the genius who communicated this verbal edict to his minions. He'll probably get very defensive at first, then he's going to start getting phone calls and e-mails that will make him look stupid, and he'll back off.

However, it's possible that any sort of criticism may cause him (or her) to be more defensive of people questioning his authority.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    The forum rules prevent my comments.....

Sv-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Is it more powerful for many individuals to contact the DEC ( or any other future governing body that needs calling) or for us to form a NHHA, National Hammock Hangers Association? Or, an AHHA. American Hammock Hangers Association?

I like AHHA, because we can cause them to have an AH-HA moment!

Your thoughts?

Is it time?
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Not all tarps are created equal. It would be difficult for them to say a tarp is as private as a tent due to the varying shapes and sizes, doors or not, etc. but I guess the same could be said for a summer tent with an all-screen top for ventilation.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tree Frog View Post
    Is it more powerful for many individuals to contact the DEC ( or any other future governing body that needs calling) or for us to form a NHHA, National Hammock Hangers Association? Or, an AHHA. American Hammock Hangers Association?

I like AHHA, because we can cause them to have an AH-HA moment!

Your thoughts?

Is it time?
    I certainly think that we might benefit from having an association to protect our interests. This is a prime example of a poorly thought-out, poorly executed, poorly communicated attempt to ban hammocks from state parks via verbal fiat.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast