Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Full, Short, 3/4...Don't knock it till you try it

I've always been a proponent of full length quilts. Having a standard length (78") Incubator in 0°, 20° and 40° flavors, I was set. But then I decided to try the short version (73"). At 5'9", this was still plenty to cover me from my neck to a few inches past my feet...nice peace of mind for cold feet. With lots of down (top quilt and bottom quilt) the reduction in bulk is always welcome.

Sometime in between there I even tried the Phoenix at 52". This left about 17" of me uncovered and I just didn't want to mess with a pad under my feet/legs, so I rather quickly scratched it off the list. But I recently gave it another chance. Starting at my shoulders, I was surprised the 3/4 almost covers me completely! I would guess there's 5" of feet to cover. At this point, I can probably get away with wearing the 30-40° booties I usually take anyway. Especially true at warmer temps (40°+ lows).

When it's colder, say 30° and lower, I could still make this work but I'll probably go with the Incubators. I remember Silvrsurfr mentioning a similar approach.

So even though we have several threads on 3/4 vs full, and I've mentioned this elsewhere, I really wanted to make a new thread about giving things a real chance before discounting them. It's a good way to shave bulk and weight if desired. I did the same with sleeping bags for years until trying a top quilt, realizing it was the best move ever. Now if I can just talk myself into whoopie slings (won't happen )

I'm continuing to break my stubbornness, and it's paying off.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I was actually following your several threads and it bounced me back and forth for awhile too. I actually even sold a phoenix 40 because the cord up over my foot was bothering me so much. Then something SilvrSurfr mentioned in one of those threads clicked on a light bulb for me that my problem was actually "psychosomatic" because, as he mentioned the shock cord is in the exact same place it's just covered by fabric and what not on full length quilts. Well duh, I felt really stupid. I sleep like a dormant volcano , cold has never been an issue so I immediately ordered a Dutch version phoenix 40. That little lesson cost me a few bucks but oh well, it's been fun to follow your though process on this whole thing and I learned a thing or two as well. Love it, no matter how long you've been into this stuff, always learning something new.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yes that cord is annoying, but I keep my foot under it and try to resist from "feeling for it" with my foot. For me, it's entirely NOT in the same place as the Incubator:

Phoenix - line next to, or over foot

Incubator - fabric/down is against foot with cord well above. This is why my feet are always warm!

So it's simply more than just "covering" the cord with fabric/down. The Incubator hangs differently and more comfortably IMO. But I should be able to get used to the Phoenix.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    So what's your motivation for going to a "shorter" under quilt?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I've been down this familiar road ... thank you for the thread.
    I am eagerly awaiting 1.0 Hexon W fabric for a wide gathered-end since other non-bridge hammocks haven't worked out for me. I am about to make an 11 footer from 1.0 Hexon to try out the fabric, in fact.

I just picked up a Phoenix in anticipation!

Question: How does the hammock fabric at the foot not "crush" the loft of the TQ (when using a Phoenix)?

Thanks again!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    So what's your motivation for going to a "shorter" under quilt?
    A few things, mainly pack space. I don't necessarily need it since everything fits fine in both my packs, but I don't pack them as tight with the smaller quilt. Also a meager weight savings, so no big deal there.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Question: How does the hammock fabric at the foot not "crush" the loft of the TQ (when using a Phoenix)?
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. You mean your legs pressing down against the Phoenix? The down under your legs will get compressed in the TQ, but the Phoenix hangs independently of the weight on top, so it's not getting packed down. There's also a draft collar (tube filled with down) running side to side at the end of the UQ, so that also seals off the gap to eliminate any drafts.

Here's a shot with the TQ:

The cord is slightly pressing on the TQ; not enough to cause any problems. Under that TQ are my toes pressing against the cord; pretty annoying but only if I wiggle around and kick my feet out more.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    So far I'm a 3/4 length person for my +25° backpacking.
    Last winter I tried out a Peapod that took me down to around 15°. It was a good experiment and gave me a taste of colder weather camping. I'll try again this winter and if it takes, I'll probably want to try a full length 0° UQ. I figure the full UQ won't be as constricting as the peapod.
    But we will see.. I'm keeping my options open as well.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    So far I'm a 3/4 length person for my +25° backpacking.
    Last winter I tried out a Peapod that took me down to around 15°. It was a good experiment and gave me a taste of colder weather camping. I'll try again this winter and if it takes, I'll probably want to try a full length 0° UQ. I figure the full UQ won't be as constricting as the peapod.
    But we will see.. I'm keeping my options open as well.
    I love my full 0° Incubator for winter. That wiggle room above my head and below my feet is nice for when you want to move around in the hammock to find that sweet spot and not worry about becoming "exposed". Also nice for breakfast-from-the-hammock where you sit up a lot higher and still have insulation under your back...unless maybe your name is TallPaul? HAHA!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    "Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Question: How does the hammock fabric at the foot not "crush" the loft of the TQ (when using a Phoenix)?"

"I'm not exactly sure what you mean here."
    I'm referring to your 1st pic, with the Phoenix and your feet pressing the side of the hammock. W/ a pad underneath and no down outside (ie: UQ), it looks like the feet and hammock combine to compress everything between them (ie:TQ)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I see. Well, in that last pic there is some good loft in the TQ. You can see the cord digging in a bit, but I don't think that would matter.

I've seen some photos/videos with 3/4 UQ and their shockcord coming nowhere close to the feet. I'm not sure how that is. I tried this in 3 different hammocks. Changing position in my hammock doesn't really change anything. Weird.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast