Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Spring Conference - Proud Father Moment

Before the hammock talk, I need to take a moment to brag about my son. He and two troop mates went through their OA Ordeal this last weekend. Those of you who know what that means will know I'm bursting with pride.

Sash and Shirt.jpg

Don't worry, this is hammock related! I'm a part of the 12 night challenge, and this was the first of my June hangs as well. The weather was wet, but not stormy (perfect for an Ordeal!). I stayed dry and warm in my DIY rig. I was worried about that since my hammock is now a monster and my tarp is the same size as before. I decided to take some precautions and hung my rain jacket on the foot end of my whoopie sling to act as a little rain guard. It stayed dry, too.

good hammock-1.jpg

A boy scout from another troop hung up a fresh out of the snake skins Hennessey hammock. I saw him hanging it and tried to give him some advice, but he was young enough to know everything, to paraphrase Oscar Wilde, so he did it his way. Poor guy.

bad hammock.jpg
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Congrats on your son's achievment. Great comparison on hanging technique. He'll learn, but its got to come to him on his own terms. Should only take a couple more night's like that before he turns for help from you. Teach him well!

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    Congratulations on your son. My gets taped in in a couple of weeks then his ordeal will be in August. I noticed your son is a life son mine is also. Has your son started his eagle project?

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    No Eagle project yet. He is just 13 at the moment, so he still has some merit badges to get. I figure he should have a chance to enjoy the journey! I know from experience, though, not to wait too long. I slid into my Eagle Badge at the last minute with minimum requirements!
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

• + New Posts