Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question TQ Design- shapes and attachment point questions

This week I'll be making a top quilt to use this summer in the High Sierras. I am having trouble deciding on a shape and what kind of attachment points to use to attach it to my sleeping pad. I'm using 7.5oz climashield for insulation, 1.0oz HyperD calendered ripstop for the shell and Argon67 for the liner. I'm a bit disappointed by the Argon because it feels very slippery/plasticy to me. I'm considering scrapping it and buying some Hexon1.0 for the liner with the hope it will be more 'cottony.' Has anyone used Hexon1.0? I'll be putting drawstrings at the shoulder and foot to help with heat retention.

SIZING:
    So I just drew out the quilt on my climashield and got underneath it to pretend I'm sleeping under it. It seems HUGE. I'm using the dimensions from EE for a short person in the regular width- so 54" wide with a half taper down to 40" at the feet. Its enormous. I am 5'2" woman with roughly 36-28-37 measurements. I'm thinking I should step down to the narrower width. Anyone out there with my body type and the regular EE width?

The two shapes I am torn between are the shape of the Prodigy by Enlightened Equipment and the more simple taper of the Proton by Thermarest.

Here is the Proton-
    5045-947_POI00_view1_1000x1000.jpg

And here is the Prodigy-
    prodigy.jpg

Is there an advantage of keeping the full width of the quilt to about halfway down like the Prodigy? I am sure that I would save some weight by doing a simpler taper like the Proton.

On to attachment styles.

At first, I was planning to copy the way the Prodigy connected to a sleeping pad and was able to clip to itself to be even more snug because this gives me the ability to get the quilt snug around me if it is really cold. I am hesitant to use this style for two reasons- 1. I am concerned that the little plastic buckles will break from repeated use 2. Setup is more complicated because I have to put the elastic bands on my sleeping pad every night. Does anyone have experience using the EE quilts with this kind of connection system? Here is a photo of the two ways the straps can be used:
    strap system.jpg

The much simpler way to go would be to copy the way Thermarest quilts attach to sleeping pads. The downside to this method is that you can't snug the quilt up around your body for heat retention. Here is what that looks like:

What do you think are the best options?
    Last edited by WayfinderAli; 06-07-2016 at 10:19.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I prefer the "half-taper" of the EE quilts (which I own and love, by the way). More coverage for a ways down is better when I toss & turn.

As for attachment points and straps - I don't & won't use 'em. They are of even less use to me in a hammock, where it's easier for the quilt to stay tucked due to the body sinking into the hammock fabric. On the ground, I would only use them when I'm seriously pushing the lower end of my quilt's temp range.

Thanks for the info! I probably won't be testing the lower end of this quilt's range this summer. The only reason I went with 7.5 climashield is because I'm a cold sleeper and I have a Thermarest tech blanket for the warm nights. (I'm horsepacking all summer, so weight isn't as huge an issue as with backpacking) Maybe I'll go ahead and sew in little strips of grossgrain ribbon but defer adding snaps or buckles until I've used it enough to know what I'll need.

Thanks for the tips

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    I do a taper, I also use a single layer of fabric (hemmed) about 6.5 inches wide around the top 2/3s of my TQ, the single layer of fabric, stops the little heat stealers. I stop the draft collar, where I begin the taper. I really love my draft stoppers, easy, they just fall into place, I do not need to tuck them in, they do not wad up, they just block any drafts. Plus when it is really cold, I can flop the quilt over my head and still have breathing space (so far no problem with condensation.

I have happily used the Argon, both TQ types, I just love the stuff, for me it preforms as advertised. Easy to stitch, wonderfully soft and compliant.

I suggest buying samples or even a yard of fabric you are considering, see how it feels, sews and what color you like best. Shipping is quick and a preview saves $ and frustration.

Call me whatever, I hate being fastened into anything when there is a chance I might need to make a hasty exit. I hate straps and tiedowns for sleeping bags/top quilts. If the need arises I want to be able to exit FAST. Part of what I love about Hanging is the feeling of NOT being tethered, I like the openness and feeling as one with my environment.

However, I did put a bit of shock cord on the foot end of my TQ and attached it to my hammock. I also have a quilt hook near my hip, so I do not loose my TQ getting in and out of the hammock.
    Last edited by ironfish77; 06-05-2016 at 22:00.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WayfinderAli View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed by the Argon because it feels very slippery/plasticy to me. I'm considering scrapping it and buying some Hexon1.0 for the liner with the hope it will be more 'cottony.' Has anyone used Hexon1.0? I'll be putting drawstrings at the shoulder and foot to help with heat retention.
    Don't evaluate a fabric before it's sewn up. I made that mistake with the 1.6oz Argon. It felt and looked terrible when I got it. But once it was in hammock shape (and washed once), it felt super nice. The Argon 90 and 67 are both very nice quilt fabrics. I have a couple of underquilts, and they all feel nice and soft.

Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post
    I do a taper, I also use a single layer of fabric (hemmed) about 6.5 inches wide around the top 2/3s of my TQ, the single layer of fabric, stops the little heat stealers. I stop the draft collar, where I begin the taper. I really love my draft stoppers, easy, they just fall into place, I do not need to tuck them in, they do not wad up, they just block any drafts. Plus when it is really cold, I can flop the quilt over my head and still have breathing space (so far no problem with condensation.
    If I understand correctly, you basically have flaps of single layer fabric stitched to the edges of your quilt, starting at the top corners and extending to where the taper starts?

Good point on getting out of your sleep system quickly and easily. I hate that about mummy bags.

Images
    If you sleep on your side with legs bent you might favor the EE style of taper- I know I do.

I made my TQ with a half taper because I like to sleep on my side and that seemed to give the best coverage while prototyping (BTW, I recommend prototyping your shape and dimensions with an old sheet and safety pins). I went with a sewn footbox and sewn up about 18". That works great for my lower half. I added grosgrain loops with KAM snaps at the top, in line with my drawcord at the top. That has worked really well for me in cold weather. I get in the hammock and snap the loops in front of my face, then slide it behind my head and cinch the drawcord. Without snapping and cinching I get too many drafts at the top and it tends to flip off of me when I change sides.

I haven't envisioned a pad scenario, so not sure about another set of snaps further down, that certainly hasn't been necessary in a hammock scenario.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I made my TQ with a half taper because I like to sleep on my side and that seemed to give the best coverage while prototyping (BTW, I recommend prototyping your shape and dimensions with an old sheet and safety pins). I went with a sewn footbox and sewn up about 18". That works great for my lower half. I added grosgrain loops with KAM snaps at the top, in line with my drawcord at the top. That has worked really well for me in cold weather. I get in the hammock and snap the loops in front of my face, then slide it behind my head and cinch the drawcord. Without snapping and cinching I get too many drafts at the top and it tends to flip off of me when I change sides.

I haven't envisioned a pad scenario, so not sure about another set of snaps further down, that certainly hasn't been necessary in a hammock scenario.
    Quick question about the KAM snaps - Do you need the special pliers to put these snaps together, or can you get by with regular pliers or by tapping with a mallet, or some other way?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
    Quick question about the KAM snaps - Do you need the special pliers to put these snaps together, or can you get by with regular pliers or by tapping with a mallet, or some other way?

Thanks!
    I've only tried with the pliers that came with the starter kit that I ordered on eBay.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast