Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock Length/Width

Hey all,

I’m new to backpacking as of the past few months and I went with a hammock setup. Unfortunately the sleeping experience has not been very positive. I’ve spent 6 nights so far on different occasions sleeping in the hammock and I always end up laying in the hammock for hours tossing and turning, unable to find a comfortable position. I’m normally a side/stomach sleeper.

My current hammock is 10.5’ by 58”. I’m 6’2”. Do you think a longer and/or wider hammock would make a difference for me? Has anyone experienced a drastic change in comfort using a longer and/or wider hammock?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ HG 20*UQ
    Search around on this site. There are many way to adjust yourself or your hammock to get a better comfort level. Adding length and width should add comfort for you. I'm 6' 3" and I use a 11' DIY hammock. I you are a DIYer, then try longer and wider. Also, you should be using a ridgeline if you're not. It will help you dial it in.

Go to a group hang in your area and try out as many other hammocks as you can.

Also if you can get post a photo of your hammock hung up without you in it that will help folks diagnose things. Shoot from the side and include the suspension. If you can get someone to shoot a pic with you in the hammock as well, that might be helpful too.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Start by attaching your tree straps up high, as in at least to the top of your head.
    Hang your hammock and drop your straps/whoopies down so that there is a lot of sag in the hammock. If you have a ridge line on the hammock, it should have a pretty sever droop in it.
    Get in and test it. If not comfortable start by raising the hammock end at the foot with the straps/whoopies a little at a time. Still not comfy, raise the head a bit.
    The trick is to keep some sag in the ridge line when the hammock is not occupied. Once you're in the hammock, it should be tighter, but still easy to bend 90*

Here's a pic with the ridge line sag in an unoccupied hammock:

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I've always wondered about that "bend" test. IF it was done with the hammock empty or occupied? It seems like the effort would be different if the person in the hammock was 100 lbs or 200 lbs. If the right sag would be the same, regardless of the weight of the occupant, isn't there a test you can use with the hammock empty?

Are you saying that if I measure the hammock and make my ridge line 83% of that length, and hang the hammock so it is at 30 degrees empty (?), that once in, I should be able to bend the line at 90 degrees with only a little effort?

@dperk I do have a ridgeline. Mine is a few inches longer than the recommended 83%.

@Snr I have been hanging the hammock with a little bit of slack but not that much. The ridgeline is usually pretty tight when I get in. I doubt I could have easily bent the line at 90 degrees.

@sidney Here's a picture, but I don't have one with me in it.

hammock_sm.jpg

Sounds like there are some things I can still experiment with on my current hammock like more sag, ridgeline length, and higher hanging angle. I tend to be skeptical that small adjustments are going to make a big difference but I'm willing to give it a try. I really like the idea of hammock camping, but I haven't been able to like it in practice so far.

I recently bought a warbonnet ridgerunner and have found it to be very comfortable for side sleeping. When I sleep in a gathered end hammock, I tend to sleep in sort of a hybrid back-side position with my clothing stuff sack under my knees for support. While both are comfortable, the WBRR is considerably more so. I'm 6'2 and 205lbs for reference.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex 11ft
    Insulation
    EE 30 deg 950 down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Unfortunately, the answer to this is you have to try a number of different hammocks. I went through the process of looking on this forum and asking questions but everyone is different. I finally figured out what works best for me by making some different hammocks of different lengths and widths. I used adjustable ridgelines and dialed it in. I'm 5'9" and 180 and find that 11 foot x 72inches worked best for me. 11 foot x 60 inches caused too much calf ridge discomfort. I also made a 12 foot x 72 and found it felt almost identical to me as the 11 foot. I have found I like my ridgeline about an inch or two shorter than the recommended 83%.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex 11ft
    Insulation
    EE 30 deg 950 down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    BTW, I also have a ridgerunner. I did not like it because I found it harder to be comfortable on my side compared to a G.E. Hammock. My daughter likes it better, so I still have the WBRR.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambeaux View Post
    @dperk I do have a ridgeline. Mine is a few inches longer than the recommended 83%.

@Snr I have been hanging the hammock with a little bit of slack but not that much. The ridgeline is usually pretty tight when I get in. I doubt I could have easily bent the line at 90 degrees.

@sidney Here's a picture, but I don't have one with me in it.

hammock_sm.jpg

Sounds like there are some things I can still experiment with on my current hammock like more sag, ridgeline length, and higher hanging angle. I tend to be skeptical that small adjustments are going to make a big difference but I'm willing to give it a try. I really like the idea of hammock camping, but I haven't been able to like it in practice so far.
    Pictures can be deceiving, but that looks like less than 30* angles on your hang. My ridge line never looks that tight before I get in the hammock. The fact that you state that your RL is longer than 83% combined with that hang angle could be contributing to some of your discomfort.
    Try more sag. Try a pillow under your knees if you have room in your pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast