Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ENO ProFly XL Sil vs ENO Housefly vs Kelty Noah 12? Which should I get?

Hi Everyone,

I just ordered my 11 ft netless from Dutch and am looking at tarps now... I just ordered a Noah 12 ft tarp for $42 but can get a ENO Super ProXLSil for $56 or a Housefly for $56. The ENO's are almost 10 ounces lighter. Should I cancel my Noah?

Thanks!

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I have a housefly and like it. Not a cottage vender tape but nice at that price.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Pretty good price on the ENO Profly XL Sil. I assume you're not a hiker? It weighs 26 ounces, which is nearly 30% more than the Superfly (19 ounces). That's one thing you can count on from ENO - their stuff will always weigh more than anything on the market.

One thing worth noting is that the Superfly is a true 4-season tarp. It's 11 feet long and 10 feet wide and has doors. The ENO Profly XL Sil is 13' x 9.2' and has no doors. I'm personally partial to doors because, in blowing precipitation, I don't have to worry about "site selection," positioning my tarp against the current winds (which may shift). Site selection can be a highly inexact science when in coastal or mountainous areas, or by bodies of water. I once had to tear down and set up my son's tarp three times by a lake, because the winds kept shifting (and I didn't want to hear his complaining about rain coming in the ends).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am just starting out with camping hammocks and will be a hiker. However, I need to budget my items a little bit right now and figure I would save some money of the tarp and put a little more money on an underquilt.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Well since the options were eno or kelty noah I'd say pick the largest lightest eno and cancell the kelty. Although both companies have some very loyal customers so it's hard to say.

There is sometimes a tendency on the forum here to bash eno products, so it's hard to get a fair opinion on them. I know people who use them, and have read posts on them , and these people are very happy with the eno line. For me on the hammocks the sticking points are price ( to high) and size ( to small ). But at the prices you listed for the tarps i don't think you can go wrong. Sure a superfly is lighter, American made, and has doors, but it is also twice the price. I say get what you can afford, learn what you like and dislike, and save up for what you really want. The kelty offers lots of coverage but it is heavy and can be tricky to set up from what I've read. I don't the specs on the eno flys, but you can probably get almost the same coverage and less weight. And like someone said on your post about the underquilts, you can always resell the tarp and get your money back if you hate it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Doors are good to have but the Housefly's ridgeline is a little small at 10'6" for an 11 foot hammock. You'd only have 8 inches of coverage on each end of your hammock. It's doable but forces a lower pitch closer to the hammock. Between the other two I'd get the Noah 12. It has more tie outs so it has more versatility in set up especially the tie outs that can act as side pull outs. Side pull outs really open up the space underneath and help keep the tarp walls from collapsing inwards in strong winds.

Here's a pic from another thread

And from another thread, its possible to close up shop if necessary

Last edited by Bubba; 06-04-2016 at 01:06.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I don't own a Noah but played with one in a store. Man that thing is heavy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have the Noah 12 and yes its heavy but it is built like a tank (shrugs off falling branches from storms without batting an eyelet), has the ability to close up, lot of tieout options and I've been playing with a pole-mod of sorts. I got it before I got the Vertex hammock (comes with vertex sil-my tarp) and still take it with us. I have no experience with the others.
    I don't bash Eno and I do agree their prices are high but then so is their marketing budget and name recognition. They don't have 'non-profit' in their name. Lol I did sell my Eno hammocks once I discovered Ticket To The Moon. In terms of comfort the TTTM's did it better for less with larger hammocks and a softer material.
    From what I gather Eno has done the unthinkable and listened to its customers and done some homework. The original tarps were more small shade pieces and (if I recall) prone to tearing tie outs. Their new stuff is much better as they learned. No one wants to remember when Honda and Toyota were the disposable cars not so long ago, Eno is evolving much the same.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    From the three choices noah all the way
    Love mine
    Using a superfly these days
    But the noah will always find a place

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    I have an ENO fly cant remember the exact model. I also have a SUperfly. It is lighter, has doors, made in America. I would save your money and buy the Superfly. Especially if you plan to be a hiker. I have never heard anyone say I wish my fly was not so large.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast