Thoughts on thread injector

I'm looking at buying my first sewing machine. I found one on craigslist that is supposed to work well and is inexpensive. It is a kenmore 158.904 and comes in a cabinet. It doesn't have a foot pedal, but instead uses a bar that you push with your knee. Anyone know anything about this machine? Would it be good for a beginner? I haven't sewed anything since home economics class almost 30 years ago. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thoughts on thread injector

That looks a lot like my inherited Singer... And I have the knee switch, too.

It should have cams that you can drop into that flap on the top...?

I don't sew hammocks, but I sew in general.

I was looking for a manual for ya... Couldn't find one quickly. Everyone raves about their 904 in the stuff I was finding online, so you should be pleased with it.
    I hadn't sewn since middle school, and found my old vintage machine a dream to work with. The old heavy ones are much more forgiving of our blunders than the delicate crap they make today. (My daughter has a new one, and have my grandmother's friend/seamstress from the 1940's! No comparison - get the old one!!)

Take it to a good sewing shop and have them clean it and give it a tune up... Every decade or so, it will need new belts and such. Costs $25-50 depending on what they need to do.

It will serve you valiantly for decades to come!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. I may go look at it on Friday. Do you like the knee switch?

I actually like a knee controller better than a foot one. I do a lot of apparel sewing as well as gear sewing and find a knee controller easier to "find" given my long legs (6'2"). The Kenmores from the '60's - early '80's were very serviceable machines and I like that I can work on them myself. Good luck!

John Thomas in NC

Quote Originally Posted by j3T View Post
    I actually like a knee controller better than a foot one. I do a lot of apparel sewing as well as gear sewing and find a knee controller easier to "find" given my long legs (6'2"). The Kenmores from the '60's - early '80's were very serviceable machines and I like that I can work on them myself. Good luck!

John Thomas in NC
    Thanks for your input. I am going back and forth between the machine above and a sears kenmore model 84. Any thoughts? Both are in cabinets

Images
    Check the cabinet on the one with the knee control..one of my Singer's foot controller slides into a bracket at the front of the cabinet and makes it a knee control unit.
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Well, I bought a Kenmore model 84 in a cabinet today. I tried it out, and while I admittedly don't know the first thing about sewing (yet), it seemed to run and stitch very nicely. I paid $15, and as of now, am very happy with my purchase. I have tried looking online, buy can't seem to find a chart which allows me to identify the date mine was manufactured. So, here is the information I have. It says made in Japan and is model number 158.840 and serial number 001441. I'd appreciate any information anyone might have that could help me identify the year. I don't need a manual because it came with the original manual. Sorry for the long post.
    Findoggy

Quote Originally Posted by Findoggy View Post
    Well, I bought a Kenmore model 84 in a cabinet today. I tried it out, and while I admittedly don't know the first thing about sewing (yet), it seemed to run and stitch very nicely. I paid $15, and as of now, am very happy with my purchase. I have tried looking online, buy can't seem to find a chart which allows me to identify the date mine was manufactured. So, here is the information I have. It says made in Japan and is model number 158.840 and serial number 001441. I'd appreciate any information anyone might have that could help me identify the year. I don't need a manual because it came with the original manual. Sorry for the long post.
    Findoggy

• + New Posts