Dutch 11ft. netless hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG top/bot. quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Backpacking and Hammock Camping near Morrison Colorado

Hi, I'm a Mississippi feller heading out west for my first time to do some backpacking and hammock camping in Colorado. I will first be in Morrison, Co. then i will be heading out from there for the backpacking. I am willing to drive a few hours to get to some good places but have no idea where to start looking considering I have no idea what the hammock camping is like out yonder. I would love to do some back country backpacking but will settle for day hikes if I have to, but I wont be getting a hotel room so I have to camp. Also, I will be starting my backpacking/hiking/camping adventure on the 4th of July (not the trail but the date) and need to be heading home on the 6th. I may be wrong but i feel that at this point i may be a little behind on getting a permit if it is required so I may need to look into going somewhere that doesn't require a permit. In this adventure I would love to cross the Continental Divide on foot, do some above treeline hiking, and maybe see one of those awesome lakes backed by snow capped mountains that you always see pictures of in adventure magazines. I am in good shape but have never hiked above 3,000 ft. so that may also be a concern, but I do know when to turn around and head back down so I will give any climb shot... I ain't scared. I would really appreciate any insight that anyone may have towards my finding my epic first time out west backpacking adventure. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think the Aspen/Snowmass Area (about 4 hours from Denver) would fit the bill for you. Independence Pass crosses the Continental Divide, the Maroon Bells (google for images) would do the Lake/Mtn thing, and there is plenty of hiking to do.

I'm headed up the Four Pass Loop (which circles around the Maroon Bells with 4 - 12,500 passes to cross) in July. What time of year are you planning on coming out here?

You'll certainly want to take a day or two to acclimate to this altitude - perfectly healthy people still get altitude sickness if they don't have the right genes - and be prepared to drink lots of water.

A few of the places out here do require a permit - basically a piece of paper you fill out from the start of the trailhead and keep on you through your hike. The Maroon Bells trip I am doing does require a Bear Canister but is about the only place out here that requires it (due to irresponsible day hikers/overnighters who leave food in camp, etc).

Otherwise, the whole front range which will be more accessible to you from Morrison should have plenty of day/overnight hikes available.

Images
    Hwy 285, Kenosha Pass, The Colorado Trail, TH of Seg 6
    Hike West hang any where when you get tired. National Forest back woods camping rules apply. Plenty of snow banks and melting snow for water bring a filter and good stove for melting.
    If you want more hiking after heading West go back to your car and hike East into the Wilderness Area. Colorado Trail seg 5.
    hth you will love it.

Some picts of what to expect:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57637806844283

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Good suggestions already - I'd especially second the 285 recommendations. Pretty much anywhere along the Colorado Trail after Segment 2 or 3 is amazing for hanging (until you get south, at least - still as pretty but trees thin out in some places toward the end - much later on than the recommendations from OutandBack, though - his suggestions are relatively close to Morrison and are wonderful).

While Aspen is amazing, I'd only hesitate to recommend that based on the distance - lots of stuff a good bit closer that's as or nearly as good.

I'd also say you can go up I-70 - check out the myriad alpine lakes - they're amazing features in Colorado - there are so many it's tough to recommend just one but they're one of Colorado's better features and a somewhat unique thing/feel you'll get in the Rocky Mountains. Lots of good places to hike between the Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail. Wheeler Lakes, Chicago Lakes are both places I've been recently and could recommend. Otherwise, nearly any hiking/lakes book for Colorado will give a TON of options.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Southern loop in Indian Peaks Wilderness.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    Wherever you go jhikes remember Colorado is a tourist state and you want to come on a holiday weekend.
    Peeps by the hundreds of thousands will be swarming everywhere that is the least bit touristy.
    In Winter its skiing and in summer its mtn hiking. All campgrounds will be overflowing and over booked on the 4th of July weekend.

The National Forest is your best hope to escape this madness and having a hammock rig makes finding a camp away from the REI crowds much easier.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 06-01-2016 at 14:34.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. netless hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG top/bot. quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    mcallaghan, I've looked at the Four Pass Loop and it looks amazing. I will be there from July 1st till probably the 8th or 9th but will only be able to hike starting on the 4th. Concerts at red rocks on the 2nd and 3rd. Thank all of you for your great suggestions. Maybe i can document this trip and post it in the trip reports.

• + New Posts