Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac848 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. A lot of information to take in and I appreciate that. I have also glanced at HG Cuben Fiber tarps. However, being in the south I think the fact that it provides little to no shade is almost a deal breaker. Which is a shame given the weight savings.
    I've never really understood this desire for shade from a tarp. Laying under a silnylon, silpoly or polyester tarp (no matter the color) is going to be hot as heck in the midday sun. Hanging under a tarp is the last place I'd want to be on a blazing hot day, no matter what the material.

Besides, since you're hanging from trees, the trees themselves usually provide plenty of shade. It's not like a tent that can be placed in the middle of an open field with no shade whatsoever. If, for some reason, you're able to regularly find a place to hang your tarp that has no shade, the tarp is going to rapidly deteriorate from constant exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. I've owned silnylon, polyester and cuben fiber tarps and I don't see any particular difference in comfort hanging under any of them. If it's hot, it's hot, and no amount of shade will change that.

Maybe I'm just not a midday lounger. I've only taken a midday nap a handful of times in the four years I've owned a cuben fiber tarp, and never once did I think, "Gee, I wish I had more shade."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So I had both the SF and a MacCat. I sold the SF, but kept the MacCat. There are reasons for this. As you can tell, many of us have multiple tarps which is why I sold the SF. I will during the summer use the MacCat. In the winter I have others to choose from. What I like about the hex shape is the simplicity. Only four stakes are needed, it's a bit lighter and packs smaller. Im usually not too concerned about getting a little damp if all hell breaks loose. That said, I have had to button down with it on a cold, wet night. It worked fine, but it had to be hung very low to the hammock.

Really a lot depends on your use. What kind of camping do you do? The time of year, location, money, strictly backpacking, car camping, awesome outdoor skills? Trying to figure out what works best for you is very hard, but these answers will help you determine what you need. Try to buy a used one here on HF. It will save a few bucks and it can always be sold for a bit less if taken care of. Post in "Want to Buy" for the tarp you desire. Years past many of us started with Hennessey hammocks which had a postage size tarp. Looking back it was very small and I really would not want to ride out a major storm in it or hang in cold weather. We tend to think of different uses with each tarp.

As for size, an 11' tarp will work with an 11' hammock. Some folks like to go longer, but IMO it does more harm than good. Keep in mind if it rains there is a lot of space to hang out under with a larger tarp. It's all a trade-off in some way. Good luck and have fun!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    the Superfly has come in pretty handy...gives that extra protection when needed...wouldn't go without doors...it's worth it just my opinion.
    turk3

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've never really understood this desire for shade from a tarp. Laying under a silnylon, silpoly or polyester tarp (no matter the color) is going to be hot as heck in the midday sun. Hanging under a tarp is the last place I'd want to be on a blazing hot day, no matter what the material.

Besides, since you're hanging from trees, the trees themselves usually provide plenty of shade. It's not like a tent that can be placed in the middle of an open field with no shade whatsoever. If, for some reason, you're able to regularly find a place to hang your tarp that has no shade, the tarp is going to rapidly deteriorate from constant exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. I've owned silnylon, polyester and cuben fiber tarps and I don't see any particular difference in comfort hanging under any of them. If it's hot, it's hot, and no amount of shade will change that.

Maybe I'm just not a midday lounger. I've only taken a midday nap a handful of times in the four years I've owned a cuben fiber tarp, and never once did I think, "Gee, I wish I had more shade."
    I'm completely opposite of this. Shade is key for me. But I think I somehow "feel" the sun differently than others. I'm always trying to get out of it...it's just uncomfortable, blinding, hot. I don't get it. But my wife can lie on a beach all day. It's not a sunburn thing; it's just annoying to me and impossible to regulate your temp in that intense heat.

All shade for me. I've only been out once where I couldn't camp in the pines, so it was full sun. I set up my Mamajamba and it was a HUGE relief. It was about 65° but felt like 85° in the sun. Under the tarp it was probably back down to 65° but I could feel a little heat "collecting" near the tarp surface, but any breeze canceled that out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm completely opposite of this. Shade is key for me. But I think I somehow "feel" the sun differently than others. I'm always trying to get out of it...it's just uncomfortable, blinding, hot. I don't get it. But my wife can lie on a beach all day. It's not a sunburn thing; it's just annoying to me and impossible to regulate your temp in that intense heat.

All shade for me. I've only been out once where I couldn't camp in the pines, so it was full sun. I set up my Mamajamba and it was a HUGE relief. It was about 65° but felt like 85° in the sun. Under the tarp it was probably back down to 65° but I could feel a little heat "collecting" near the tarp surface, but any breeze canceled that out.
    I'm sort of the same. At the caribbean resorts we've been to in the past my wife loved to just sit in the sun and I needed to be under the umbrella. I don't mind being in the sun for short periods but I like having a place to take a break from it.

I think another thing about cuben fibre is it's transparency. I know some sensitive sleepers that could sleep if the light from a full moon was coming down on them. Also, for sleeping in late, a dark tarp is nice to decrease the amount of light coming through. YMMV.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    : ) this season we were going to be 100% WB products for our two hammock setup but i'm about to pull the trigger on a Kelty Noah's Tarp 20. I'll explain ...

Here is a photo of my wife's WB RR w/13' ridgepole on 7' legs and my WB BB w/12' rp on 5' legs on our two TATO stands:

Now I realize the above looks like a chaotic mess but with the pole mod it was tight as a drum and we had rain one nigh for several hours and there was no rain near the hammocks.

So why the Noah 20? Well I did the math in camp and one N20 will cover us both with nice eves at both ends instead of pitching the two SF. We like to have the TATO stands set up next to each other at night usually head to feet so we can chat and gaze longingly into each other's eyes ; ) We will hang on to the SF's for now, but may simplify and just go w/the N20 if it works out. We never hang the hammocks separate so a single cover (mainly for pine needles/leaves, though the rain did come on unexpectedly and glad we were covered!)

: ) Thom
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I went with a Simply Light Designs Winter Haven 4-Season Tarp that is very similar to the Superfly. I simply clip the doors back when not needed and they are always there in case I need them. It really boils down to the weight and the SLD tarps in Silpoly are very light.
    Yup +1 on that. Great option on a tarp with great coverage. Love mine and Jared is great to deal with.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    Hash browns and bacon strips , I like the way you lick your lips

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I had a similar dilemma as you earlier this year. I initially thought to buy a superfly, but I ended up going with a tadpole tarp from wilderness logic. I live in south louisiana, and the windy gulf storms have not gotten me wet yet! The only scenario I could see the superfly excell for me is if I get stuck in constant rain for hours on end. That way I could have extra room to cook, sit outside, etc.

If protection is a concern, bring some doors for your tarp. You can get a tadpole tarp with door add-ons if you desire.
    Last edited by Dlrocm; 06-05-2016 at 08:50.

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    SLD Simp. Asym.
    Insulation
    EE Rev / Revolt
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Whoopi
    Being in Arizona, my tarp gets used for shade way more than rain. Last time I didn't set up the fly at night, but needed it for the sun later the next day.

In the past few years I've gone on some huge camp outs with my church, and father and sons campouts, with over a hundred people. I bring earplugs (kids up late playing capture the flag, young kids up early crying) and more recently an eye mask so I can sleep in as late as I like.

Just mentioning it because they don't weigh much at all, and if you've ended up with a semi-transparent tarp, it's worth at least considering.
    Last edited by Dusey; 06-07-2016 at 17:19.

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    You live in the South. Get a good tarp. Bama hanger here and my biggest mistake was not getting a good tarp from the get go. My first night out, I got one of our infamous windy thunderstorms while under a $5 tarp. Not cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast