Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

looking at a new sparrow

I am thinking about buying a new hammock, and the sparrow is looking pretty appealing right now. I do have a few questions that I am hoping to get some advice on before I put in an order however.

I love the idea of a removable bug net and cover. I am using a bug sock right now, and it works fine, but a bug sock is a lot of extra fabric to carry around since I don't use it 100% of the time. My concern is the zipper. Do you feel like the zipper gets in your way if the bug net is not installed? Does it annoy you, or do you not notice it on the edge of the hammock?

My second question is about the fabrics. I am leaning towards a single layer 1.6 hyperD XL, but the 1.0 ROBIX XL looks pretty nice also. I am 6'2 230lbs, so I think either would be strong enough to hold me. Does anyone have any opinion on how these two feel? I would like a softer feel, but that isn't my main concern. Strength and low weight are a bit more important to me. I have never had a double layer just to avoid the added weight.

What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated.

I have the DangerBird. As far as the zipper when cover is not delpoyed. Never ever notice it.
    Robic vs HyperD? I have some DIY of each. Like the feel of each. The Robic has more stretch than the HyperD. Personally I do not like that much stretch, but that is just me. I'm 5'9/200lbs.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I have a Thunderbird with the removeable top cover and removeable bug netting and i really don't even notice the zipper when either one of them is off.
    I did some testing of the sparrow before they came out and that was one of the things my wife was concerned about as well being that she has very long hair , and wanted to know if getting snagged on it would be an issue but it was not.
    You Can send Papa Smurf a pm and he can explain how it is sewn in so that this kinda thing is not an issue,, he can explain it better than me and he is allways willing to take the time to help out with any and all questions anyone may have. His customer service is second to none.
    I am also a very heavy guy,,, over the 400 lb mark right now and i went with the Hyper d 1.6 fabric and was amazed on how smooth and soft this fabric is ,being as strong as it is !!
    I hope this helps you out ,, the Sparrow is a beautiful hammock and you really cannot go wrong with a Dream hammock,, i love mine !!
    Last edited by Yukon; 05-30-2016 at 18:13.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Thanks for the advice. It is very helpful! This community is great. Sounds like the zipper is a non issue. I think that the 1.6 hyper d xl is the way to go. I have heard some great things about this hammock so I think it's time to pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    10' 1.0 dh darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incu-Sniv-Pepper
    Suspension
    All of 'em
    I second Zilla, The Smurfs customer service is incredible, as busy as they are, they always make time to answer any concerns, thoroughly.

I have a Freebird in Robic and HyperD. The Robic is 10ftx62" and the HyperD is a standard 11ft. So not exactly apples to apples, but the HyperD feel is just incredible to me. The nicest material I have laid in. But I have no complaints on the Robic either. It just doesn't have that same sweetness. For me, I am counting grams at this point, well my back, knees and hips are doing the counting. I am really happy with the robic.

I also have a Robic Dangerbird. Not exactly a Sparrow, but unzipping the net I can get a pretty good comparison against the freebird. While laying in the two, I really didn't notice any difference in feel. The zippers are very smooth, and didn't bother me when I ran my arm down them. The only time I really noticed a difference was sitting on the edge. The freebird definitely had a little more give and a nicer feel to me. If you never sit this way, its a non issue. I like to sit this way, so it does make a difference.

Hope this and I am sure you will enjoy whatever you go with, they are all great choices in my book.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    i have a sparrow made of 2.2 hex outer and 1.6 Hyper D XL inner. the Hyper D will hold your weight, no problem there. maybe a robic xl outer and 1.6 inner? it'll hold a small car. lol ok maybe 400 pounds or more at least. as for the zipper, i never notice it's there without a net or cover on. I've never had it rub my arm or leg or anything. even sitting on the edge, it's not noticeable. as for the feel, the 1.6 feels like silk. it's soft and smooth. i really like sleeping on it. the sparrow is an awesome hammock and you'll really appreciate those zippers meeting in the middle. especially on a midnight nature run. i've been tossing the idea around of getting a robi outer with 1.6 inner myself. it'll cut weight down and have a really high comfort level/weight limit.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Msc
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetles
    I am very interested in this thread as I have a sl sparrow in robic on order. Weight is important to me but so is the comfort/support because I have a bad back. Now I'm starting to wonder if single layer robic might not give me the support that I want? Should i have gone 1.6? I'm 175 Lbs.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravitythief76 View Post
    I am very interested in this thread as I have a sl sparrow in robic on order. Weight is important to me but so is the comfort/support because I have a bad back. Now I'm starting to wonder if single layer robic might not give me the support that I want? Should i have gone 1.6? I'm 175 Lbs.
    It's all personal opinion but if it were me i would go with single layer in the 1.6 Hyper D, very comfortable and very strong.
    Last edited by Yukon; 05-30-2016 at 18:14.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Recently received an 11' Sparrow in 2.2 hex 70 with an Orioles theme;

http://www.dream-hammock.com/order_d...tml?order=3398

I chose the hex70 fabric because I'm conservative as well as cheap. I want to make sure I don't inadvertently overload the fabric to the point of failure. I also didn't want to spend the additional funds for double layer.

LOVE this hammock! Most of my hammock camping over the past several years had been with the Warbonnet Blackbird. Both are excellent hammocks. The additional length of the Sparrow makes a difference that is noticeable for me. The construction of the Sparrow is top notch. The service is even better. These are excellent products made by terrific people who work really hard to ensure that you are happy with their products.

Bruce

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I have a new DL Sparrow with the net and solid cover. I have had both off and don't even notice the zipper. Thought I would for sure. Also thought it would stretch and break when I sat on the edge. It doesn't. The only thing I have noticed is it can be hard to zip when inside. Took much pull between the new and hammock. This is probably my inexperience with it as I have only been in it a few times and I have never heard someone else complain about it. Over all very comfortable.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast