Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images

short buries?

I only just noticed that the constriction bury on the whoopies that came with my WBBB were 5" long, which would have started as a section about 6.5" pre-splice. While that seems short, it didn't fail me for 60+ nights last year. The bury on the brummel was 4".

Looking at the ENO Helios whoopie, the constriction bury is about 3.5" and the bury on the brummel is about 2.5"

My diy whoopies have a 8-9" pre-splice constriction bury and a 2" bury on the brummel.

It seems we can get away with some pretty short buries on both ends of the whoopie.

Interesting, but I don't know what it all means. It seems a bit pointless to have a short whoopie for a short hang, when the limiting factor may be an 11' long tarp.
    Last edited by kayak4water; 05-29-2016 at 00:03.

When making my ucr's i went with 10 inch burys before splicing. Gave me about 8 inches of constriction which was enough for my whoopies, but lowered me gently to the ground. Remeasured 12 inches and is holding great thus far. Granted im 350 so smaller fellows can get away with shorter burys. Whoopies also pull both ways and put more force onto the bury so you can push the limits further. With the locked brummel the bury doesnt have to be as long but sampson's recommendation is about 6 inches for 7/64. I use 4 myself, but always try to hang correctly due to my size.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak4water View Post
    I only just noticed that the constriction bury on the whoopies that came with my WBBB were 5" long, which would have started as a section about 6.5" pre-splice. While that seems short, it didn't fail me for 60+ nights last year. The bury on the brummel was 4".

Looking at the ENO Helios whoopie, the constriction bury is about 3.5" and the bury on the brummel is about 2.5"

My diy whoopies have a 8-9" pre-splice constriction bury and a 2" bury on the brummel.

It seems we can get away with some pretty short buries on both ends of the whoopie.

Interesting, but I don't know what it all means. It seems a bit pointless to have a short whoopie for a short hang, when the limiting factor may be an 11' long tarp.
    I make fairly standard whoopies. If I do need a shorter hang I just Beckett Hitch my tree strap straight to the hammock on the foot end, leaving one whoopie out of the equation. As you mentioned, much shorter than that and you have tarp issues. Much is made out of "minimum hang" but there's a diminishing return effect going too far in either direction.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I think that for a locked eye like at the end of a whoopie, a long bury isn't necessary. It has to be long enough so that the weave remains intact at the place where the crosses are. I don't think that there's any force on the bury itself. It's different for the endless loop, unless you splice it similar to the fixed eye. Warbonnet does that for the cinch buckle loops. If the splice is not locked, the bury essentially is the only thing keeping the loop together.

• + New Posts