Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    A double fishermans loop wont hold with amsteel though, too slippery. I overlap my tapers and i utilize only 3" of bury to get my tiny CLs, works great for me. I make every other one that way, actually; one the DHWH can snap onto and one that ends up far too fat for the dutch bling.
    I'm sure the double would slip, I've tied them with 1/8" Amsteel although it was a triple. Never slipped and I put a lot of load on it to test it. I'll try you're idea though but will test it first !
    Clarke Vertex with Z liners, Hammeck Envy S with Incubator 20*
    Custom Dutch Hammock 12' x 6' Double Hyper D ! My current daily sleep system !
    Custom SLD Tree Runner Double Hexon 12' x 6' Loco Libre 20* set
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    If you got a triple fishermans on 1/8 to hold somehwhere in your hammock suspension, i salute you!! Super brave!! I havnt actually ATTEMPTED any knots like that, but the stuff i did try led me to believe that splicing is the way, the truth, and the light. Zing-it, dynaglide, spectra, and muletape (being used to for pulling fiber optic canling) have all failed to hold really good knots (half hitches!!) so i gave up on that path all together.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    A few years ago I made 8inch continuous loops using the Grogg Splice as shown in knot app Grogg Knots. I used them for two years and they worked great.
    Then I read a post on Hammock Forums that said some were splicing all wrong. So I smirked and said to myself--they must be stupid to splice incorrectly. So I made new continuous loops when I realized that I might be splicing wrong! On the Grogg Splice after locked brummel the buries do not cross over but instead get buried back into themselves. So I made new loops that after locked brummel the buries cross one another and get buried into the other side.
    The last way I made splices was not as neat as the Grogg Splice.
    But both ways work and there are other ways that work too-- no locked brummel or some sort of false brummel that does not really lock.
    I hung for two years using Grogg Splice continuous loops and they worked great. I think I was hanging on locked brummels and although I used a 5 or 6 inch bury. I really think I could just as well hung on locked brummels with an inch or two bury. Because I think the locked brummel holds most if not all my weight. So I think you can make small continuous loops with locked brummel and short buries with no worries in ordinary hammocking. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    If you got a triple fishermans on 1/8 to hold somehwhere in your hammock suspension, i salute you!! Super brave!! I havnt actually ATTEMPTED any knots like that, but the stuff i did try led me to believe that splicing is the way, the truth, and the light. Zing-it, dynaglide, spectra, and muletape (being used to for pulling fiber optic canling) have all failed to hold really good knots (half hitches!!) so i gave up on that path all together.
    The 1/8" is stronger than the 7/64" that is commonly used for Whoopie slings and continuous loops.
    http://samsonrope.com/Pages/Product.aspx?ProductID=872
    I tested the loop against a engine hoist vs a 4x4 . I put a heck of a lot of pressure on it and it didn't break. I stopped because I was getting worried about something coming apart, not so much the loop! The knot will slip a bit at first, but once you put a good load on it, it will lock down and you'll probably never get it untied. I'm not recommending anyone else hang with it, but I'm confident in it. Heck, the double fisherman's knot is what tree climbers use to make their Purssick loops which they trust their lives too, although that's not slippery amsteel.

As always, only hang as high as you're willing to fall !
    J
    Clarke Vertex with Z liners, Hammeck Envy S with Incubator 20*
    Custom Dutch Hammock 12' x 6' Double Hyper D ! My current daily sleep system !
    Custom SLD Tree Runner Double Hexon 12' x 6' Loco Libre 20* set
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123