Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kiddo is going to summer camp. Hammock under bunk bed?

Kiddos going to summer camp for two weeks, wondering the thoughts in hanging a GT single for an 85lb kid. I think it's around 8.5' has two continuos loops on it. I know the forces wouldn't work for myself but a kiddo? Any thoughts?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    I imagine these are wooden bunks? If you hang it corner to corner it should be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    I imagine these are wooden bunks? If you hang it corner to corner it should be just fine.

Thanks, now I just have to get creative in hanging it

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains

Here's a thought on hanging it.....you'll need two lengths of weight rated rope/cordage (GT used to sell their hammocks with some great cordage) and two weight rated carabiners.

Fold a length of rope in half and then connect it through/around the the junction of the above bunk and corner post. Now, tie an over hand knot in the two tag ends as close to the junction as possible (note, you are not tying one to the other, but treating the two tag ends as one and putting a knot in them together) . Repeat on the opposite corner.

Connect the continuous loops to the cordage by running the carabiner through the loop and then between the two "legs" of cordage above the knot you tied in it.

If you do need to do any minor adjustments, just untie the overhand knot and retie higher or lower and reconnect.

If this makes no sense at all, let me know. I will rig up an example and send a photo.

Hammock
    Yukon XL
    Tarp
    Yukon tarp or Noah
    I wouldn't do it. I know that at our scout camp it is not allowed. Most bunks are not designed for a lateral live load. You would be risking injury and property damage.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Depends on the bunks and you'll have to determine that for yourself. The camp my kids go to? You could suspend an elephant from the bunks. They are 4x4 corners but have plywood under the mattresses. Corner to corner suspended from the posts near the upper plywood...I would have no concern of failure. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    I wouldn't do it. I know that at our scout camp it is not allowed. Most bunks are not designed for a lateral live load. You would be risking injury and property damage.
    I agree with that, assuming the camp even allows it. No way I'd let my daughter hang underneath a top bunk, and what I know of her particular summer camp I can't see the diagonal between the bed posts being near wide enough, anyway. She'll be taking a hammock, but for hanging outside her cabin during the day.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Depends on the bunks and you'll have to determine that for yourself. The camp my kids go to? You could suspend an elephant from the bunks. They are 4x4 corners but have plywood under the mattresses. Corner to corner suspended from the posts near the upper plywood...I would have no concern of failure. YMMV.
    I can't help but wonder if your kids go to the same camp I went to, over 30 years ago. You're even in the right part of the country... It wouldn't happen to be a Lutheran camp, would it?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains

Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    I can't help but wonder if your kids go to the same camp I went to, over 30 years ago. You're even in the right part of the country... It wouldn't happen to be a Lutheran camp, would it?
    Funny! Small world. I actually went to that Lutheran camp over 30 years ago. My kids go to the Christian camp just up the road from the Lutheran one.

Oh and it gets smaller....the company for which I work has an office in Raleigh (and Charlotte, Kernersville and Moncure).

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Funny! Small world. I actually went to that Lutheran camp over 30 years ago. My kids go to the Christian camp just up the road from the Lutheran one.
    Do the two camps have the same style bunk-beds? That's what I was initially thinking of when I first saw this thread. With the 4x4 posts and generous headroom, it's probably possible to hang a hammock. Though I doubt even the space of a twin-bed would allow for enough length for a comfortable hang for almost anyone old enough to go to camp. (And of course leaving out that I can't imagine any camp director would go along with the idea.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast