Hammock
    Amok Dramur 2.0
    Tarp
    Amok Dramur 2.0
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Air Core

Amok hammock as a bivvy

Quick question... On my upcoming hike there is one night I have to stay in a designated campground at a state forest. The ranger I spoke to on the phone says he doesn't think I'll be able to hammock there. It strikes me that I could rig a ridge line with paracord and trekking poles and attach the Amok hammock bug net to the ridge line and create a bivvy. Anyone tried that? Suggestions?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I have no experience with the Amok. That said, It seems IMO a colossal waste to take such a fine and expensive piece of equipment specifically designed to make your hanging experience more comfortable (luxurious!) And use it for something that it was NOT designed to do. You are risking damage to the fabric on the underside at the very least. If I knew going in I couldn't hang, I'd just take a cheap t**t along and suffer on the ground. Just one man's opinion! HYOH (or not as the case may be)

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    yep. did it twice. i take the footprint from my old tent and put that down for an extra layer of protection. i have adjustable trekking poles. i use those by putting the tip through the cinch buckle to prop up the sides, then a piece of zing-it with a loop on one end around the pole and stake it out. attach the bug net. the 2015 model 3.0 has a loop at the zipper near the foot box, use that to tie a guy line for more space. use the head adjustment shock cord and guy that out as well. it's not perfect, but it'll get you through a night. if you drape your tarp over it, be careful of the tips of your trekking poles, as they can rip your tarp. cover them with socks or something. i've never taken pics with it like this. if i get a chance, i'll go out back today and set it up, take some pics and post here.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    ok, so i went out back and set it all up real quick to take some pictures and decided it would be easier to explain it in a video. something i forgot to mention is my trekking poles are adjustable. a fixed length pole will require some added fiddling to get an angle that'll work. you can also use sticks i would imagine as long as they're sturdy enough. anyway, here's the video ( please excuse the quality as i did it on my phone kinda spur of the moment)
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

I haven't tried it, but it seems it would make sense to pitch your tarp first, nice and taut, with your pole tips sticking up through the ridgeline tie-out loops and the four corners staked out. Then put the hammock in place underneath, and run its tree straps (or in my case, whoopies) up to the pole-tips (i.e. just below the carbide tips) and tie them, thus opening the hammock wide. Then run some zing-it from pole-tip to pole-tip underneath the tarp ridgeline, to give your bugnet something to clip onto. Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

P.S. --Or if you tie you tree straps out taut enough, your hammock ridgeline will be plenty taut for clipping up your bugnet, just as it is when you're tree-hanging, and you won't need the zing-it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paskit View Post
    I haven't tried it, but it seems it would make sense to pitch your tarp first, nice and taut, with your pole tips sticking up through the ridgeline tie-out loops and the four corners staked out. Then put the hammock in place underneath, and run its tree straps (or in my case, whoopies) up to the pole-tips (i.e. just below the carbide tips) and tie them, thus opening the hammock wide. Then run some zing-it from pole-tip to pole-tip underneath the tarp ridgeline, to give your bugnet something to clip onto. Does this make sense, or am I missing something?
    that would work! i just looked at the tarp and it has gromets on webbing as well as cords and line locks. use the gromets to secure the tarp on the poles and go from there. i have time off next week. i think i'll try that. 20160526_143233_zpszene1svp.jpg
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    cheap-o Chi right now
    Tarp
    Re-claimed junk.
    Insulation
    synthetic
    Suspension
    spectra + seatbelt
    Depends on your definition of a bivy. But yea, any tarp / hammock setup can be used in that fashion.
    Mickey Mouse is a false prophet.
    Reno Original Marauder

• + New Posts