Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies

How do you get in?..

How do you get in your hammock? I have always sat on the edge, laid back and then brought my feet in. this puts my head away from my entrance side. I don't know why, it's just how I did it.

in their Hammocks 101 section, Warbonnet says you should lay so "your shoulder is close to the entrance edge and your feet are close to the opposite edge".

what is your preferred way?..

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Not familiar with the Warbonnet site but it sounds like the standard description of how to lie on the diagonal. Head to one side, feet to the other.

To answer your question, I grab the close edge of the hammock in one hand, and that far edge in the other. Then I spread the hammock open and stick my butt in first. Learned the importance of this when I first tried an underquilt. The UQ kept the material "squeezed" together and I sat "over" the hammock and onto the ground. After doing that a couple times (once getting caught in the bottom of my bugnet) I decided to slow down and make sure I'm on target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    The warbonnet (blackbird at least) has a dedicated "foot box" area that by default requires a head left, feet right sort of lay.

*edit* I didn't realize you meant how do you get into hammocks in general. I thought you were asking specifically how do you get into a warbonnet hammock. The description you quoted from the warbonnet site is referring to how you lay in one of their blackbirds.
    Last edited by Kroma; 05-25-2016 at 20:03.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I prefer Circus Style......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I prefer Circus Style......
    Shug

sorry, I don't have a coat like that so I can't do the ladder one. and I don't have a unicycle, so...

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    Not familiar with the Warbonnet site but it sounds like the standard description of how to lie on the diagonal. Head to one side, feet to the other.

To answer your question, I grab the close edge of the hammock in one hand, and that far edge in the other. Then I spread the hammock open and stick my butt in first. Learned the importance of this when I first tried an underquilt. The UQ kept the material "squeezed" together and I sat "over" the hammock and onto the ground. After doing that a couple times (once getting caught in the bottom of my bugnet) I decided to slow down and make sure I'm on target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yeah, yeah, I get that, but watch Shug's video and he sits down and lays back across the centerline, feet on the entrance side. that's how I do it...

I'm not hung up on Warbonnet, I just happened to read in their Hammock 101 that "your shoulder is close to the entrance edge and your feet are close to the opposite edge". maybe it's a BB thing but they list the Traveler with this and it doesn't have the footbox, etc. like the BB and XLC

if I understand that correctly, that requires you to swing your feet up and over to the opposite side of the hammock. that's backwards from what I do so I asked -

does anyone else sleep with their head near the entrance edge and feet on the opposite?..

Hammock
    DIY/Blackbird XLC (soon)
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    HammockGear/Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well that depends on if you lay to the right or left, and which side of the hammock you get in, but personally, I sit down and swing my feet across the centerline to the opposite side of the hammock. So yes, backwards of what you do. I guess that just feels more natural to me. I don't have a BB either, so no need to worry about the footbox or anything.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty 11', 1.6 SL Hexon
    Tarp
    11' UGQ Hanger
    Insulation
    LL habanero 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I do the weird thing where I get in on the side where I lay my head (ie the left). This causes my head to be on the right side when I first get in, so I end up having to spin on my butt a little to get my head back to the left, and my feet to the right. I've tried getting in on the right so I can just lay back with my head on the left, but it just doesn't feel right to do it that way.

Hammock
    COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling
    I'm like many here already. I usually spread the hammock open and sit in the middle of it. I then lay with my head to the side I sit from and swing my feet over to the right. To get situated in the hammock itself I will grab a handful of ripstop and slide myself in either direction to get me feet a little elevated.

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryosion View Post
    Well that depends on if you lay to the right or left, and which side of the hammock you get in, but personally, I sit down and swing my feet across the centerline to the opposite side of the hammock. So yes, backwards of what you do. I guess that just feels more natural to me. I don't have a BB either, so no need to worry about the footbox or anything.
    yeah, I guess that's the best way to describe it - you lay your head close to the front edge and swing your feet over. that's what I'm asking about...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast