WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Terra Nova
    Insulation
    Graylock3
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Just finished my first eight day hike!

I went out solo on the Nipmuck Trail here in CT for eight days. It was wonderful. I only saw a couple of people; one guy walking his three pygmy goats. They are very cute but don't like water or bridges. He had to practically carry each one over the bridge.
    I really have to thank Shug for getting me out there. I am one of those crazy people that binged watched all your videos. I just turned 61 and a year ago I would never have dreamed I would be hiking and hanging. My late husband would think I'm crazy.
    I found the food for eight days is really the heaviest part of the pack. I am going to see if I can make more of my own dehydrated meals to lower the weight. Any ideas? Found a great lightweight high calorie snack called Nutty Crunchers that can be bought on line.
    I can hardly wait to go out again! Again, THANK YOU, SHUG! (and to think I used to be terrified of clowns)

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Wow EIGHT DAYS! That's Awesome! I wish I could get out for an extended trip like that. My wife and I are planning our first "more than one night" trip, a three day two night hike on the AT.

We dehydrate some of our own food, so far we've done spaghetti and chili. Not sure about the weight savings but it tastes better!

Good luck in your future endeavors!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooooooo Buddy....or Betty)))))))
    That is right good you got out and for a an extended time. Takes a certain breed to spend that kinda time with one's self.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I only wish I had the time to get 3 or 4 days in the woods but hey at least I'm employed Hopefully the health will hold out for the long trips when the time comes.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Sweet! Trying to engineer a long trip for myself as well, it's hard to do when money's tight and you have to work like crazy to keep it rolling in

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm totally jealous. I can't afford to take that much time away from work, so in the meantime, I'm just a weekend warrior. Someday when I'm retired hopefully I'll be able to disappear into the woods for weeks at a time.

Hammock
    10.5" DIY 1.0 HyperD Lime Green
    Tarp
    DIY 11'4
    Insulation
    DIY 850 up/under
    Suspension
    Dutch bling Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Listener View Post
    I went out solo on the Nipmuck Trail here in CT for eight days. It was wonderful. I only saw a couple of people; one guy walking his three pygmy goats. They are very cute but don't like water or bridges. He had to practically carry each one over the bridge.
    I really have to thank Shug for getting me out there. I am one of those crazy people that binged watched all your videos. I just turned 61 and a year ago I would never have dreamed I would be hiking and hanging. My late husband would think I'm crazy.
    I found the food for eight days is really the heaviest part of the pack. I am going to see if I can make more of my own dehydrated meals to lower the weight. Any ideas? Found a great lightweight high calorie snack called Nutty Crunchers that can be bought on line.
    I can hardly wait to go out again! Again, THANK YOU, SHUG! (and to think I used to be terrified of clowns)
    Awesome!! Really happy for you.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Wow! That's great!

Probably your best bet would be to dehydrate your own meals. I've not managed to pick up a food dehydrator yet, so I haven't been able to do that yet, myself, but it's in my future plans. Meanwhile, I've been branching out from the standard pre-packaged hiker meals. Having to eliminate gluten, there aren't that many varieties left for me to choose from...and it's expensive eating a hiker meal every meal...and the portions are too big...and they are so heavily seasoned that they start tasting too rich after the first meal or two. So, what I've been doing lately is trying out powdered soup mixes that only require water or milk to make. I love Bear Crrek's Cream of Wild Rice soup and another brand's Chipolte Potato soup. I pour all the mix in a big bowl and stir it up good. If milk is required, I add in the correct amount of powdered milk and mix it well, then divide the powdery mix into four separate bags. That way I can just add one bag into my pot of two cups of boiling water, simmer it awhile and have one of my favorite meals! And that costs less than a dollar per meal!

If you do try dehydrating your own meals, I hear there are some bags you can pour your boiling water in to to rehydrate your meals and later eat from like a bowl. They stand up and have rounded edges in the bottom instead of corners. You get them on one of Dutch's sites and I think somebody here said they are 60 cents apiece and reusable.

Anyway, I think it's absolutely awesome that you have the sense of adventure to try solo hiking for that many days at a time. That is so cool!

And don't feel badly about binge watching Shug. We ALL do that!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 06-26-2016 at 22:06.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Wow, impressed. We used to camp 6 nights/7 days when the boys were little, out of a 20' camper! Granted it wasn't a campground but nothing compared to your achievement

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Terra Nova
    Insulation
    Graylock3
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks so much for your kind words.
    There are some really delicious gluten free things you can use. Wild rice, quinoa are a couple of my favorites. I also make my own pasta using coconut flour. I did make some meals that I took with me. I took wild rice, dry 13 bean soup, Italian sausage, kale, spices, chicken broth, water put it all in a crock pot and let it slow cook for a day. It came out a bit thicker than chili which was great. Laid it out on dehydrator trays in serving portions and vacuum sealed when dry.
    I did save a couple of those bags from prepared meals to reuse. Ran them through the dishwasher, just like new.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast