Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    I would make my sleep system cheap. A blue ccf pad (optional), a polycro tarp and the cheapest fleece blanket or bed quilt depending on the forecast. I mean it's only one night, I've spent that sitting out before while trapping in Indiana, where I grew up (similar geo) with just a hunting coat and layers underneath. I'd spend the rest on my cook kit and a big steak, potato, six pack and some ridiculously good desert to make them envious. Throw everything in your blanket or quilt to make a bag to sling over your shoulder.
    Bill

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    This sounds like fun. Reminds me of a weekend scouting trip where everything we brought had to fit in a brown paper bag. Yes, bags used to be made from paper. That included food and everything. Easier now that I'm an adult and have all kinds of cool gear, but man it was hard back then.

Walmart has had Heet on sale cheap.

Let's us know how it turns outs.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Here's how I would approach it. Pretty minimal, but $50 only goes so far. I'm tempted to go and buy all this stuff and try it out.

Sleep System
    -----------------------------------
    $6 - 4yds polyester fabric (For making a gathered end hammock)

$3.50 - Paracord (Suspension, ridgeline, tarp tie-outs, and misc cordage)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultimate-S...range/34609132

$3.10 - 6x8 Tarp (Weather Protection and a sherpa style gear roll since I don't have a backpack)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rip-Stop-T...-Duty/40464922

$7.85 - Packlite Sleeping Mat 19" x 50" (Hammock Insulation bottom, sit pad)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Packlite-B...x-3-8/33699625

11.92 (2*5.96) - Fleece Blanket (Hammock Insulation top)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...eetah/29131595

Kitchen
    -----------------------------------
    $4.11 - Sheffield 2.75" Black Serrated Folding Knife
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sheffield-...Knife/38205457

$3.33 - Denatured Alcohol (Fuel for Alcohol Stove. Will look in trash can outside the store for an aluminum can to make a stove. )
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/SUNNYSIDE-...1-qt./40891753

$3.82 - Paint Can, 1 qt., Round (Water and Cooking)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/POLAR-TECH...ilver/40761706

Total: $43.63 with $6.37 left over for food or other extras. Luckily the government decided that if you're doing this challenge you don't have to pay sales tax.

Good luck, Brian
    Nice list, thank you! Looks about in line with what I've been coming up with. Although I had a small tub of Vaseline rather than the alcohol - makes for super easy fire starting and cheaper. But, I'll have to cook over the fire then and not on a stove, but that's not an issue to me. Also, I'm thinking about choosing an Ozark Multi Tool over the knives they have because they're cheaper and have more utility.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies guys, some really good ideas here! I'm getting more and more inspired. I'll definitely revive the thread once we've completed the challenge and let you know what everyone did.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Can you break down the cost of items, as in buying a $5.00 item and only using part of it? Can you purchase stuff and prep it for the trip? Or stuff you can collect for free, like shopping bags.

Trash bags, shopping bags- Filled with leaf litter, they have been used for years as effective Garlington Insulators. Past posts have shown them used as underquilts. Plus you can store water, make shelters, rain poncho, backpack, etc. Prepped right, the bags can be cut into thin strips and weaved/braided to make strong rope. Or weaved to make a insulating mat.

King size sheet- Instant hammock. Small, but doable. Treat gently to avoid ripping.
    Duct Tape- The Mythbusters did a great episode on tape used as shelter, hammock, clothing. They had lots of duct tape.

Bleach- As a purifier, you only need a few drops to treat a gallon of water.

50' Braided polyester rope- Split the strands and have lots of cordage, guylines, etc. I have also used the hollow braid 215# rating as suspension in the past. Since it is hollow core, you can even make whoopies out of it. But whoopies use up a good quantity of rope.

Stainless steel water bottle as a cookpot. And fill with hot water to keep you warm at night. FWIW, any plastic water bottle can be used to keep you warm.

Plastic sheeting- Many have made functional tarps.
    Plastic trash bags or sheeting is an excellent fire starter, in a emergency situation.
    Small lighter.
    Razor knife.
    Aluminum foil - AKA Hobo meals. Properly folded, it can be fashioned into bowls or drink cups.

Free things like salt, pepper, hot sauce, ketchup, coffee creamer, butter packets from the gas station or restaurant (can you use the free stuff?) will all add to your kit.

Scratch and dent- Check the returned goods dept. for any items that may possibly be purchased on the extreme discount. Maybe someone returned a sleeping bag with a bad zipper or stitching? Or a tent with a broken pole?

There was a video somewhere on a guy who fashioned a hammock and top cover from a simple tarp. He gathered a section as the hammock and folded the rest over the top. Probably not ideal in a storm, but for this project, totally doable.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I think I would start out something like this
    Olive Drab Super Hammock, Small and Light Yet Holds a Ton $21.99 Was $29.99 Save $8.00

Mainstays 50" x 60" Microplush Throw $5.96

Rip Stop Tarp, 8' x 10', Brown, Standard Duty $4.97

MAT FLOATING ASSORTED 27X72 IN $2.11

still plenty for a knife, lighter and food. total so far $35.03 before tax

worst comes to worst you have a pad and a tarp for go to ground, and a float for water crossings and a net to fish with.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Monster
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Customs
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Love the idea.... Hate the Walmart
    I would go to a local hardware store and a minute mart to do a task like this. It may cut down on what you can find but I'm guessing this a to test skills for post-apocalyptic, it will give more of a real world fell to it and also depending on the hardware store help out a local business.

I would suggest that the top priority is to regulate your core body temperature.

You should have already addressed your microclimate needs as you mentioned you are able to wear clothing of your choice.

I would then suggest your priorities are:

A. Shelter
    B. Fire
    C. Water

For one night, this is all you need to be comfortable.

A. Shelter

a. The hammock idea requires too many financial and physical resources for my liking
    b. My top choice is a sizable tarp (8x10 or 10x10) and Contractor-grade Trashbags for a bivy sack/ground cloth. Also, the trash bags can be stuffed full of leaves and debris for a ground pad or even as insulation as a sleeping bag. No need for expensive paracord here – grab some masonry line or anything of the sort. An alternative is to grap a poncho. Google "poncho shelter" for tons of options.
    c. Various tarp configurations can be used for weather protection to include wind, snow or rain. Also, a tarp can be utilized to take advantage of natural materials such as a blow down or timber supports
    d. Basic sleeping pad if needed

B. Fire
    a. A small fire “under” a suspended tarp provides an incredible amount of warmth.
    b. Also, there are many lean-to or reflector style tarp configurations to take advantage of the fire. For a cold environ, google “tarp super shelter” and pick up some painter plastic tarps
    c. Tools: Ferro Rod (check out the various Bear Grylls gear), Cotton Balls (tinder), cheap hand saw, and cheap hatchet (or cheap machete for splitting kindling using the baton method – again, check out the BG line of goods)

C. Water
    a. You need to be able to transport and treat (boil) water. Thus the fire section above.
    b. I’ve seen GSI cookset imitations at Walmart for cheap. Check out the Stanley stuff too. Or, just grab something from the kitchen section (stainless, with lid, no double wall)

Depending on how much you spend on cutting tools (even these, not entirely necessary for fire - they can make firewood collection easier), you should have plenty left over for some comfort items such as food, a flashlight, snack bars, a lower-shelf bourbon….

Always think first about what you really need to be comfortable for one night. Heck, if you could start a fire, that is all you really need in most environments.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Agreed, going for a hammock adds more complexity and a tarp setup is much easier... but you get style points for pulling off a hammock. It's hammockforums, you gotta go for the hammock. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex fly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Polystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by outsidezion View Post
    I would suggest that the top priority is to regulate your core body temperature.

You should have already addressed your microclimate needs as you mentioned you are able to wear clothing of your choice.

I would then suggest your priorities are:

A. Shelter
    B. Fire
    C. Water

For one night, this is all you need to be comfortable.

A. Shelter

a. The hammock idea requires too many financial and physical resources for my liking
    b. My top choice is a sizable tarp (8x10 or 10x10) and Contractor-grade Trashbags for a bivy sack/ground cloth. Also, the trash bags can be stuffed full of leaves and debris for a ground pad or even as insulation as a sleeping bag. No need for expensive paracord here – grab some masonry line or anything of the sort. An alternative is to grap a poncho. Google "poncho shelter" for tons of options.
    c. Various tarp configurations can be used for weather protection to include wind, snow or rain. Also, a tarp can be utilized to take advantage of natural materials such as a blow down or timber supports
    d. Basic sleeping pad if needed

B. Fire
    a. A small fire “under” a suspended tarp provides an incredible amount of warmth.
    b. Also, there are many lean-to or reflector style tarp configurations to take advantage of the fire. For a cold environ, google “tarp super shelter” and pick up some painter plastic tarps
    c. Tools: Ferro Rod (check out the various Bear Grylls gear), Cotton Balls (tinder), cheap hand saw, and cheap hatchet (or cheap machete for splitting kindling using the baton method – again, check out the BG line of goods)

C. Water
    a. You need to be able to transport and treat (boil) water. Thus the fire section above.
    b. I’ve seen GSI cookset imitations at Walmart for cheap. Check out the Stanley stuff too. Or, just grab something from the kitchen section (stainless, with lid, no double wall)

Depending on how much you spend on cutting tools (even these, not entirely necessary for fire - they can make firewood collection easier), you should have plenty left over for some comfort items such as food, a flashlight, snack bars, a lower-shelf bourbon….

Always think first about what you really need to be comfortable for one night. Heck, if you could start a fire, that is all you really need in most environments.
    ^ - this - ^

except for most of the "Bear Grylls" stuff - overly spendy for this restricted budget outing.
    "Just because you're lost doesn't mean your compass is broken"
    Charles Morse

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast