Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by La Picker View Post
    It's actually pretty simple. If the purpose of your structural ridge line is to cause the hammock to mimic a 30 (or whatever your chosen comfort zone is) degree hang and your ridgeline is slack (ie not taut), then your suspension is already at an angle of 30 degrees or greater and your ridgeline is not actually serving any purpose other than keeping your bug net out of your face and/or hanging your flashlight.

The degree (no pun) to which your suspension angle is less than 30 degrees (as in when the trees are further apart, etc.) will determine how much tension is actually applied to your structural ridgeline.

To say that your ridgeline is "right" when it has a certain amount of tension on it (as in the 90 degree bend rule) just doesn't agree with the physics of the application nor the purpose of a structural ridgeline. The only way you can cause a certain specific amount of tension to always be on your ridgeline would be to always hang your hammock at exactly the same hang angle. If your hanging scenario is that static, there's no need for the structural ridgeline to begin with (except to keep you bugnet out of your face and/or hang your flashlight).
    Bravo. VERY well said. Exactly what I was trying to convey. But, in a much more clear and concise way. God Bless

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    ^ Good stuff ^

I got rid of my ridgelines completely, except my Blackbird for the netting, and never been more comfortable. I now seem to focus on a proper setup overall instead of relying on the ridgeline to tell me, often incorrectly, what's right or wrong. Much less, or no more calf ridge as well.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Tree distance can vary and you can still maintain 30 degree hang angle. Just vary the height that you wrap your straps around the trees!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Using a stronger line is not the answer, hanging it right is, check out Papa Smurfs video on how to make sure your rl is just right..
    If your snapping zing it then it's either too tight or maybe your line was damaged and you just didn't realize it.
    +1
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Should I be worried? It is located right in the middle of my ridgeline. Not sure if I have to replace it.
    IMG_20210606_183700988.jpgIMG_20210606_184248692.jpg

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Halfed, sometimes, when we push the envelope, stuff happens.

My hammock ridgeline is 1/8 amsteel.
    My straps are Dutch’s Spider Daisy Chain Webbing.
    1/8 amsteel rated 2500 pounds
    Loops on daisy chain rated 1500 pounds
    Overall daisy chain rated 3000.

Weakest part of my suspension is 1500 pounds
    Many times my hammock ridgeline is spang tight
    Usually no problem with CRP calf ridge pressure.
    But that might due to my hammock’s size 12x6

When my hang angle is not 30* the forces on my suspension can be considerably more than my body weight.

Things can go wrong, if my hang angle is too flat.
    Something can bust:
    Strap can break
    Hammock ridgeline can break
    Hammock can rip in half***
    Tree I’m hanging on can break and fall on me snoozing in my hammock

I’ll chance it
    Unlikely to break my top notch suspension components or hammock
    Unlikely to break trees that at least look strong and healthy

***and sometimes I’m afraid I might rip hammock in half, when I set it too high off ground. When I get out there is lots of pressure on edge seam, with most of my weight on edge seam just before my feet reach ground while exiting hammock.

Sometimes I just gotta be brave
    Or oblivious to world around me

Maybe you can replace damaged hammock ridgeline with 7/64 amsteel

Or don’t do anything
    Don’t Worry, Be Hoppy

the structural ridge line is there partly for convenience (consistent hang/lay without bringing out the protractors or laser measuring rig), and partly for enabling hangs which otherwise would not be possible (and then it becomes "really structural"), but if it fails it's usually no big deal.

however, it is also protecting the hammock from unreasonable forces even when the suspension angle is not ideal, and is very cheap to replace (usually much cheaper compared to the hammock itself). so i'd say, if in doubt, replace.

take this one, isolate and remove the damaged part, and then make a few softshackles out of the pieces. softshackles are always good to have around, and fun and easy to make. or make whatever seems might be useful or fun to make. if you haven't made/spliced anything yet, looks like a good excuse to start.

ahem, btw, for next time, starting a new thread for such question would probably be perfectly reasonable (no worries, just sayin')

Phantom: if the edge seems to take all the load when you step out of the hammock, that's indeed cause for some concern, aside from making sure hang height matches your confortable sit height or lower, you can also consider to adjust the lay so the edges are less taut (if you have a hammock which is gathered with a becket hitch or whipping, instead of channels, that's easy to do), and perhaps also considering if reinforcing the edge might not make some sense for a future project (i've been considering this myself, like you, sometimes i like to hang it high). but the structural ridge line will protect the hammock from extreme forces at flat hang angles, ripping the edge as you're worried will be much more likely, and in fact quite possible, when hanging too flat and without a structural ridge line

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345