DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Somewhere around here are a few threads that address this. I think the ending of each is using the bike for one end of a stand and using a pole for the other so that you can hang your hammock and keep weight to a minimum.
    The only thing you have to add to your kit would be a pole of some sort.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm beginning to wonder why there are certain people prone to the "what if I have to go to ground?" fear, and there are others (even in Western states with few trees) who don't even consider the possibility of going to ground. I'm beginning to think that the "what if I have to go to ground?" fear is somewhat similar to the "lightning" fear.

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...ntry+lightning

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    10' 1.0 dh darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incu-Sniv-Pepper
    Suspension
    All of 'em
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder why there are certain people prone to the "what if I have to go to ground?" fear, and there are others (even in Western states with few trees) who don't even consider the possibility of going to ground. I'm beginning to think that the "what if I have to go to ground?" fear is somewhat similar to the "lightning" fear.

I can say that I have been struck by lightning more times than I have had to go to ground. But I am new to hammocking, maybe they equal out with time. Current score 1-0

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    I have yet to camp anywhere that I would give going to ground even the slightest thought, I don't understand the thought process?!? If an area is devoid of trees, I can't think of a reason I'd go.

Pick a camping method and commit to it. As I said in another thread, nobody thinks twice about crawling into a t@#t but many aren't "ready" to get the best sleep ever suspended between trees. Makes no sense to me. Yes there's a bit more to hammocks, but it's not that difficult.
    When you're touring, you don't really have much choice except to use the options available along your route. I'm no fan of ground sleeping, I'll be getting those support poles I've seen posted on here... I'd rather do that then carry a tent

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    To the OP: I don't know what the area looks like that you're envisioning where you may have to go to ground, but I've camped in places like this, and we still managed to hang. Where there's a will, there's a way. Just say "no" to ground. Especially if the ground is as rocky as this. Haha

CAM00394.jpg

Oh, and just to note: We didn't hang in that treeline on the far left of the picture. Mosquitoes were absolutely relentless over there. Really wish I would've taken a picture of the hammock bit because it was pretty glorious. Spent all my time shooting landscape photos at that location when I wasn't hiding from the little flying bloodsuckers.
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 05-25-2016 at 00:36.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    For a quick answer to your question, I would suggest you just go to a hardware store and pick up one of these. Poly cro works great for a groundsheet. Cut it in half and you will be set.

For comments...

You can use your bike to pitch your tarp. Unless you are bringing trekking poles, or have some seriously solid poles, you may find them too flexible for pitching a good size tarp on the ground in anything other than very mild conditions. My experience says that a "standard" size tent pole will turn into a noodle real quick in the wind. The bike, in my experience, yields a much more stable pitch:

IMAG2199.jpg

If you are willing to carry up to 1lb of extra weight to cover the times you find yourself in the desert, alpine, etc., and are willing to spend some $$, I would strongly suggest picking up a NeoAir Xlite pad. This, along with the polycro groundsheet, will add ~13oz to your kit and take up ~1L of space. This does mean that you have a sleeping pad that you will likely only use on the ground, and an UQ that can only be used in the hammock. You could add CCF flaps to the Neo air and use that in the hammock. I have done that before and it works okay. I personally wold pack the extra, because I sleep so much better with UQ as opposed to the XLite.

What you wiould get is a very comfortable (relative), dependable ground sleeping system. I personally use an XLite and polycro groundcloth on a regular basis and can tell you it will work well. If you know that you will be forced to ground a fair amount (ie: lots of nights in the desert or plains) I think this might be your best option. Most hammockers won't sleep as well on the ground as it is, but if you add into that a mediocre sleeping pad on hard ground...not great.

You could go without, and just plan on making the hammock work though. You might be surprised at how often you can find something that will work. As a tarp camper, I am already quite picky when it comes to site selection. I even go so far as plan my route/days around finding optimal campsites. You could do the same, just with a different definition of "optimal".

PS: I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately as I have a bikepacking trip planned for the fall, which will be entirely in the desert. Whatever you decide, try a few times in the backyard/close camps. God-speed!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF/MF
    Insulation
    Wookie/Burrow
    Suspension
    Jeff Myers
    "Go to ground" is an annoying phrase unless you're voltage.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I live in Utah and there are areas in the desert that would require going to ground. I have tried to avoid that as much as possible, but it happens.
    Go Tigers!

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    My "go to ground" emergency plan is to put my UQ in my pack, place the pack on my water proof stuff sack (that I use as a floor mat under my hammock) and place my foam pad under my feet (like in my hammock). I can rig my tarp using my hiking poles. I've tested this on a wood floor, indoors... it seemed to work pretty well, no added weight or things to carry... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

I spend too much time lounging next to the camp fire.. i need a good tough pad.. save weight using it for sleep too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast