Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you must........
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I'm like most folks here why go to ground? Also if your on a bike why are you worried about weight? I ride my bike just so I don't have to worry about weight! I have a tent set up and if I would have to go to ground because someone cut down every tree, I would carry it. Otherwise it stays in storage. Somewhere! I think? Has anybody seen my tent?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by massis View Post
    The DD is square and has ALOT of tieouts (4 on each side and a row down the middle I believe), which means you can easily stake it down with a single pole in a tent configuration, folding flaps over to make a tent with a closed entrance, or a slightly more open model like this:
    Attachment 130824

The Superfly on the other hand has a longer ridgeline, but is a hex tarp, limiting some pitching options.

I considered getting the DD 3x3 (superlight) for a while for these reasons, but then I figured I'll rarely ever use it as a tent. 95% of the time I'll be using it with my new hammock, in which case I'd have to pitch it as a diamond to get the ends of the WBBB underneath it decently, giving pretty limited coverage. So I bought a Mamajamba.
    I did not question the fact that the DD 3x3 might be better suited for ground camping, but I can't believe that the WB SF does not offer adequate weather protection. With a 3,35m ridgeline, there needs to be *a lot* of wind to blow rain on the sleeper. And even if you can't close the doors 100% (I'm not sure why, though...) it should prevent the rain from being blown in.

Sure, if you expect to sleep on the ground more often than in the hammock, I might be able to understand the decision to exchange the SF for the DD. Although in that case I would seriously consider getting a really good ground set-up and ditch the hammock. For most hammock-users, going to ground is only done in emergencies and happens probably less than 1 in 10 times. Gearing the whole set-up towards ground-camping for these couple of cases is a bit over the top. It all depends on where the priorities lie.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Here is a nice thread showing the Superfly in ground configurations: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...round)-Options

Don't tell me that this is not adequate coverage for one sleeper.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet GT
    Insulation
    Loco Libre -40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & kevlar
    There are no trees in the desert, tops of mountains and some very rocky areas like gorges they aren't very big around. Maybe the OP is doing something in those areas.

Shug's suggestion would work... but you would need a sleeping pad which the OP already sorted out...

IMHO if you are going that route and you know it if cost is not an issue..
    https://www.rei.com/product/895955/b...ek-hv-ul2-tent
    2 lbs 5 oz
    and
    https://www.rei.com/product/108446/b...ng-pad-regular
    1 lb 11 oz

So tent and pad = 4 lbs... then whatever your TQ and UQ weight (used as a make shift bag)

trying to go multi purpose probably will not be as effective weight wise as making sure you have the right gear for what you are doing...

Sorry just had to add my 2 cents as a current "grounder" looking to go into the trees I know that gear/lifestyle quite well at the moment.

I think a tent is way too much. Use the tarp and maybe an ultralight backpack that uses a z-lite as backpad. Stuff in 6 segments, which is probably enough for the body and you have your emergency ground setup for the "cost" of a few hundred grams.

Quote Originally Posted by Klemvore View Post
    There are no trees in the desert, tops of mountains and some very rocky areas like gorges they aren't very big around. Maybe the OP is doing something in those areas.
    There are also the parks that are banning anything that attaches to trees. Just last weekend our scout troop got a ticket at a state park for one lounging hammock.

For that reason I ordered the Tato hammock stand to use in car camping situations. I plan on calling it a "free standing suspended tent" so I don't get ticketed for having a "hammock".

For backpacking I plan on substituting an air mattress in place of my UQ and and if hammock hanging if forbidden or impossible due to no trees, too small or too far apart I will take a Bivy. Net gain for emergency grounding is about 1lb (for Bivy) without compromising my hammock, I mean "suspended tent" gear.

Hammock
    10' 1.0 dh darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incu-Sniv-Pepper
    Suspension
    All of 'em
    Quote Originally Posted by Klemvore View Post

IMHO if you are going that route and you know it if cost is not an issue..
    https://www.rei.com/product/895955/b...ek-hv-ul2-tent
    2 lbs 5 oz
    and
    https://www.rei.com/product/108446/b...ng-pad-regular
    1 lb 11 oz

So tent and pad = 4 lbs... then whatever your TQ and UQ weight (used as a make shift bag)
    At 4 pounds-ish, you can just go with a Clark Mark2 and be done... well, that doesn't include the pad weight. If, again, cost is not an issue. Hmmm.

Hammock
    Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE and Costco
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Had to go to the ground once when I forgot my suspension at home. It was a cold hard night. Superfly works great as a ground tent but you would need something between you and the ground. The pad idea would probably work for the ground and be OK in the hammock. Not nearly as nice as an UQ but then again an UQ doesn't work much at all for protection/comfort on the ground.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    I don't get the hole go to ground thing. Who does that? And why? Lear the Rules, the ground is evil, evil I say!

The first rule of Hammock Club is: You do not go to ground.

The second rule of Hammock Club is: YOU DO NOT GO TO GROUND!

The third rule of Hammock Club is: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, it's nap time.

The forth rule: Only one hammock to a set of trees.

Fifth rule: One hammock at a time fellas.

Sixth rule: No sharp objects or shoes in the hammock

Seventh rule: Naps will go on as long as they have to.

Eighth and final rule: If this is your first night at Hammock Club....You have to nap.
    OMG so many rules. So exhausting. I gotta nap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast