Affordable Family Camping setup. Hennessy vs Dutch vs WBBB vs Tent etc etc.

Long time lurker and now posting for the first time. Trying to figure out the best set up for family of 5. Two adults. 13,12 and 2 year old.

Moved back east from out west where we had the ability to car camp with popup camper or Kodiak Tent practically anywhere and not see anyone for days. Now we are back east and the kids are older (minus the 2 year old) and looking to get a good and somewhat lightweight backpacking setup for all of us.

I figure the cheapest way to go (to start) is to try and use some older gear I have laying around. We have an old REI Half Dome tent that I plan on having everyone else use while I go the hammock route.

So here are the final setup ideas until I hit the lottery and can get everyone in the family a hammock.

For now the wife and kids will sleep in old REI dome tent with some old thermarests. They can all split the weight up and each carry a piece of the tent (tent/fly/poles) when backpacking. This should keep each of their shelter weight carry to under 3 lbs.

I will need to buy a hammock. I have been looking at the best economical hammock setup.

1) My ideal setup would be a Dutch wide Hexon 1.6 with a Fronkey Bug Net and the tadpole Tarp. This would have run me around $270 and I would still want to get snake skins, stakes and cord for another $30 and then would also need to get UQ. The Jarbridge UQ seems to be the least expensive. That would have been another $100. Grand total would have been around $400. Total weight for shelter around 3 lbs. This setup would give me the lightness I need and removable net when there are no bugs around. I would have used a continuous ridge line without hardware like this set up:
    http://theultimatehang.com/wp-conten...eline-tarp.jpg

I also really like the WBBB XLC and the Superfly. Total weight around 3.5 lbs and cost of $350. Add UQ and I am at $450ish. Too expensive for my blood at this time.

But I can’t stop coming back to Hennessy Hammock as the most economical. I looked at the Deep Jungle Asym Zip that is on sale right now with the bigger Hex Rainfly and the Double Bubble pad. Total setup is about 2 lbs more than the dutch setup I really want.
    Not my ideal setup. I really don’t want a permanent bug net and overall heavy total weight. Which I estimate at about 5 lbs when all is said and done. But total cost is $234 and it comes with snake skins and free shipping. Not sure how I can beat that. Especially with a summer weight "UQ" built in.

Part of me really just wanted to start and DIY my own hammock and use a harbor freight $6 tarp. But I hate mosquitos and would have had to by a $50 bug net anyway. So that would have got me up to $100 for hammock and net and tarp more or less. Still would need UQ etc etc. At that point there is no sense in reinventing the wheel.

So…..I think I am just going to pull the trigger on the HH. Any input before I do? I think I will use it for a while and eventually pass it on to the wifey and get me the dutch set up down the road. The kids will most likely just end up in a HH scout or cub because for the price I don’t think you can get any better than that with rain and bug protection.

Great site you all have here! Thanks for your help!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I have two 12+ year old HHs (BackPacker UL and Scout), a Dutch 11 ft and a 12 ft DIY. They are all different, but each has it's own strengths (no negatives). I think you'll end up with with multiple set-ups. Just take your time and when selecting gathered ends think of getting interchangeable insulation,bug netting, and suspension parts. You can make a HUG bugnet for $5 and a gathered end hammock for under $10. Summer TQ and UQ are easy as well using blankets/comforters. Let me know if you would like links to 'How to DIY ideas.

P.S. I have 10 grandkids so I still don't have enough gear :>) They all love the HH Scout I have.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 05-21-2016 at 16:58.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    After trying many different setups I always come back to my HH explorer ultra light. It's comfortable and the weight is tolerable and it is built to last. Plan on swapping out the suspension though that lashing gets old fast. I would also grab a look at the loco libre cayenne pepper UQ, after shipping it's only $5 different than the Jarbridge for similar length but boasts a differential cut, full length suspension and draft collars. I own both and I feel the loco libre packs in more value and lofts significantly better due to the above features.

The HH system is a fantastic place to start in my opinion because you'll be ready to hang right away and it sounds like you can definitely put any components you want to upgrade later to use.

If you want to go at the other end of the spectrum tablecloth hammocks are very inexpensive ($10 apiece + suspension) and super easy to put together. then there are a multitude of inexpensive tarp options out there. You could probably get 2 or 3 setups with the same money and using pads temporarily instead of UQ.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I think you should make your own hammocks,gathered end style.

Very cheap for DIY and not to technical.

Use the sleeping pads in the hammocks and you could even make double layered hammocks to hold the pads.

Just use the same colour fabric to avoid the eventual fights over who wants what.

Whoopie slings are great and easy to use but require at least twice the quantity of rope.
    Tensile agricultural or marine shackles may also be a cheaper option to carabiniers.

Rated carabiniers are really expensive here and the cost of one will buy 6 rated stainless marine shackles.

Not as pretty but definitely much cheaper to set up for a whole family

20-30 bucks for fabric and some spare time gets you a great diy hammock.
    $15 for a wally world blue pad or 60 dollars to make a diy 3/4 synthetic underquilt.
    35-50 for fabric to complete a diy hex tarp.
    Sleeping bag or fleace blanket for the top side.

140 smack-a-roo's gets you a nice set up if you're welling to put in the time to plan and sew a few easy items.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    +1 on Dutch hammock and bugnet. Best to start out with a simple, gathered end hammock before you get into hammocks that require you to lay a certain direction, has year-round bug supply, etc. My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition, but I wouldn't go that route if I knew then what i know now.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pad + DIY down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    +1 on the DIY gathered end.
    I have a HH that is absolutely fantastic, just not as comfortable for me as a gathered end. You won't know that until you sleep in both styles, though. I'm 6'2" my daughter, who's 5'5" and 100# lighter, has the HH now and it works great for her. May be just preference, though.
    I've got three WL DL hammocks that we use for the rest of the family. Those are great and I got them all here from forum members.
    My first DIY single layer 11' is still a favorite. For a couple hours as a rookie sewing edges and $50+\- I would start there for hammocks.
    All the other stuff can be found here if your patient or a DIY made if you've got the time.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I think you will end up without hammock, in that tent your wife will carry all the way for you

Went through something similar, ended up with hammocks for all those who were trying to steal mine.

The idea of myself hanging over the wife and kids who sleep on the ground, was gone pretty fast

• + New Posts