Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A few tips from my UQ thrills and agony:

1. The best way I know of to sew no-see-um baffles to fabric is to use masking tape. It provides a guide of where to sew and does not allow the fabric to pucker nor the no-see-um to stretch. Sew right down the edge of the tape (not through it), remove.
    2. A spent piece of soap with a sharp edge makes a good marker on all but the lightest colored fabrics.
    3. With a differentially cut outer shell, you'll want to put a pleat at the end of each channel to take up the additional fabric. The corners can be boxed which is essentially what you did, but that "triangle" of fabric could have gone to the inside of the shell leaving a clean seam on the outside. Just aesthetics, won't affect functionality in any way.

Ambitious project! Good work.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    A few tips from my UQ thrills and agony:

1. The best way I know of to sew no-see-um baffles to fabric is to use masking tape. It provides a guide of where to sew and does not allow the fabric to pucker nor the no-see-um to stretch. Sew right down the edge of the tape (not through it), remove.
    Tried it. The tape didn't stick to the shell, nor the baffle. Like... not at all. It might as well have been paper. I've never even heard of this being a problem, but painter's tape was ineffective with my materials.

2. A spent piece of soap with a sharp edge makes a good marker on all but the lightest colored fabrics.
    Hmm. Did not try that one, definitely might be useful for someone. I'm fine with the sharpie (other than marking my lovely dining table!!! )

3. With a differentially cut outer shell, you'll want to put a pleat at the end of each channel to take up the additional fabric. The corners can be boxed which is essentially what you did, but that "triangle" of fabric could have gone to the inside of the shell leaving a clean seam on the outside. Just aesthetics, won't affect functionality in any way.
    Hmm... Good call. I didn't do pleats. Instead, I just pinned the two sides together so that the baffle lines I made in sharpie lined up. Then I guessed at a mid point, and pinned those together, and I let the imperfections distribute evenly. I'm in love with the look, but I'll bet a pleat would have been even better!

Ambitious project! Good work.
    Ahahahahahahhahaha... Yeah... I started this, and a cat-cut hex tarp (I'll post about it when it's done) last saturday, thinking if I spent the whole three day weekend on the two projects I could get them both done. I am not a smart woman. Entering week three of the projects... that said, they have both been so rewarding and fun! I caught myself daydreaming about a bivy design I saw (for southern california, where hammocks aren't a possibility) and coming up with an even more complicated design. I'm deranged; I find this all so much fun!

Minor update: down came in yesterday. Put it in and sewed it up.

IMAG0072.jpgIMAG0075.jpg

Total of 7.37 oz of down (ordered 7). Looking about on target for 12 oz, with the suspension and cinches. It's plenty warm, but it doesn't feel quite as firm (over-stuffed) as my Enlightened Equipment Enigma, so I'm minorly concerned about the slightest breeze compressing it. Otherwise, it's looking very good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12