Hammock
    1.0 HyperDIY
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY "Grey Ducks"
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

New to DIY and Need Advice on Building a Hammock.

Hello, hangers! Ive been reading this forum a lot and you guys are amazingly helpful. So, on to my question. I'm looking to go pretty light on my hammock setup, and I want to test a hammock made of 1.0oz HyperD. Im kind of on the lighter side, at 5'8" and 150lbs, so I think I might be okay. I'll be sure to test it extensively before bringing it on any trips, but do you think the material will hold up?
    Also, I've heard people say a gathered end with a sewn channel distributes weight better or something? It seems whipped ends might put too much stress on such a light material? Im not sure. Again, Im new to DIY and thought a hammock would be an easy way to dip my toes in. Any other tips would be great, too! Oh and when I hem the edges would you recommend a triple stitch seam to make sure it's secure? I think I'm going to make it around 60" wide and 10.5-11 feet long. Thanks in advance, I look forward to your answers!

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HGBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm 5' 9" 170 and have an 11ft hexon 1.0. Same material basically. Should be more than enough for you. I just do a single stitch down the sides and triple stitch the end channels. I would suggest making it 11' for sure. You should be very comfortable with not a lot of stretching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I'm about your size (5'9"/150lbs), and personally was on a lightweight kick for a long time. Almost all my hammocks were some form of 1.1/1.0 material. I did make a bridge hammock out of 1.0 Hyper D specifically.

I have since changed my tune in the past year/year and a half. I've found I'm MUCH more comfortable in a hammock made from 1.6/1.7 fabric. It's just much more supportive, and comfortable to me. The lighter fabrics really stretched to much under my weight.

I have heard the Hexon 1.0 is more supportive/less stretchy, but I haven't played with it in that weight. The Hexon 1.6 I have is definitely a bit more stable than the NylonD 1.6. The HyperD 1.0 is definitely stretchy.

Hammock
    DIY Hyper 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and pad
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I'm 140 and I use 1.0 HyperD just fine in my tests. I have yet to use it on a trip. I have also heard that they have had 300+ lbs in a test hammock before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My limited experience has been w/ENO DN, poly ripstop 1.1, and 1.9 ripstop. I have the materials to make a 1.6 HyperD hammock which will give me a decent spectrum. I guess a lot of people don't like the plastic-y feel of the poly, but I wear clothes so it doesn't bother me. It is very light and does not stretch much for my 170#. So that is an option for people wanting to prioritize lightweight w/less stretch. I believe the weight limit is less than nylon, but for my weight it has not been any issue.

xtrekker has about the best tutorial I've seen for a diy hammock. The only exception I take is that I prefer to run continuous loops through the end channels as opposed to zip ties with the CL larks headed on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_PBm_2THwk
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    1.0 HyperDIY
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY "Grey Ducks"
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Thanks for the help, everyone. Would whipped ends be fine? And what do you gentlemen use for whipping?

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    (Please read the notes in the following link carefully!)
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html

Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    There is the Warbonnet style of whipping shown here and here.

There is the XTrekker-method which is similar and shown in this video.

There is the Papasmurf method which is used on Dream Hammocks shown here and here.

And there are a lot of other solutions, some are shown in this video series.
    I use Papasmurf's method. It is strong enough for me and it is imo a bit nicer than the other methods.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I don't have extensive experience with whipping, but I've used 1.8mm synthetic blind cord. I don't know if it's poly or nylon but it seems to work well.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    It’s nice to have a light hammock but as others have said HyperD 1.0 does have some stretch. I am 190lbs and it was not for me because I like a upper medium to firm hammock.
    You have to try different fabrics and form your own opinion. It doesn’t matter what we say.
    I have made many hammocks in HyperD 1.6 and I like it a lot because it’s so soft but its at my comfort limit.
    I have also made 2 hammocks in 1.0 oz ROBIC XL ripstop nylon. It is not as soft as HyperD but still comfortable in its own way but it does not stretch as much as HyperD 1.0 and is very close to HyperD 1.6 IMO.

Whipped or channel it depends on you. A channel gives a cleaner look IMO but it’s not better.
    I made my first dedicated whipped end hammock last weekend (1.9oz fabric) and it works just fine. If you want to do a Whipped end I will recommend you roll the hem 3 times because it gives a better stopping effect so the whoopie sling wont slide of. On the picture you can see a thin green line. It’s all you need. It holds the fabric in place but it’s not structural and I tied a knot over the whoopie sling so it won’t fall off when the hammock isn’t loaded (in a bag). When you are in the hammock the whoopie sling can’t move or slide. It will always stop at the hem.
    IMG_20160519_212353.jpg
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    11.5' RBTR 1.0 HyperD Brown
    Tarp
    11' RBTR SilplyHex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MultiBckle
    At 6'1" 160 lbs I have used HyperD 1.0 and 1.6 as well as some other fabrics. I like an 11.5" hammock and have no comfort issues with the 1.0. I think a little stretch can be comfortable depending on taste, and at my weight 1.6 does not give me that stretch. Since you are well within the weight limit you can also go with a slightly longer RL length to offset the stretch. Wipped seemed stronger to me since there us no stress on a seam but that is a total guess.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast