WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you're planning to do a channel end hammock, you should triple stitch the channels. It's probably overkill, but better safe than sorry. If you are going to whip the hammock, a single row of stitches is sufficient, since the stitches do not have to carry the load.

There's no reason (other than looks) to use anything else than a single straight stitch on the rolled hems. All commercially sold hammocks I have seen have used single straight stitches on their hems.

With regards to channel end vs. whipped, read this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hipped-and-why
    Dream Hammock used to whip very lightweight hammocks because they think that it distributes the weight better. But in the thread SGT Rock wrote that his experience was exactly the opposite. I don't know who's right. If you want to be safe, use a 1.6oz fabric which is more sturdy. A 1.6oz hammock is not an awful lot heavier than a 1.0oz hammock, and as mentioned it provides more support and peace of mind. If you want to stick with a 1.0oz fabric, have a look at the 1.0oz Robic XL (also made and sold by RbtR). It is quite a bit more robust than the 1.0oz HyperD, and it's wider, too.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    Your fabric choice will probably be more about comfort than about whether or not it is "strong enough".

I find my 10ft Hexon 1.0 to be very comfortable, and I am 5'11", 190lbs. It is just as comfy as my PolyD1.6. I also have a NylonD1.0, that I like, but is a little too stretchy for me. For daytime use, just lounging on a lunch break while out mountainbiking or bouldering, I have my Pocket Hammock, which is made from Argon 67. It sees a couple of hours of use every week or so, and I have been using it for the past ~12 months. Wouldn't want to sleep in it for longer than a nap though.

If the 1.0 hammock ends up being too stretchy for you, you can always make another out of the 1.6 . Then you could chop down the 1.0 to ~9ft and make it your day use hammock. I very rarely get out on the trails without finding an excuse to put up my Pocket Hammock. At 4oz with suspension, it's hard for even a weight weenie like me to keep it out of the pack.

Let us know what you decide!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Blue Poly 8x10
    Insulation
    CCF pad, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Daisychains
    Super easy, and strong whipping - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I, I would recommend using a sewn nylon loop instead of rope though because rope will damage the fabric.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12