DIY/Blackbird XLC (soon)
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    HammockGear/Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hammock stand DIY?

Since Hammeck is no longer producing their products until further notice, is there a set of instructions to create their hammock stand as a DIY project? If not, is there something close? I have a turtledog stand already, which is awesome, but not as portable as the hammeck stand.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I think this is about as close as you will get for now. I just put mine together this weekend: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...d-style-stand?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY Starry Night
    Insulation
    LL down quilts
    Suspension
    Beetles/huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I think this is about as close as you will get for now. I just put mine together this weekend: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...d-style-stand?
    +1 to this. Read far enough in to where he finds a better bracket. I have the brackets but have yet to buy the bars and get them cut. It's on the to do list...

Hammock
    DIY/Blackbird XLC (soon)
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    HammockGear/Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's right, I remember seeing that a while ago but couldn't find it again. That is very similar. Thanks! I'll see if I can find the part about the better bracket now.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    That's definitely the way to go. I built mine and it has really worked out well. Parts are cheap enough. Read through the thread and distill what works for you. It seemed like everyone did it a little differently due to personal restrictions or lack there of.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cryosion View Post
    Since Hammeck is no longer producing their products until further notice, is there a set of instructions to create their hammock stand as a DIY project? If not, is there something close? I have a turtledog stand already, which is awesome, but not as portable as the hammeck stand.
    Here is what I did (finally after a couple of similar experiments), and have spent several happy nights using it so I think its good:
    1) Started with 2 very light weight, very strong length-wise, stainless steel collapsible shower curtain rods. Collapsed length is about 4 feet.
    2) From inside end, removed (unscrewed) caps (feet). Near that end, drilled 1/4 inch hole through both and bolted them together with 1/4 inch stainless bolt and nylon-insert nut, with additional spacer nut between them (so they have room for a carabiner to hang between).
    3) From outside end, drilled (1/8 inch) and permanently pinned the caps (feet) on, to prevent them getting sucked off when you pull them from soft ground.
    4) With each rod fully extended, drilled (1/8 inch) the inside end (near the middle) adjacent to the outside end. Here, as part of setup every night, I insert a removable 'D' pin to prevent the twist-friction joint collapsing under my weight.
    5) I invented my own 'D' pins from some very stiff 1/8 inch fence wire (with a loop bent into one end) that is just long enough to go through the inside end and protrude on each side to prevent the outside end sliding past. Through the loop I installed a keeper wire made from a paper clip that wraps 1/2 way around and catches on the other end of the pin protruding the far side, to prevent the pin falling out.
    6) I hang a 150 pound capacity carabiner over the spacer nut on the bolt between the tops of the legs, so the carabiner hangs down. The carabiner provides a place to clip in my hammock and rain fly on one side, and an extension strap on the other side extending out to twin dead-man stakes to tie it down to the ground.
    7) I invented my own dead-man stakes from 16 inch orange plastic 'Y' stakes, where I cut off the bottom 4 inches (where it gets too thin and weak to tolerate any rock). Near the middle I drilled a 1/8 inch hole. Through the hole I inserted and tied an 18 inch piece of 1/16 inch vinyl coated stainless steel wire rope as a header - similar to the wire header you would see on shark fishing hooks. The wire rope header ties to the strap from the bipod, puts tension on the stake near the middle (6 inches under ground after you pound them in), and cuts through most soil easier than a larger rope would.
    8) To deploy, find a single tree or telephone pole or solid fence post and attach tree strap, then attach rain fly and hammock, then attach bipod, then attach extension strap and dead-men.

Voila! (If you make 2 bipods like this, which I did, then you don't need any trees at all, and you can hang in the middle of a field!)

IMG_20160415_191335.jpg
    IMG_20160415_191356.jpg
    IMG_20160415_191412.jpg
    Last edited by Sspoonless; 07-11-2016 at 19:59.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    There's also the Tato stand that's somewhat compact as well as there newer version that completely collapses for car camping. Here's a picture of mine.
    20160611_103548 (1).jpg

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryosion View Post
    I really like the TATO stand. I have not used it for an overnight…. Yet. But I am looking forward to it.

It will work in a treeless local plus I could put it in the trunk of my Honda Civic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpalm2x View Post
    I really like the TATO stand. I have not used it for an overnight…. Yet. But I am looking forward to it.
    I've been going out to their web site for 2 months to try and order one... always out of stock. Pretty annoying... they could at least post a status saying when they will be accepting new orders. I get it that Kickstarter supporters get theirs first... it's hard to do business with some companies....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts