Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Thanks to The Ultimate Hang I learned to look up... I posted this in another thread, but just recently (because, well, I haven't been hammocking all that long) we were staying at the lake and while the boys were fishing the girls and I opted for hammock time instead. I got them set up and went to loop around what was the perfect tree - at eye level. I looked up to find just a couple feet higher the bark was completely gone and wood was rotting away... all the way to the top which was probably 15-20' up. It wasn't a large tree anyway, so I cringe to think what would have happened had I just kept going. I can just about guarantee one or both of my girls would have been in line with whatever came down
    Homeschooling mom to 4 little ones (8 and under)... Doing my best to enjoy this stage of life

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    1. Easy access to water if possible.
    2. Relationship to prevailing wind. (Blocked in winter, available in summer.)
    3. Flat if possibe.
    4. Decent ground cover - not swamp or mud for instance.
    5. Free from dangerous trees.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by GoatHanger View Post

Everything sounds more ominous in pitch black darkness while it's raining and in the middle of the night while in the backwoods though, haha.
    When I go out alone, i have to try to tire myself out and fall asleep by 11. If I miss that window, I'll be on guard duty.. meaning i'll wake up every hour (not by choice) to any sound in the woods. The worst is at established campgrounds, i've had plenty of all out wars with raccoon platoons.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johanthegnarler View Post
    i've had plenty of all out wars with raccoon platoons.
    Just about spit my coffee all over. Lol
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by johanthegnarler View Post
    The worst is at established campgrounds, i've had plenty of all out wars with raccoon platoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    Just about spit my coffee all over. Lol
    Me too
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Though there are pictures and words that about the ability to hang on a slope, when I tried it, ONCE, I found out that everything else, pack, water bottle, food bag, etc. wanted to roll down hill. Level ground is good. Next is wind consideration. I no longer seek the hill/mountain top. It's easy to just walk to the nice view. But wrangling a tarp in wind is not fun.

For critters, more out of curiosity, if I'm alone, I bring a small motion activated LED light. Not only does it light up when I make that after midnite visit, but I'm guessing invading critter would trigger it too. It goes out by itself after 3 - 5 minutes. If I'm with others, I just use my flashlight kept pointed at the ground. It's amazing how many people don't realize what they are doing to others as they swing their 100+ lumen flashlight around a camp area.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    My ideal would be near moving water i.e. a river or stream - less mosquitoes, nice sounds, access to (usually) better water, a slight breeze for those hot nights....

If there's no great "view" to be seen, and I've arrived early enough to see everything, I like spots where the light filters through the trees. If it's too dark, I won't wake up, and I like the view of the sunrise shining through. In fact, since I don't stay and camp for more than one or two nights, I think I might prefer these spots - so peaceful.

Wherever it is, I'll be sure to be well away from both human and animal trails.

In addition to widow makers, I stay away from thorns. Those things can tear through not just the nylon, but you as well, and aren't alway noticeable at first. If the choice is rock or rock covered by pine needles (Canadian Shield), I opt for the rocks that are the least sharp. If possible, stay away from swamps, you'll get eaten alive. And of course, poison ivy is a no-no.

In the colder months, I'll opt for the pines. If a storm is coming, I look for coverage on all sides.

If I have to hang on a slope, I try to make sure there's something jetting out (land, rock or log) for my feet to land on when getting out/getting in - something that levels things off a bit.

If there's a choice between rock, sand and grass, and the temperatures dip significantly at night, I opt for the rock - they hold heat from the day and release it over the night, sand is freezing at night, and earth is somewhere in between.

Wow! Until I wrote this, I didn't realise how much I looked for in a site.

Oh! And NEVER underestimate the racoon gangs; they start them early.

I definitely suggest the ultimate hang! awesome read full of great info. I look forward to my first backpacking hammock trip. If I don't get one in this summer (it's not looking good schedule-wise right now) I'm definitely doing an overnight hunting trip this year at least once and will be hammock camping it.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    having water nearby is huge if you can swing it.

otherwise, a nice view and/or immediate area; decent ground to walk on while in camp.

this video is LOONG [designed so to punish relatives]. its a two day hike. DAY ONE was settling for a site on a mountain top. the slope was probably 30* or so; not a choice site, but doable. DAY TWO is a choice site by a stream.

the contrast shows the choices hammockers make at times, and why.

EDIT: i rarely, if ever, hit an existing site. IF i do, i'm certain i'm the only one around.

I am going to watch this video later. I love the Little Missouri! I also live in Arkansas, and head up to that area every chance I get. Hanging out on the banks of that crystal clear water on a hot day is just so refreshing.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    My walks are mostly off track.

On my ridgeline walks I usually camp a couple of metres from the cliff line/view point, hanging from whatever's available. Sometimes i need to get creative, saplings & tree, rock & tree etc etc. Minimum hang for me is 3m so usually find something to hang from. Always look up for rotten widowmakers & below for rocky backbreaker's...just in case suspension fails.
    Pack & contents hang from nearby tree with its pack cover on, mainly to protect from rain & any ground critters...if a brushtailed possum want in on the action at least I can here the pack rustling & do something about it.
    Site needs to be protected enough from those swirling, buffeting, blustery winds that sneak up on you on those ridges & peaks. The trees up here are twisted & gnarly for a reason.
    Waters always an issue, so I have a overnight 1litre minimum, 500ml for cooking & another 500ml for rehydration. Searching for dripping soaks in steep terrain is not my thing..but if I have to I will.

Exploring rivers & creeks for trout, eel, crayfish, waterfalls & gorges l usually hang on the inside of bends or above the floodline...just in case. 12-24hrs of constant rain makes for a angry rising river & I don't want to be caught out by a flash flood.
    Lots of firewood high & dry from the last flood, so its the only time i have the luxury of a open fire, always below the flood line, so that any evidence of it will be washed away in the next flood, plus there's water on hand to douse the fire.

My basic thought process,
    Ofuros
    Last edited by ofuros; 06-11-2016 at 17:53.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast